Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:02:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Newbie to Pulp Alley Question Number Two?!?!?!  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Newbie to Pulp Alley Question Number Two?!?!?!
« on: February 23, 2023, 01:08:47 AM »
In anticipation of the Starter's Kit arriving the end of the week, I decided to give the PDF printed out cards a go.

So I have 2 characters shooting at each other, 1 plays his STEADY AIM Fortune Card before he shoots.  He rolls a 1 and a 3 but gains a +1 Bonus which (if I'm interpreting the rules right) gives him a 4 and a 2, which equals 1 hit and 1 miss.

This may sound like a stupid question but...Who does the Challenge apply to, the shooter or the shootie (target)?  Whichever one it is teh Challenge is to roll a 2 dice health check for either Finesse or Cunning.

Reading the rules is fine, but getting some actual gaming under your belt and applying what you've read is the only way to learn.

Also ordered a gaggle of figures from Bob Murch, which should hopefully come in this weekend.  I think that'll give me almost 40 figures to paint  :o
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:56:32 PM by Dubar »
The crow flies at midnight

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Newbie to Pulp Alley Question???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 02:34:27 AM »
Hi Dubar,

The plus one means he gets an extra die roll, not that he adds 1 to each of his die rolls.

The challenge at the bottom of the card doesn't apply in this situation: it's used when facing a challenge or a peril.

Watching Dave's videos on Youtube can be quite helpful for understanding the rules, or keep asking here. Stick with it: the rules give a fantastic game!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 03:05:57 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of Pulp Alley.  It is a terrific, fun set of rules that I think Dave intends folks to have fun with.  Definitely check out his very helpful videos.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 03:11:20 AM »
Hi Dubar,

The plus one means he gets an extra die roll, not that he adds 1 to each of his die rolls.

The challenge at the bottom of the card doesn't apply in this situation: it's used when facing a challenge or a peril.

Watching Dave's videos on Youtube can be quite helpful for understanding the rules, or keep asking here. Stick with it: the rules give a fantastic game!

LOL...I just watched one of Dave's videos where he explained just that thing, 1 more dice and not add to the dice roll.

Ok, now I see about the challenge, thanks!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pulp Alley.  It is a terrific, fun set of rules that I think Dave intends folks to have fun with.  Definitely check out his very helpful videos.

Thanks!!!  I've been watching his videos for a year now but just now ordered the game.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 01:04:28 PM »
Thanks!!!  I've been watching his videos for a year now but just now ordered the game.
So you've been well and truly indoctrinated!

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 02:48:54 PM »
one of us...one of us..

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 03:09:00 PM »
Yeah but I'm old (be 72 this year!)...it's gonna take longer for me as my memory banks are already full.  o_o

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 10:21:28 PM »
I was 72 in December, and I’m still alive, kicking and buying minis.

Offline jlstuht

• Assistant
  • In one of my "flighty" moods!
    • The Adventures of Sir Peter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2023, 12:17:22 AM »
I just hit 77 in November and am still buying figs and loving Pulp Alley.  Gotta admit that my painting isn’t quite as good as when I was a young whippersnapper, but that hasn’t stopped me from slapping paint on lead.  (Love Contrast Paints - hides oodles of errors from shaky hands!)

Have fun in your foray into the world of pulp - it’s addictive and murder on the wallet!
\"Maybe this planet is another planet\'s hell?\" - Aldous Huxley

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2023, 01:53:51 AM »
You guys are making me feel like a young pup  ;D

I have been painting 28mm figs for a year now and FINALLY got to where they don't all have "Googlie" eyes.

I keep telling myself the minis I have are for gaming and not to worry if the paint jobs aren't the best, but then I see figures that for the life of me I don't see how the painter made them look so good.  I have zero artistic ability compared to many of you, but I'll keep trying.

Oh...got my Pulp Alley Starter's Kit in today instead of tomorrow!!!  More figs to paint now.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Newbie to Pulp Alley Question Number Two ?!?!?!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2023, 08:42:50 PM »
Another question:

In Solo play, in Dave's video he activated the "Bot" side (5 Bots on the side) 1st.  The first 3 Bots drew a card each as they activated, but the last card ended their turn, the 2 remaining Bots didn't activate (because of the last card drawn).

If they had not ended their turn, would the 2 remaining Bots activate without drawing a card?

What if he had chosen the other side to activate 1st, would the 1st 3 characters draw a card or is it just the Bots who draw cards?

So...is it the first 3 characters ONLY who get to draw cards, no matter which side???
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:56:59 PM by Dubar »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Newbie to Pulp Alley Question Number Two?!?!?!
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2023, 01:32:40 AM »
Correct, in the solo game, the first three characters activated pull cards.  However one of the cards creates a situation where every character must draw one.
You should join the Pulp Alley Facebook group.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
Re: Newbie to Pulp Alley Question Number Two?!?!?!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2023, 03:03:03 AM »
Thanks Nick!!!  Me and Facebook don't play well together  :-[