Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:56:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need help fromWarlord German experts: Sturmgewehr's...  (Read 1125 times)

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
Need help fromWarlord German experts: Sturmgewehr's...
« on: February 26, 2023, 10:16:06 PM »

Is there a particular plastic kit or metal that has as many guys carry the Sturmgewehr rifle??? Saw some great conversions....and I was surprised because I thought bolt action guys were too small to mesh with Frostgrave models....

So obviously if there larger arms with those rifles that would also be a great help.

Thanks!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Need help fromWarlord German experts: Sturmgewehr's...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 12:20:05 AM »
The Waffen SS kit has a fair few STG44 rifles on each sprue:

So three in-hand and one loose per six models.

The German Winter Infantry also has a fair few:

I think this one has more STG44 rifles (five total) per sprue, with one being reloaded, and one loose.

Finally, the German Grenadiers have a couple per sprue too, but these are (1) older kits that are hand-sculpted rather than CAD-sculpted, and (2) are in many of the starter sets etc. that Warlord have produced over the years and so the figures' moulds are showing wear. Still they are fairly ubiquitous, and therefore often cheaper to get if you just want a single sprue.

If you want these rifles for something non-WW2, you could try looking at Anvil Industries for some suitable infantry weapons that fit Stargrave/Frostgrave plastic kits quite well - these are sold in strips with just the guns, so you don't need to buy a whole kit, and they usually fit well with minimal trimming. Of course, you would need to find a pair of shooting arms (guns or crossbows), and shave down the existing weapon first so that you can fit the new one in. Not too difficult to do with a plastic kit, and do-abale if you just need a few models; for several squads though, you might be better off getting the arms from Anvil too.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 06:03:23 AM »
Yep the greatcoated one has a ridiculous number of Stgw 44,in fact there aren't enough options to do earlier war winter types. ::)

The arms are thicker being modeled as greatcoats so those might be a better match for larger figures.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 08:22:50 AM »
The Waffen SS kit has a fair few STG44 rifles on each sprue:

Yep. probably more than were ever actually issued...  lol
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 08:37:12 AM »
Yep the greatcoated one has a ridiculous number of Stgw 44,in fact there aren't enough options to do earlier war winter types. ::)
Yep. probably more than were ever actually issued...  lol

I appreciate that the "separate weapons on a sprue" approach of the earlier Warlord figures was a bloody nuisance to assemble (and that's putting it mildly), but I've often thought that a mixed approach would have been better - i.e., have enough arms with rifles, plus a couple with MP40 and STG44 each, and then a handful of blank arms and loose weapons, all on the core sprue. That way, you can do as you wish, and any spare weapons can be used for scenery/accessories. Plus, with different sets, you're bound to end up with enough weapons for everything you'd want anyway.

Still, it's hard to ignore that the preponderance of STG44s and MP40s on sprues is almost certainly because that's what players want, and because the BA "Codexes" allow you to take them... No comment from me there!   ::)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 11:04:50 AM »
Luckily for me I bought them mostly for the option to produce pistol armed assistant machine gunners. The rest were for conversions.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 06:09:07 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I got the Waffen SS sprue. Sadly, they looked bigger in the pics than IRL.

I appreciate the recommendation for Anvil, I usually go to Mad Robot because its in the US and I get my items faster.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 09:52:46 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I got the Waffen SS sprue. Sadly, they looked bigger in the pics than IRL.
Yeah, I did wonder about that personally, but since you were sure that they were Warlord guns on Frostgrave models, I didn't really question it. If you don't mind sharing the original pics in the correct part of the forum, I wouldn't mind seeing them. :)

I appreciate the recommendation for Anvil, I usually go to Mad Robot because its in the US and I get my items faster.
Back before postage charges went bonkers, I ordered from Mad Robot - lovely parts, beautifully and flawlessly cast. They get a big thumbs up from me!

However, I understand Anvil do digital STL files as well now, so it's possible that you might be able to get some printed for you locally in future.

Really, if you're still after making these models with better-sized parts, it might be worth asking in the relevant section of LAF (or ask a mod to move this thread there for you)?