Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686468
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Austerlitz, a solo refight part 1/part 2 added 25/11  (Read 8135 times)

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Austerlitz, a solo refight part 1/part 2 added 25/11
« on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:29 AM »
The Battle of Austerlitz
Having become somewhat frustrated with the slowness of my painting and progress towards my unrealistic painting goals lately, I decided to take a break from this and set up a solo game in the hope that this would both provide me with some enjoyment and relaxation and also kick start my enthusiasm and spur me on to complete unfinished projects once again.
I’ve been hankering to play a large game again recently and with my children at University the spare bedrooms meant that if I could be bothered to move some furniture, I could set up a 12 x5 table and leave it in place and play a turn or two over several days or even weeks
Thumbing through Dave Brown’s Napoleonic Scenarios No3 booklet I found the perfect solution in the scenarios presenting part of the Battle of Austerlitz in 3 parts. These were
•   Part 1 : The attack on the Pratzaberg
•   Part 2 : Attack on Stare-Vinohrady
•   Part 3 : The attack of the Russian Guard
Delighted to find that all 3 scenarios could be fought as one large game on a 12 foot table I set about organising my figures and preparing roster sheets. Then I thought it would be pretty good if I could combine the game with a write up and photo shoot. So here we go
The table:
The Pratzaberg side

The Stare-Vinohrady side

Here are some of the combatants

At the time of writing I’m through to turn 12 and of course am using Dave Brown’s GdeB rules
1.   Attack on the Pratzaberg depicts St Hilaire’s elite division ( Brigades Morand, Thiebault and Were) in its attack on the southernmost high point the Pratzenberg involving 12 battalions and 2 gun batteries against Kollowrath’s poor troops made up from Kaiminski’s Russian Brigade and Jurzik’s and Weyrother’s Austrian Brigades. The allied force is composed of 14 smaller battalions and 3 batteries about half of which are conscripts

2.   In the attack on Stare-Vinohrady  Vandamme’s veteran division (Schiner, Ferray, Candas and Were -12 battalions & 4 guns) attacks the more northern heights held by Miloradovich’s depleted Russian regiments (Brigades Repininski and Berg) and Rotturmund’s Austrian troops (12 battalions & several small gun batteries)

3.   The third scenario introduces the French reinforcements lead by Drouet ( Werle & Frere) another 8 battalions & 1 battery along with Napoleon himself and The Chasseur a Cheval and Grenadier a Cheval Regiments of the Imperial Guard. Opposing them is the Russian Imperial Guard led by Constantine and comprising of 10 battalions and 2 batteries (Brigades Depreradovich I and Labanov) along with the Russian Guard cavalry of Depreradovich II and Jankovich.

Clear as mud?
Here are a few pictures at the start of the battle that might illustrate it a little more clearly before any reinforcements have arrived. This is how the battlefield looks from the French left flank

The village of Pratze is roughly in the middle of the table, the battle for Pratzen heights is on the right and that for Stare-Vinohrady is on the left. Reinforcements will eventually arrive in the middle of the table

Turn 1:
The French advance with engage orders all along the front
The allies are on hold orders but Kaminski’s Russian Brigade starts the marching off the Pratzen heights towards the French lines and fails to change its order from move to hold

Turn 2:
Pratzen
Kaminski reverts to hold orders and hurriedly deploys to meet the French whilst Morand sends out a light battalion in skirmish order

SV
Vandamme advances through the mist on the waiting Allies, his limbered artillery takes the first casualties from the Austrian battery but passes its formation test

Turn 3:
 The allies win the initiative again, not a lot happens, Were’s Brigade arrives behind the village of Pratzen

Turn 4:
Pratzen
Were’s Brigade marches towards Pratzen
St Hilaire’s division engages Kaminski’s brigade who deploys in line (historical Brigade Formation rule applies to allies) whist beginning to come under artillery fire

SV
The French come on in the same old way

Turn 5:
Pratzen
Finally Weyrother’s Austrians (mainly conscripts) receive a change of orders and advance over the heights to support Kaminski

The French artillery are deployed and already in canister range

SV
The 2nd 46th Ligne gives the Smolensk battalion a bit of hot musket fire and causes 5 casualties but takes quite a few back whilst the 1st 46th Ligne causes 25% casualties on another of the Smolensk battalions

Meanwhile the 24th Léger in open order start to drive away the small Austrian artillery battery deployed ahead of Stare-Vinohrady

