Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Forum Noir: Announcing "Pimp my Euzkadi"  (Read 4259 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Forum Noir: Announcing "Pimp my Euzkadi"
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
Just a brief announcement here.

I will be holding the first ever Black Army Productions painting contest over at the Black Army forum - Forum Noir, between now and December 31st, 2009. The contest prize is a $50.00 store credit with Black Army, which can be applied toward anything.

If you own an Euzkadi, or you plan to own one, consider giving it a shot. The rules couldn't be easier!

For more details, see our forum at:

blackarmy.activeboard.com

Thanks,

Doc

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Forum Noir: Announcing "Pimp my Euzkadi"
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
Seems like that should be an active link, but it isn't.

former user

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »
maybe this one works
http://blackarmy.activeboard.com/index.spark?aBID=133251&p=3&topicID=31856218

Ok, let me get this one right
- You have released it starting October 14th
- LAF had first pick
- there was meant to be a stock of 50 by the end of the month
- today (27th) You are starting a painting contest?

how's this going to work?
either you've sold out or sales aren't turning out as You expected???

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:46:05 PM »
either you've sold out or sales aren't turning out as You expected???

That's not a polite question.   ::)  :)

I've bought mine and I'll gladly be taking part.  Like Bandit's, mine will be for Quar.

former user

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:42 AM »
Sorry, I apologize
thought I could ask, since Doc talks quite openly in the forum noir about this....
I'll try a different approach:

I am a bit puzzled how owners are going to participate...
the tank is "fresh from the oven"
and deadline December 31 - so either a lot of people have it already (which would be a bombshell sale)
or a lot of people have to order yet in order to participate

just asking

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:54 AM »
Sorry, I apologize
thought I could ask, since Doc talks quite openly in the forum noir about this....
I'll try a different approach:

I am a bit puzzled how owners are going to participate...
the tank is "fresh from the oven"
and deadline December 31 - so either a lot of people have it already (which would be a bombshell sale)
or a lot of people have to order yet in order to participate

just asking

What do you mean, how could owners participate? I would assume they would do so by painting the tanks they now have, or will receive, by December 31st?

The tanks are selling well. Better than well, actually. This is is a boldly blatant attempt to promote my business and to encourage others to participate in discussions on the Forum.

-Doc

former user

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 02:06:06 AM »
clonk!

should have gotten that, since I'm boldly blatantly unpolite and stupid sometimes :-[

I'll check it out - I hat resin, but Your tank is really cute
I'm constantly checking my budget, damn....

Offline starkadder

• Mad Scientist
  • I'm just going outside...
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »

The tanks are selling well. Better than well, actually. This is is a boldly blatant attempt to promote my business and to encourage others to participate in discussions on the Forum.

-Doc

And now they have reached Australia. They arrived today, Doc. In an excess of enthusiasm, I showed them to the wife and her reaction was fascinating:

"Wow. They are so cute. I've never seen such a cute tank. Paint it. Paint it now."

How many times have you had that reaction from your one true love about your armoured vehicle?

Excellent work, Doc. As we say in the Antipodes: "HEWJ"
It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think - Emma Goldman

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 07:55:54 AM »
should have gotten that, since I'm boldly blatantly unpolite and stupid sometimes :-[

Oh well, one man's 'blatantly unpolite' is another man's 'direct and to the point'.  ;)

"Wow. They are so cute. I've never seen such a cute tank. Paint it. Paint it now."

How many times have you had that reaction from your one true love about your armoured vehicle?

I used to be frequently in awe of a woman's ability to reduce whichever death dealing machinery of destruction I'd produced, to the level of fluffy kitten by that one line.  :D

But anyway, shameless promotions aside, I'll be looking forwards to seeing what comes from this!  :)

former user

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
another reason to buy this tank

the only thing I ever hear is an elaborate analysis in which way any machinery of destruction is phallic

thank god I have a reasonable amount of APCs to counter with

former user

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 12:36:59 PM »
if I may take advantage of doc's offer to make suggestions:

(just as a remark, for several reasons I'm not into resin at all, the most relevant here being - it is hard to work on and to convert)

I would like to see a break-up picture , don't know if I eventually missed one.

As I understood, the weapons require some drilling and tend to break off. To adress this problem, I would suggest the manufacturer does the drilling, and also could offer a choice of brass tubes to replace the guns and/or the smaller versions of brass naval guns on sale by naval model suppliers.

both choices are rather cheap (I don't know how it compares to the resin versions in costs) and require minimum extra work (1 min to fix the tube into a power drill and apply the saw to the spinning object, maybe 1 min to drill two holes into the model body)
this would add to:
- the versatility of the model ( only historical use SCW, others pulp and SF)
- the versatility of the range as such, since the brass guns/tubes can be used for any model

in addition, some add-ons might be a good idea, maybe in the pulp/VSF/SF department respectively, to increase the model's use:
- different turret
- replacement canopy for APC
- trailer
- loading bay
- mounted bigger gun as SP artillery
 whatever - most of it would be rather 1 pc. minor additions and possibly even authentic.
If my spanish is not too poor, some seem to have been armed with a cannon, presumably a 37 mm.

Of course I am not very well informed about resin casting (in this matter Toby expanded my horizon at Tactica 2009 substantially - thx again), and can hardly assume the costs involved.

