Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rebasing miniatures advice needed  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
Rebasing miniatures advice needed
« on: February 15, 2023, 08:45:41 AM »
I have some 20mm metal minis I would like to rebate. Currently they are superglue to metal bases with some pva flocking. I've got lucky with some of them but others are being quite stubborn, Anything I can use to weaken the bond?

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
Re: Rebasing miniatures advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 09:05:56 AM »
You wouldn't believe how many times I have rebased.
What I normally do is stand the figures on something like a baking tray. Then pour boiling water in the tray up to about the feet on the figures. Leave until cool. Then you should find glue is now weak enough to slip a blade under and ping figure off.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 10:40:35 AM by swiftnick »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »
I do as swiftnick does, although this sometimes only works for getting flock/sand off rather than releasing the figure itself.

To get the superglue bond to break, you might need to put the figures in the freezer to make the superglue joint brittle, and then try gently prying them off with a strong blade. If you soak all the PVA and flock off, you may be able to get away with using a little bit of superglue debonder under the model to help break the glue too, but you risk damaging the paintjob like this, and the debonder is not especially cheap.

I'll be honest though; if the models are only painted quickly, and everything is metal, it can just be easier to dump the lot in paint stripper (acetone or something like Biostrip 20) and then rinse off the models, rebase, re-prime and re-paint. It may seem like more work, but if you're struggling to get the models off their old bases, and you can't cut the old bases off or incorporate them in the new bases, and if they only had a basic paintjob anyway, you'll spend more effort and time (and risk damaging the models) than just starting again with them.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 09:33:11 AM »
The boiling water method works as does dettol but I’m sometimes too impatient for that or don’t want to risk the mini PJ. If this is the course (TBH it’s now almost always the case!) I grip the metal base (in my case a 25mm washer) with two pairs of needle nose pliers and bend. The washer gives and the bond breaks.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 08:12:59 PM »
Thanks tested the boiling water method, so far it works a treat

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 10:09:45 PM »
The boiling water always works for me, most come away first time, a couple of stubborn ones might need a second dose.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2023, 09:19:52 AM »
The only advice I will offer is if you are trying the "slip a blade under and wiggle till it pops off" method is to wear a thimble on your thumb as I now have a lovely scar where I was a bit too successful.
Who knew sculpting tools were that sharp?

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2023, 09:50:08 AM »
If it's superglue and metal bases then there is a product called De-Bonder or debonder which is be available online from model shops. This breaks the chemical bond and softens the joint allowing you to separate the two surfaces. It only works with superglue - not plastic cement or Pva glues.

I used it recently to rebuild some 40k stuff my son built roughly when he was a kid. It worked well and I didn't need to stress the parts by pulling hard or using blades or pliers.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 03:40:53 PM »
The boiling water method has so far worked perfectly. Thankfully I had been quite conservative with the glue

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2023, 03:32:27 PM »
My advice is to simply never re-base.  If a system demands you rebase, choose a different system.   lol
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 08:25:38 AM »
My advice is to simply never re-base.  If a system demands you rebase, choose a different system.   lol

Wasn't for a system, it was for an upgrade in bases but I agree although I'd rather think of it as an excuse to buy more minis :D