Things aren’t all bad for the Austrians though as two of the 6 battalions of the Salzburg IR23 regiment cause the 1/4th Ligne to falter under withering fire 9not bad for a 2nd class regiment in their opening volleys)

Turn 6:
Things are hotting up a bit now
Pratzen
The Russian 6 gun battery has taken enough casualties by now to lose a gun model but the double six hit from the 8pdr French battery now causes it to retire whist its exploding caisson mortally wounds Kaminski. The Russians will need to despatch an ADC to take over the command of the brigade

The 2/14th Ligne give the Ryzan regiment a bloody nose with a volley causing 5 casualties but the other Ryzan battalion are fortunate that poor dice in a 1st shot from the elite 12pdr French battery means they are not rendered completely insensible by fire! And they are lucky only to take 2 casualties

With its artillery in disarray and a battalion in rout the dearly departed Kaminski’s Brigade must take a brigade moral test with its general killed, but wait for it throws a double six and stands its ground!

SV
Repininski’s brigade is in trouble with a faltering Smolensk battalion being charged by the 2/57th Ligne and it routs and loses its battalion gun.

On the French left flank though a battalion of the Salzburg IR23 regiment follow up its musketry by charging the faltering 1/4th Ligne who retire before contact is made and the Austrians look to be comfortable holding this part of the line

Turn 7:
Both sides see the arrival of reinforcements with Werle’s brigade arriving on the French side and the infantry of the Russian Guard arriving in the Russian centre whilst the remainder of the Russians are still off table but moving laterally. There are musketry duels along the length of the battlefield but in general the French usually seem to get the better of it

At Pratzen the large Russian battery reforms but at the SV table a battalion of the Smolensk regiment finally disperses and the weight of its casualties

Turn 8:
Much of the same really, the French continue to press forward a there is a general exchange of musket fire along the line. The Austrian C in C manages to encourage Jurczik’s brigade to advance and engage the advancing French but for the most part, the French brigadiers are chomping at the bit but because they have generally been ordered to engage are finding it impossible to let loose their columns and charge home as they would really like and so remain patient

Drouet’s infantry arrives this turn but is held in reserve around Pratze to await unfolding events

Turn 9:
There is now generally more activity and urgency on the part of the French

Pratzen
The assaults finally begin and Thiebault is ordered to assault rather than engage
The 1/36th Ligne charge the Ryzan regiment who fail to stop the charge with musket fire and they rout after failing to stop the charge of the Frenchmen, the 2nd Ryzan regiment nearby also decides discretion is the better part of valour and retreat whilst the Ryzan Grenadiers show signs of indecision and are left faltering ahead of the advancing Frenchmen

SV

The 1st& 2nd 24th Léger in open order have gradually gained the upper hand over the conscripts of the Kaunitz IR 20 regiment and Ausperg IR 24 regiment in the vineyards below Stare-Vinohrady and the former’s morale finally gives way and is forced to retreat towards the Austrian baseline through the vines and takes shelter behind SV. This gallant brigade of conscripts somehow stands in the face of its better trained French opponents but the persistent musketry is gradually whittling away at its strength and its small battalions find it almost impossible to cause  their opponent similar distress

Having lost its sister battalion the remaining Smolensk regiment can no longer hold back the advancing French and buckles under the weight of fire, and though having lost 50% of its strength is forced to leave the field though its ensuing morale throw sees it leave the field of battle not in rout but with honour

Turns 10 & 11:
Pratzen
Remember the faltering Ryzan Grenadiers, they are now charged by the 2/14th
 Line and are clearly in dire straits until they throw a double six halting the French in their tracks so that they falter and to add insult to injury narrowly miss ..... but kill his ADC

SV
Ever gallant and holding the Allied right flank the Salzburg IR23 regiment halt and retire the charging 1/4th Ligne by inflicting 6 casualties

Turn 12:
Pratzen
The 2/36th Ligne finally clear away the faltering Ryzan grenadiers when they charge in column bundling the retreating grenadiers into the conscripts of the  Mitrowsky IR 40 behind them. This will have dire consequences for the unformed hapless Austrians.