I would like to stress out that I like the model very much (in spite it being of resin  ;)), and these are only thoughts I share about my possibilities to use it, since I do not game SCW, nor intend to do it in the future.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:44:48 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:11:48 PM »
And now they have reached Australia. They arrived today, Doc. In an excess of enthusiasm, I showed them to the wife and her reaction was fascinating:

Excellent work, Doc. As we say in the Antipodes: "HEWJ"

Gratified you like it, mate:)

Now, get this. My wife, also a wargamer, said almost the same thing. She said, "I hate to get all girly on you, but that thing is soo cute!!!!"

;)

I can somehow imagine somebody painting this up like a "love bug" with flowers, hearts, and smiley faces... Disturbing. But somehow, fitting.

As for former user's suggestions:

>>I would like to see a break-up picture , don't know if I eventually missed one.

Not much to show. It's three parts. Hull. Turret. Tubes. Hey presto, toy tank. I think that one customer (and it was one of the guys here, but forgive me, I can't remember who) remarked today that it was "ridiculously simple" compared to other kits he'd recently purchased. What can I say - Tobi, a German, managed to build a tank without complex mechanisms. Good lord!;)

>As I understood, the weapons require some drilling and tend to break off. To adress this problem, I would suggest the manufacturer does the >drilling, and also could offer a choice of brass tubes to replace the guns and/or the smaller versions of brass naval guns on sale by naval >model suppliers.

There's been only one break that I'm aware of, and it was admittedly the fault of the painter, that nasty Bandit86 person;) However, I'm sure others could occur. They are simply pieces of plastic tube cast for a little more strength than standard "plastruct" tubing, though you could easily replace them with saidsame thing if you prefer. There's a barrel guide for the turret gun, which may require a tiny bit of drilling, as the attachment holes have, in some examples, filled in with resin. In my case, I also tend to drill out barrels a little more in guns, just for aesthetic purposes, but I know that this is a personal preference.

The brass tube suggestion is a good one, but unfortunately I don't have the resources to stock them or cut them at the moment.

>in addition, some add-ons might be a good idea, maybe in the pulp/VSF/SF department respectively, to increase the model's use:
>- different turret
>- replacement canopy for APC
>- trailer
>loading bay
>mounted bigger gun as SP artillery

Those are all great ideas. At the moment, I'm actually trying to convert one of my own into a self propelled gun. I was going to enter it into the "Build Something" contest, but every attempt thus far has simply met with abject failure,so I'm sticking with my converted gun truck for now. It wouldn't be impossible, just a matter of figuring out how to do up the mounting point for the larger piece of artillery. I even have a couple pieces of excess heavy artillery sitting around here that could be used for that goal. The problem is that it's a tankette, and very small, so many of my attempts to mount guns just look ridiculously oversized.

Seriously, though, those are all great ideas. I'm hoping we see a few conversions in the painting contest.

>If my spanish is not too poor, some seem to have been armed with a cannon, presumably a 37 mm.

I've heard that, as well, and it might explaiin why so many photographs depict what appear to be actual guns, not merely HMGs with protective tubes. However, I haven't been able to find any evidence of that first hand. I'm sure it's a possibility. As my Basque friend could attest, the people of Iberia can turn anything into a weapon...

>I would like to stress out that I like the model very much (in spite it being of resin  ), and these are only thoughts I share about my >possibilities to use it, since I do not game SCW, nor intend to do it in the future.

And I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and input. It means a lot to me. Feel free to share that enthusiasm over at the forum, too. I'm paying for the darn thing, after all, and would like to generate some discussion.

As a side note, the other half of the initial stock is arriving within the next day or so, so we will have plenty for those interested. Interestingly enough, about half of the Euzkadis I've sold (well, rather, half of the customers, as the number they order does vary considerably) seem to be for non SCW projects. Interwar/Pulp mainly, but all sorts of interesting possibilities have sprung up.

-Doc

former user

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »
thank You for Your response

did not know it was plastic tube - rather indifferent if it is a plastic tube or a brass one, I thought it was resin and broke (see why I don't like resin and it leads me to false assumptions)
of course resin can fill up holes in casts, nothing unusual

as for the brass tubes - only need to fix them in a power drill and let it do the work

a pity You are based in US, I would do it for You

any chance BAP will attend "Tactica" ? maybe represented by Toby?
the brass guns I use are larger  and smaller (7,5 cm to 3,7 cm cal) for 10 bucks 10 pc.
brass tube cost around 3 bucks for 1 m

let us see how it goes on until then
a bit of negative criticism: the gun tubes look chnunkier than those from the real pictures.
also, maybe You could post the pics of the tank where You assume it is a cannon? I can't remeber seeing one - and please do suck out from Your basque friends everything they konw about workshop changes - the tank deserves it!

maybe You can find the time to give me the measures of the gun tubes (diameter and length) ?
I'll think about very simple conversions

meanwhile, I get it You sold the first run of 25 - this is fantastic
good luck with the next one
I am also looking forward to the Romfell - with Toby You really got a talented modeller
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:05:55 PM by bedwyr »

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:41:34 AM »

Reminds me of when I showed the family Tyranids, but yet still they sit in my own lead mountain.
Everything is better with lizardmen.