Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kolin 1757 Refight - AAR Added  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
Kolin 1757 Refight - AAR Added
« on: January 13, 2023, 10:38:52 PM »
We've been setting up the table for tomorrow's Kolin refight, so here are a few pre-game pictures. 

I initially set the table up with only the Austrian formations that Frederick could see, so the first few photos feature all the Prussians, but not many Austrians.  Once Fred had issued his orders, I stuck the remaining Austrians on the table. 

Note that a lot of the units are on single linear bases, so when they're in column, we stick an MDF arrow next to them, to show direction of march.  The single-based units are MUCH quicker to set up and move than the traditional 3-4 bases per battalion:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 05:49:00 PM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
Re: Kolin 1757 Refight
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2023, 05:25:13 PM »
Lovely pics there.  Now we await the dispatches from the field of battle... :D
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Online Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Kolin 1757 Refight
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2023, 11:21:44 PM »
That’s very impressive! I’m looking forward to being able to run a game that looks similar, but in 10mm. Someday!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
Re: Kolin 1757 Refight - AAR Added
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 05:49:23 PM »

Offline Aethelflaeda was framed

• Scientist
  • aka Mick the Metalsmith
    • Michael Hayman Handmade Celtic Jewelry
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 02:54:29 PM »
I have often wondered if the utility of single stand battalions and a formation marker would be efficient enough to outweigh the visual incongruity it causes.  After playing lots of napoleonic brigade games without formation concerns, I thought maybe in a battalion game such a practice might be just as good.  Moving lots fiddly stands really can slow a game to a crawl.
Mick

aka Mick the Metalsmith
www.michaelhaymanjewelry.com

Margate and New Orleans

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 03:54:07 PM »
I have often wondered if the utility of single stand battalions and a formation marker would be efficient enough to outweigh the visual incongruity it causes.  After playing lots of napoleonic brigade games without formation concerns, I thought maybe in a battalion game such a practice might be just as good.  Moving lots fiddly stands really can slow a game to a crawl.
Yes indeed.  I don't think I'd do it for Napoleonics, where changes of formation are commonplace, but it really does work for the 18th Century, where almost everything is generally either in line or in open column of half-companies, where the depth of the column equates to the frontage of a line.

Funnily enough, this was one of those games where almost all the units started the game in column, but 99% of the time, line is the only formation used (certainly once they make tactical contact).

There were originally some raised eyebrows at the club, but everyone who's used them agrees that single-base battalions are the way to go. :)

Offline ChrisBBB

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 06:48:23 AM »
What a magnificent spectacle! Rather puts in the shade our own fumbling effort at Kolin last Monday:
https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2023/01/seven-years-war-action-at-kolin.html

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 12:52:56 PM »
Hello Mark - what a great and elaborate AAR indeed! Great photos and gaming, but what a tragic turn of events. After Ziethen´s Blitzsieg on the left flank I could not resist and jumped to the end of the report, to see if the final outcome would please my Prussian heart - well, it is Kolin after all....

Cheers

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 02:02:49 PM »
What a magnificent spectacle! Rather puts in the shade our own fumbling effort at Kolin last Monday:
https://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.com/2023/01/seven-years-war-action-at-kolin.html
Thank you!  Not at all!  Yours is ace and it's very rare that we get an opportunity to play on a 13-foot table.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 02:03:43 PM »
Hello Mark - what a great and elaborate AAR indeed! Great photos and gaming, but what a tragic turn of events. After Ziethen´s Blitzsieg on the left flank I could not resist and jumped to the end of the report, to see if the final outcome would please my Prussian heart - well, it is Kolin after all....

Cheers
Cheers GW!  If it's any consolation, Fred is still claiming a draw...  lol

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 05:45:56 PM »
Cheers GW!  If it's any consolation, Fred is still claiming a draw...  lol

Uh huh.  It's his story, I suppose.... 8)

I'm sure the Ostreichers were well on their way to victory over Herr Freddy.  Repeating history, as it were.  But I suppose we'll never know for sure, with you all having been called for tea and your baths.... :D

BTW, perfectly lovely table, minis, and terrain.  Well done, regardless of who the ultimate victor might have been...

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2023, 06:24:03 PM »
Uh huh.  It's his story, I suppose.... 8)

I'm sure the Ostreichers were well on their way to victory over Herr Freddy.  Repeating history, as it were.  But I suppose we'll never know for sure, with you all having been called for tea and your baths.... :D

BTW, perfectly lovely table, minis, and terrain.  Well done, regardless of who the ultimate victor might have been...
Cheers!  :D

ONE day I'll have my own table at home and can go back to playing two-day games, but until then...  :'(

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 05:44:44 PM »
Fantastic looking game and superb AAR!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 06:05:31 PM »
Cheers!  :D

ONE day I'll have my own table at home and can go back to playing two-day games, but until then...  :'(

Yeah - I know what you mean.  I've been lucky the last 4 years - I now have a dedicated wargaming building...but I remember prior to that when I gamed in my living room at the house...

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 08:02:26 PM »
Fantastic looking game and superb AAR!
Thanks MG!  :D