It’s clear by now that command of Kaminski’s brigade is a poisoned chalice as the replacing
ADC is lightly wounded by skirmisher fire and forced to retire behind the main line for treatment. In general things aren’t going too well for the Russians as the battery that returned to the line is reduced to 50% casualties by the elite French artillery

SV
Seeking to gain the upper hand 2 battalions of the Salzburg  follow up their exploits with the musket and attempt to charge the faltering 1/4th Ligne. Somehow despite receiving minimal casualties as they prepare to close the Austrians have second thoughts and cannot be  
persuaded to close and make contact

Finally in the vineyards the 2/24th Léger overcome the Auersperg IR 24 regiment causing  4 figure casualties and wounding the Brigade general

Turn 13:

Pratzen
Mitrowsky’s regiment now meets its end, unformed and charged by the 2/14th Ligne in column it cannot do anything but rout whilst alongside it the remaining Austrian artillery bear the brunt of French counter battery fire with canister (D12 +6 +1 -2 =7 casualties)
The only Allied guns now remaining on the Pratzen are 3pdrs whilst Weyrother becomes the 2nd allied general to get his horse shot from under him.

SV
The Russians commit some reserves as the Grenadiers march towards Stare-Vinohrady as  the remainder advance in the centre to support Berg’s brigade and engage Candas’ advancing French whilst Vandamme prepares to assault  Stare-Vinohrad .

Consequently Ferrey is finally ordered to assault and the 2/14th Ligne clear the vineyards approaching the town

The resultant exchanges see the Auersperg regiment rout and another Austrian battery leave the field

The morale phase proves to be decisive this turn and the allies really begin to suffer even though the remaining Ryzan battalions rally Wetrother’s brigade with 2 units retreating and another routing breaks and leaves a gaping hole on the Pratzen heights

To be continued....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:17:57 AM by valleyboy »
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Austerlitz, a solo refight part 1
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:50:47 AM »
Wow! Great set up. You've got me wanting to paint my Napoleonics if that counts!

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »
Awesome!
Thank you very much for sharing.

Having become somewhat frustrated with the slowness of my painting and progress towards my unrealistic painting goals
I know that one :D

I´m waiting for part two!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »
A REAL wargame!  :-*

Awesome!

Offline Oleg

• Bookworm
    • http://allworldgame-oleg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »
Perfectly!!! Fine game, is a lot of figures, good photos!! :-*

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
Re: Austerlitz, a solo refight part 1/part 2 added 25/11
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Here we go gennts
part 2
took an age to write up and photograph o_o
Austerlitz Part Two
Turn 14
It now appears that the battle is entering a decisive phase. When we left it, the French were making steady progress advancing upwards over the Pratzen heights and pushing back Kaminski’s Russians whilst Weyrother’s Austrian brigade has already broken and leaves a hole in the line.
Unfortunately there are no available cavalry to exploit the situation

Meanwhile at Stare-Vinohrady the French press onwards and are about to assault the village with 2 battalions and succeed in clearing the village with reasonable ease

The Russians meanwhile are attempting to get closer to the village with Labanov’s Grenadiers whilst the arrival of the Russian guard should restore the balance in the Russian centre to the left of Stare-Vinohrady

Pratzen
The French are gradually ascending the heights pushing back Kaminski’s brigade. Weyrother stunned and fearful of getting back on yet another horse finds that once he’s rallied his brigade he only has 2 remaining battalions and cannot hope to plug the gap effectively with these conscripts

Jurcik’s brigade is now under threat from the advancing Horse grenadiers and its battalions have no opportunity to form square

Stare-Vinohrady

The appearance of the Russian Guard seems to have stabilised any threat to the centre and Candas in the French centre may eventually find himself heavily outnumbered particularly as the uncommitted French reserve –i.e. Werle’s fails to respond to orders and remains inactive around the village of Pratze
In general all along the line battalions are tattered remnants of what they once were having suffered brutally from repeated exchanges of musket fire. In general the French with their bigger battalions and better training have had the best of these exchanges. There are several battalions on both sides with casualties approaching as much as 30%

The Austrian right flank held by Rottermund is by now looking increasingly exposed with the French Léger battalions in Grandes Bandes in particular tying down and having the better of the fire fight with the defending Austrians

Pratzen
The Guard horse Grenadiers seize the opportunity and charge the Czartoriski IR9 Regiment (10) – not in square and these failing to fire their muskets effectively, they predictably lose the melee with the cavalry and lose 16 casualties. Fortunately for their comrade battalions nearby these elite horsemen fail to rally immediately and return to the shelter of their own lines

Not all is going the way of the Emperor though - 
Stare-Vinohrady
The 1st 55 Ligne attempts to charge and clear away Berg’s stubborn Russians holding the high ground near SV. The attempt is risky as the 55th has already taken a high number of casualties from musket fire to date. The battalion commander however spurs his men to one last effort knowing that the Chasseurs a cheval are also charging part of the line formed by the Little Russia Grenadiers.

