Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:03:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best scale for an AWI Collection? Also: Rules suggestions?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Bellerophon

• Assistant
Best scale for an AWI Collection? Also: Rules suggestions?
« on: January 16, 2023, 05:22:02 PM »
Hi, wondering what scale I should start an AWI collection in?

I have 6mm Ancients and ACW, and lots of terrain for them. Also some Skirmish fantasy stuff in 28mm and 15mm Medieval. I like painting most scales but struggle to complete big projects in 28mm.

I'm more interested in like "Battle of Saratoga" than "A few rebels fight over a farm"

Any rules suggestions, too?

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
Re: Best scale for an AWI Collection? Also: Rules suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 05:46:58 PM »
I’d go 10mm with pendraken, no question. 6mm buildings will still work as big battle BUAs

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 06:14:37 PM »
As with all things wargaming, it depends.  My experience, here in the US, is that most people wargame the AWI in 28mm
Less so 15mm.
But the very small scales, not so much.  Then again, small scales are cheaper and easier to store.

If you want to go small, I suspect that you will need to build both armies yourself.
If you go 28mm, depending on where you are, you will find other AWI gamers who have figures to
have a game.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 06:54:40 PM »
Bellerophon, If I was starting a late 17th-18th century project from scratch aimed at "bigger battles" rather than skirmish I would certainly go 10mm. Pendraken and Old Glory produce in 10mm and Kallistra do 1/144th or 12mm.  No great knowledge of any rulesets.  However I have played a 4-page fastplay set called "Loose Files and American Scramble" which have now been re-released as "Live Free  or Die".  I quite enjoyed them so may be worth a look.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 07:15:47 PM »
I’d go 10mm with pendraken, no question. 6mm buildings will still work as big battle BUAs

This! The AWI figures are probably Pendraken’s best range.

Have a look at Little Wars TV - they refought several AWI battles using Pendraken figures. Using the Live Free or Die rules referenced by SJWi

Offline Firescale Whack

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 02:28:37 AM »
Peter Pigs range of 15mm AWI are very nice.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 04:48:24 AM »
I went with 15 mm - mostly using Musket Miniatures but not sure if those are available anymore.  Peter Pig does have a comprehensive range.  Nothing against Pendraken, I have Vietnam in 10 mm from them, but Peter Pig has a very broad range for AWI.  And you can mix Essex - a bit stockier - and QRF/Freikorps with the Peter Pig by keeping them in separate units.  Also, I use a lot of Freikorp Seven Years War cavalry for mounted troops that no one makes for AWI.  There were more mounted units than most people think - even if they did little mounted fighting, very little.  Fun to add, especially for what-if scenarios.

Or you can go with larger figures from Old Glory 25s Bluemoon 15/18 mm range and supplement with Old Glory 15s AWI range.  But these won't mix with the figures in the above paragraph.  And some don't like the more bicorne than tricorne hat which some purport to have been used during the AWI but I am soundly unconvinced on that point.

Of course, I am a 15 mm advocate by and large and most people will tout their personal preferences.  You will need to decide what works for you.  Oh, the mentioned rules, they have some traction but I am not really a fan of them - very weird mechanisms to me.  My preference is Rank and File from Crusader Publishing in the UK.  But, again, a matter of personal taste.

Definitely follow the work of kingsmt here on TMP, he has been posting A LOT on his AWI figures.  Wrong scale for you but lots of motivation seeing what he has done.

One think I don't recommend is be as crazy as I've been and accumulating enough figures to do most battles at 1 for 1!  Well, really, my units are closer to 20:1 but if painted them to do so I could do all but the largest battles close to 1:1.  Most of my foot units are 18 figures, some at 24, some - sort of - at 12 but just jaegers.  Cavalry at 12 figures with matching (as best I could) dismounts which is definitely a step beyond what most do. 

Whatever you decide, it is a fun period where you never have to paint the same uniform twice there is so much variety - though for the British that is mostly with facing colors.

And you can even do battles set in the Mediterranean, too!

But before you make a decision, take a close look at Peter Pig's AWI range, very comprehensive - unless you want Spanish troops for the Florida campaigns.  Then you need to visit QRF/Freikorps - only 15 mm Spanish out there that I know of.  Oh, and there is also Polly Oliver, only actual British fusilier figures I know of in the proper hat (though possibly not worn in the field).

Slightly dated in some limited ways, but definitely get a copy of the Blandford Press Mollo uniform book.

Whatever you do, have fun.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 03:58:58 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 05:47:09 AM »
Bellerophon, I'd try to sort out your rules before committing your hard cash on metal or plastic. I have several projects that have never, or only once made it onto the table for want of a decent set of rules. Also, the rules' basing convention might influence your choice of figure scale. If they require single figure removal I would opt for 15mm and use sabots.  Another thought that may actually sway you towards the 15mm suggestion is whether you also want to use your figures with other rulesets. For instance although you want to game "big battles" you can also use figures for smaller level games such as "Sharp Practice" or "Rebels and Patriots". SP certainly uses individual figure removal and 15mm figures are the smallest I would base individually. In this regard I regret not using sabots for some of my earlier armies.  Looking at the other posts I would also support Peter Pig's 15mm range and the Mollo book....if you can locate a copy.

Regards

Offline David H

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2023, 12:40:32 PM »
British Grenadier rules are specific to the AWI and work well for large scale games, although I have found movement can be a little slow at times.

Black Powder works well too., and can handle large battles easily.

15mm can be used with both sets, and as you struggle to complete 28mm projects, I would suggest 15mm is the scale to go for, but use whatever you find most visually appealing.

As mentioned previously, find a ruleset you like and then work out basing, and then whichever figure size appeals most.

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2023, 04:44:46 PM »
Considering you have armies and terrain in 6mm, I would choose that size if I were you. It keeps costs down and gives you the game you want.
Rules wise. Perhaps, Live Free or Die. Black Powder. Longstone.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2023, 05:27:19 PM »
Khusru,  "Longstone" rules? Can you expand on them as I've never heard of them.

Thanks

Offline LazyStudent

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2023, 05:37:52 PM »
As I'm building a 6mm Napoleonic collection, I'd recommend the 6mm scale! It's very versatile and means you can get very big battles in a reasonable space.

As for rules, I'd highly recommend British Grenadier. Some fun flavour and it gives a good game. It's on the crunchy side so can show down if you let it. But I've played it 100s of times and never gotten bored. It also works if you are playing solo as the command and control system limits the wargamers' eye of the Gods issue.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 11:37:12 AM »
Maurice works well for AWI, or if you prefer skirmishes, Muskets & Tomahawks or Sharp Practice

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 06:10:53 PM »
I went with 10mm. They are big enough to give them good detail and are much cheaper.
Lot faster to paint also. I like to get things on the board and play rather than sit with a growing
level of unfinished projects and figures.

Offline DeRuyter

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »
I started with 15mm but changed to 28mm for which I use Sharp Practice rules. Since you are interested in big battles, I might echo the 10mm recommendations. Nothing like a regiment that looks like a regiment on the table! The Warlord Epic scale concept looks great for ACW/Waterloo. Balck Powder is a fun game I believe there is an AWI supplement (the basic rules are a bit generic). You may want to look at the Patriots and Loyalists rules from Osprey for larger battles as well.

If you have a 3d printer there are additional options for figures that are often scale agnostic. Have a look at War Bear (Madox) on My Mini Factory.