Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BSC2023 Vanvlak's Highway shrine  (Read 3217 times)

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: BSC2023 Vanvlak's Highway shrine
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 02:22:57 PM »
Time to get to work.
Here's some initial pics.
First of all, the toy I was planning on using if that topic was selected for BSC:

I was thinking of propping it up on bricks, and making it stationary, but the following day I found some other pieces.

So I rebuilt the wheeled base. It's not perfect, but I do want it to look a bit wrecked, so...

The wheels are of the plastic toy type - hollow and open on the inside. Although the hollows would not be really visible, this is a something I hate, so I experimented with filling one up to see how the modelling putty I used (long expired!) behaves:

It seems to be setting ok, so I'll need to do the other three next.
And deal with the Imperial Guard Rogal Dorn tank effect - an exposed bottom  :o

Meanwhile, as stuff sets, I have been messing about with my new foam cutter and a piece of old drain pipe (unused, I hasten to add). This is not about the vehicle alone.

The highway IS a high way.

I am now trying to find a good way of making the highway detachable to allow the column to be used for a different purpose, and am experimenting with magnets.

I had also collected some additional potential bits. The modelling putty tub is at the back.

It's a start.

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2023, 09:00:47 AM »
I might be going higher on the SBS (Standard Bonkers Scale): one of our latest entries in the BSC is Dr Mathias' Onion28-themed one https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140037.0
I had never heard of Onion28 before, and now I want to build something for it! 'Highway' still fits, and in spite of the black powder period limit in the game, I felt that a few anachronistic ruins would not be a  real problem.
The main changes will be:
1) the toy excavator base will no longer be self-propelled, but something which would be pushed in place by followers
2) the shrine focus element will change a little
3) the colour scheme will change

I will include historically older bits too, so now the theme will be post-apocalyptic, post-historical (is that a thing?) with a touch of Futurama, as there is an idea I do not want to give up on. In other words, a right mess. But fun  :D

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »
Looking forward for it, reminds me of endless hours playing fallout

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2023, 10:52:57 AM »
Looking forward for it, reminds me of endless hours playing fallout
It might be weirder than that  :D

I dropped most of the Turnip28 idea, as the highway is too modern to fit that style, and there's also one scifi detail I do not want to give up on; but I'll get back to it after this, and there might be traces of this idea remaining in my entry.

Update time:
I fitted plasticard to the underside of the vehicle. It won't be visible, but it was irritating me, so....
I also filled in all four tyres as the filler I tried on the first one had worked. Needs cleaning up, but here's the reworked vehicle again.

Metal strips on the base of the plastic conduit which is to become a highway section.

This is the flat, circular plastic plate I glued to the pipe which is the main support of the highway. The lines denote the location of magnets. I used too many, because I had tried using magnetic strips on the 'highway' before changing to the steel strips; the magnetic strips were too weak, and I even checked the polarity worked. As we'd say around here: boq.

I made strong inroads on my stock of conduits, flexible pipes and drain pipes:

The lower pic of the two immediately above is the column. The upper one is an important part of the shrine, together with the vehicle  :D

Here's the highway piece in place on the column (the magnets are strong enough to allow me to lift the column suspended from the highway!).

And finally, the truck rolling on the highway: the black bits are aquarium aeration bits I had planned to use a couple of BSCs back. They will finally get used on this, if I finish it. These add thickness to the highway, and also some detail instead of the bland, flat surface. I tab on the upper surfaces, on one side only, gave me an idea too.  >:D

That's it for now. I still need to build up the vehicle, fix the column to the foam base from last week, add the shrine top and fit the whole to the column, and add a load of detail.

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2023, 04:43:34 PM »
Update - managed to put in almost an hour of work today - but no time for pics!
he tower is almost ready except for the shriniest bits: a shrine has to be dedicated to someone or something. The vehicle has progressed very differently to what I originally planned, thanks to a broken umbrella.
I am not sure I will make it, but I might just... I also need to take pics of course, otherwise I will have to kick myself out of the competition!!

Online Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2023, 11:32:16 AM »
And I'm out.
I will be away from home next week, so there is no way I can finish this and make it half decent, and I would rather stop than do a rush job which even I would not be happy with.

Here are some final images from the last building rush.

What the road attached by magnets to the base looks like:

Having it removable adds to the flexibility, and also makes for easier storage.

The shrine in progress:

With more bits and some well beyond the best before date foam putty to seal gaps:

A broken not-Lego brick I found, which is seen here in the process of becoming a series of hopelessly corroded metal bins. A couple of studs from the top can just be seen behind the 'bins' serving as a bollard.

Some of the ribbed cables I was installing at various locations:

Their source - a few bags of very cheaply priced elastic bracelet thingies (or are they hair bands, I wouldn't know as I don't have much hair!). Thank you, parish jumble sale.

And the tub of foam - it's working well three years beyond its best before, only a little at the top was a little bit flaky.

What of the yellow vehicle I was showing pics of? The pointy end of the tower is the nozzle of a burning flame above the shrine (the statue is not in place in the pics, or in real life, although the pedestal is almost done and the statue identified). The truck would have an extendible arm or three with a pilot flame at the end to ritually light up the shrine flame on festive days. It would have been placed on the road.
It was a fun idea...

What now?
My 2022 entry is finished and undercoated, but still unpainted, so this year's will join the queue in storage.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 08:31:42 PM »
Closer to complete than most of my terrain projects.  Hopefully you can get paint on it some time this summer.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;