However, standing fast in line to receive these charges the Little Russians come up with a big throw – the double six repulses and falters both the battered infantry and the cocky Guard Chasseurs a Cheval.

Nearby The 2nd 57th (220) is charged by a battalion of the  Preobrajenski guard with no preamble, (forgive the substitute figures in mitre caps of the Pavlov grenadiers) whilst a battalion of the  Semenovsky Guard decide not to sit in front of Guard Horse artillery and make a desperate charge. Somehow they take only 1 casualty in this charge and clatter into the artillerymen that are defending their guns to the last

By the time the smoke from the musketry has cleared and bayonets have been crossed we find that the morale of the 1st 55th has plummeted after its reckless attempt to charge attempt to charge and disperses. Similarly the gunners of the Horse Guard Artillery are scattered in their failed attempt to defend their guns against the menace of the Russian guardsmen.
Just outside Stare-Vinohrady the 1/43rd line in vineyards finds itself being charged by 2 battalions of Grenadiers from Labanov’s brigade.

This is where the rot, beginning to creep into the advancing French stops since its effective fire halts both battalions, causing 1 to retreat and the other  to falter in front of their steady muskets

On the extreme French left flank the 1/4th Ligne now puts an oblique charge into exposed Salzburg Regiment

Turn 15
Again Werle’s French brigade in reserve fail to get their orders, they fail to move to the high ground left of Stare-Vinohrady and engage the Advancing Russian Guard

Pratzen
At Pratzen the Fangoria regiment on the Allied left flank is charged by the 10th Léger and fails its morale, dispersing because of its 35% casualties
Meanwhile 1/14 Ligne has an ideal opportunity to charge the flank of the Fangoria grenadiers but falter despite the apparent encouragement they have from seeing Russians leaving the field.

The 2nd 43rd (210) charge the Wurttemburg IR38 from Jurcik’s brigade. The French are in line but the Austrians are pinned in square by the nearby horse grenadiers but things aren’t going too well this turn for the French and they falter despite not having taken any musket casualties. What’s happening on the French side, just as they seem to have the opportunity to deal the decisive killing blow with 2 apparently easy opportunities they fail to charge home? Will this have dire consequences?

Stare-Vinohrady

The gallant 1/57th Ligne who managed to stop 2 battalions of Labanov’s grenadiers with their well aimed musketry now get an opportunity to charge through the vineyards at the faltering Russians. French commander gets his dice right and thy charge home

The 1/4th remained in good order after causing the battalions on the extreme right  Austrian flank to withdraw when they attempted to charge last turn and now, remaining in good order an charge the flank of Salzburg IR23 Regt who also decide discretion is the better part if valour and rout

Meanwhile on the high ground towards the centre of the battlefield the Russians put a few charges of their own – when 2 Guard battalions both charge the 2nd/46 which has been in the thick of the fighting all day. With musket fire it falters one of the advancing Russian Guard but when the other closes retreats down the hill allowing the attacking Russians to attack the 2nd 57th but these meet the advancing Russians with cold steel of their own and in the ensuing melee they fight to a standstill with no clear outcome. Overall though, at this point it seems that the introduction of the Russian Guard in the centre of the table has gradually restored the balance with the Russians gradually managing to overcome the exhausted French infantry and retain control of the centre.

Why does Werle’s Brigade not advance to my aid questions the hard fighting General Candas? By this time the gallant fellow has only 1 battalion occupying the heights? 

Meanwhile on the Russian side Depreradovich agonises as to whether or not he should unleash the might of the Russian Guard Cavalry but decides to wait a short time and hold them back as to his right the Russians are preparing an attack to retake Stare-Vinohrady.

Here behind the town itself there are 2 battalions of Salzburg IR 23 (there are 6 in total and these are relatively untouched). Though still like the remainder of the brigade in line they manage to charge comforted by the thought that Labanov’s remaining uncommitted Grenadier battalion will be accompanying them in their endeavour and are likely to easily eject the tired French with their greater numbers.

No such luck however even though the French defenders musket riposte is poor, the hapless Grenadiers falter and fail to join their Austrian allies in charging home.

