Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Build Something SMALL Competition 2023 'The Potato Peel Award'  (Read 14314 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Build Something SMALL Competition 2023 'The Potato Peel Award'
« on: September 10, 2023, 01:06:07 PM »
This description has been wildly plagiarised from my 2023 post for the Build Something Competition 2023, which in turn plagiarised Hammers’ similar post for the 2021 BSC.

Unlike the BSC, the Build Something Small Competition for 2023 has NO THEME.
That’s right, it can be a Palaeolithic, Roman, Napoleonic, Cold War, Sci Fi, Fantasy tree or garden shed or fountain or outhouse or forge or whatever. BUT there are constraints, to make sure it is small, and also to tie it down a little bit. You might not agree with some of them, but this is the first and also experimental run of this, and it is intended for fun too, so lets just see how it works.

CONSTRAINTS
1)   The model should represent scenery, and should not be any figure which can be used as a unit or soldier or adventurer, but would represent an object or plant. If a vehicle, it should still be something used as scenery (e.g. an un-towed trailer, the wreckage of a car)
2)   The size of the plan area (or base) of the object should not exceed 6 “ in any dimension, so the largest base area possible is 6” x 6”, that is, one quarter of a 1’ x 1’ board. 15 cm x 15 cm is equally ok of course! The height is a little more generous, 10” (just about 25 cm), for anyone with monolithic aspirations.
3)   As in the case of the Build Something Competition (regular size), the aim is to build something from scratch, or at least mostly from scratch. A maximum of 25 % of parts, or a maximum of 25 % of the volume of the build, can be commercial or 3D-printed, but not more. So, for example, if you design a steam donkey (not a bad idea! – and yes, they exist, and are NOT steampunk animals) and end up using twenty parts, and only one part is 3D printed or commercial, a large boiler which is more than half the size of the whole model, this is still no go.
4)   As in the case of the regular BSC, pics of the build are expected, but the finished, painted object is left unseen until the voting phase – more details about this below.

GENERAL RULES
Please use this child board in the Workbench section to post your build threads – there is no dedicated section for the BSSC, so we will use the BSC one, as they are similar.

The official start date is 01:00 GMT Saturday 16th September 2023, and all applicants must notify their intent to take part on the registration thread by Saturday 23rd September 2023 at the latest. They will then be listed in the registration post. The list of entrants will be in order of which their intent has been posted. Please let me know if your username is wrong in my list.

YOU CAN START YOUR BUILD THREAD IN THIS SUB-FORUM DIRECTLY.

Please name your thread according to this pattern:

BSMALL2023 <member name> <build title>  - for example, 'BSMALL2023 Vanvlak Steam Donkey', where ‘Vanvlak’ would be the user's forum name and 'Steam Donkey' would be the object being built.
One entry per member (no joint contributions).

DEADLINE
Finished entries must be submitted no later than midnight Sat 14th October 2023, and the voting will start shortly after. This is a small build, hence the 4-week deadline.
The build threads of the entrants should include as many progress shots as possible, including sketches, sources of inspiration etc. NO PHOTOS OF THE FINISHED ENTRY SHOULD BE POSTED ON THE THREAD - painting in progress is not allowed, only primed entries are permissible on the build threads - if you are unsure then please ask. I would however turn a blind eye to small details which have to be finished before assembly (for example a pressure gauge for the steam donkey).
 Keep in mind that the documentation of the build process has some impact on how people vote.

The first entries must consist of either one photo OR a photo-montage of the finished piece. No photo manipulation will be allowed apart from cropping, white balance and contrast within reason. Again, if you are unsure then please ask. You may include one separate 'standard' figure in the final entry photo to indicate the relative size of the entry.
Photo size should be 1000x1000 pixels and sent as a jpeg to bsc2022submission@gmail.com- yes, I know, I am using the same old email address from 2022.
Depending on the number of entries, voting will take place in one or more group, and then, again depending of the number of entries, the top one or two entries of each group will advance to a final vote.
You will be allowed to enter new photos between rounds if you like. It has proven a good idea to keep interest up among voters.
For the last round you will be allowed to use your build in a "fully dramatized" setting, meaning placing the model on a game board surrounded with as many wargames miniatures you like.

A NOTE ON BIAS AND CONDUCT
I (Vanvlak) will, hopefully be entering a build myself. If you think that is unfair (keep in mind I never do well in these competitions!), that’s fine, I will just have fun building a small whatever.
While everyone is allowed, as per usual, to comment in progress threads, please keep things encouraging and constructive.
Although winners will be voted by the members collective of the LAF, if there is any sense of foul play the judges’ decision is final, although we would hope that it won't be necessary given the friendly nature of the LAF.

SOME FINAL INDICATIONS
One feature of the entries is that they should be practical gaming or scenery pieces, so no varnished walnut veneer bases or artful backdrops with LEDs and baroque or rococo trimmings.
Any period or setting is allowed as long as it fits with the theme including sci-fi, historical, pulp, fantasy etc.

If you have any questions either ask them here or via pm, but please label your pm Build Something 2023.

It's not possible to cover all the eventualities, so please use your common sense and play fair. :D
Post any rules queries and comments as replies.

Note: The name 'The Potato Cup' for the BSC comes from an early run of the competition where a number of items were offered to the winner, among them a raw unpeeled potato. The winner picked the potato. The name stuck. I thought it only fitting to call the fictional prize of this small offshoot ‘The Potato Peel Award’.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Build Something SMALL Competition 2023 'The Potato Peel Award'
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 11:24:41 PM »
I am onboard. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 08:54:30 AM »
I'm up for it, though (at the moment) I have no idea what I'll make.

No that is not strictly true. I have LOTS of ideas, just not a clue as to what I'll make.

Offline Tarnegol

• Librarian
    • My Biblical Wargaming blog.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 09:35:18 AM »
I'll play! Not Biblical this time!
"One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off."

Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Offline McMordain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 09:38:35 AM »
I'm in. No idea yet what I will not finish this time though  :D

Bear Pirates Go To Hell!

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 03:48:43 PM »
I’m in, I have an idea what I can do  :D

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 04:38:25 PM »
I am in as well, a first for me and it might give me good motivation for making a thing!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 06:06:36 PM »
Great - thanks guys!
I still need to come up with an idea for my own entry.
Hope you have some fun with this.  :D

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 07:58:16 PM »
I think I can do this. Probably something SciFi'ish as I need some tabletop bits and bobs for my 5 Parsecs From Home campaign I hope to start this winter.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 08:30:21 PM »
I am in, I have an idea that should be fairly easy to do,

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 05:10:25 PM »
I'm in.
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Online Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 09:55:05 PM »
Count me in.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 05:04:51 PM »
Good show, there might be a future to this BSSC  :D

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 03:13:08 AM »
Always down to start & not finish another terrain project!

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2023, 03:28:41 PM »
@vanlak is it too late to add me to the list?