It comes to bitter hand to hand fighting now. Stare-Vinohrady is held by the 2/24th Léger and 2nd 4th Ligne but against the odds the French are pushed back in mêlée by these 2nd line troops. The Austrians cover themselves in glory gaining the upper hand pushing the French back deeper into the village. Oh for the want of those Grenadiers, had they been there as well then surely their greater numbers would have told and the French would have been routed

There is now a lull in the fighting, muskets have been discharged and bayonets have clashed all along the line.  Some French advance whilst others retreat. Similarly at least in the centre the allies seem to be gaining the ascendancy. Firstly battalion commanders attempt to rally their brave but battered battalions and finally Brigade Generals try to exhort their men to advance or at least hold their ground.....

Pratzen

On the allied left flank Kaminski’s Russians can take no more and the brigade finally breaks...

Stare-Vinohrady

There is worse news from right flank and Stare-Vinohrady itself
Rottermund‘s Brigade also breaks with retiring units and those battalions with many casualties dispersing. Disaster, despite their hard fought gains those 2 gallant battalions of the Austrian Salzburg IR 23 Regiment are forced to vacate Stare-Vinohrady just as soon as they’ve forced their way forward against the odds.

Not surprisingly perhaps, Labanov’s grenadiers (grenadiers in name only it seems) fail to rally and pull back losing more ground

The situation is now dire and it’s clear that the battle is lost

The allies have nothing to the right of Stare-Vinohrady and with the remaining 2 battalions of Rottermund’s brigade and mauled Russian grenadiers now also forced to retire to lick their wounds, they have no infantry with sufficient strength left to retake Stare-Vinohrady
The 6 battalions of Russian Guard have occupied the high ground to the allied left side of Stare-Vinohrady and thoughts were given to ordering the Russian Heavy guard cavalry into the wall of French guns facing them......

However with the fresh brigade of Werle’s now finally on the move there is nothing to do but show wisdom and withdraw the Guard infantry under cover of these cavalry knowing that in so doing they will be harried by the French Guard Chasseur a cheval.

Meanwhile at Pratzen it’s evident that Jurcik’s Brigade is severely mauled and whilst in square is pressed by the Guard Horse Grenadiers -and having started with 6 battalions and a battery it is now down to 3 battalions alone
To its left Weyrother’s brigade has only to 2 battalions remaining in the field and Kaminski’s Russians have 3 only battalions and no guns remain

The French are the undisputed masters of the Pratzen and though they themselves are battered by their efforts at Stare-Vinohrady are free to occupy the town with ease

Offline Damien

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 03:25:44 AM »
My God, now that is an AAR!! You sir make me want to paint historical minis (I envy your armies).

Fantastic!
 Damien

Offline cmikucki

• Student
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:43:00 AM »
Beautiful!   I'm completely blown away by your troops - I'm very inspired to try a solo game with my Napoleonics- they never see enough action.

Really nice-  thanks for the thorough report!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:58:06 AM »
but are they 10's or 15's ???

You are hereby awarded first place for "longest post in conjunction with most photographs" competition.

Congratulations, on several fronts, literally.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:09:15 PM »
thanks gents
These are all 15mm figures collected over close to 30 yrs (I suppose I'm close to 10,000 figures by now)
The bulk of the French figures would be 2nd generation minifigs, more recent troops are generally AB, there are some QT models, BH, Essex included

Russians are almost all minifigs with some Falcon figures and BH. The bulk of these could really do with a strip and repaint and I'm currently considering doing that vs selling them off and replacing with AB
Austrians almost exclusively AB and BH

Offline Dale Hurtt

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
Impressive in and of itself; but that it was a solo effort, even more so.

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
Impressive stuff, plenty of photos and a great battle report, fantasic sums it up well done.
The Victorian Outpost

Its a new gaming place in Grimsby with new terrain and new scenery, lots of respect for all wargamers and is the best place to game in town.

Anybody who wishes to visit the venue to arrange a game then  just pm me and lets roll those dice.

http://www.victorian-steel.co

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
Impressive stuff, plenty of photos and a great battle report, fantasic sums it up well done.

Maybe but remember Malcolm its largely you with your photo reports of your club games that gave me the inspiration :)

Offline nevermore

• Mastermind
    • http://www.victorian-steel.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
Would say it would be a game the club would be proud of and should have alot more replies than you have got, seems a shame because its that good i came back 3 times to study the report and pictures.