Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Classic Warzone - Request for pictures of painted squads/armies  (Read 3681 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Classic Warzone - Request for pictures of painted squads/armies
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 05:47:57 PM »
Wow Inso, that's a lot of Vulkans!  :o I always forget that you have these, as the modifications you made - minor as they were really - completely change their appearance. What's the Victor by the way; are they the spider droids? And are they Warzone figures too...?

The Vulkans are the standard "troops", the Victors are the ones with the missile launcher on their shoulders and the Spider Droids are from Rackham Miniatures (and not part of Warzone) :) .

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 08:23:51 PM »
I will have a look and see if I can find mine.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 12:35:56 PM »
Grabbed a few out of a dusty cabinet.  Some have been touched up over the years and some are still way back when gloss varnish and goblin green flock.

They ain't bad models - the Copplestone ones especially - I may bring them up to date and find a use for them.

Thanks MG for making me dive back in time.

Free Marines or Sea Lions?  can't remember

Cybertronc (got another 9 unpainted) and the half man/machine thing is stupidly huge which spoils his appeal

Undeady type faction

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 07:42:03 PM »
@ Inso:

Ahh, thank you. They must have been post-second edition variants then, which is why I didn't recognise them. You know, if you you, ah, suddenly ever feel you have too many Vulkans, do please let me know? ;)

@ Ultravanillasmurf:

Yes please! I'd love to see some more photos of these old chunky old figures.  8)

@ pauld:

Thanks for posting those! The Capitol chaps are Sea Lions (the ones with headbands) and Free Marines (the non-headband mohawk heads). All first edition figures too. ;)

Given the difference in painting skill over the years (and the availability of bases that are between 25mm and 40mm in size), might you be tempted to re-visit some of these and make them into playable little forces...? I think the big models at least deserve 32mm bases. 8)

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 09:01:50 PM »
Some serious steroids use there.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2023, 04:28:31 PM »
    Some serious steroids use there.

It's interesting- these were sculpted in the middle of a trend in both analogue gaming and comics towards exaggeration. Target was arguably one of the biggest proponents of this sculpting style, especially in their Warzone line. It tended to work better in Chronopia since many of those models weren't human anyway (yet the Necromancer from that range is a classic).

I feel like that's the eternal dilemma with sculpting miniatures- adhere too much to realism and potentially make something either very dull or that somehow doesn't look right in a smaller scale, or focus on making sure certain details really stand out and end up with something cartoonish?

and the half man/machine thing is stupidly huge which spoils his appeal

I feel like I need to get one of these to complete my collection, but this is one of the worst (if not THE worst model) in the range. As you said, he's out of proportion for something that's supposed to be part-human- he's bigger than some of the Nepharites (who are supposed to be 7-9 feet tall). His guns don't match up with anything in Cybertronic's arsenal: the gun on the left looks like Bauhaus tried to recreate a Dark Legion Voriche hand cannon, while the gun on the right looks like a generic machine pistol from a cheaper miniature range. It's like they took what was supposed to be a mockup/draft sculpt and sent it into production.

If I get one, I will probably alter the hair, paint the fleshy areas gold or brass, then paint the cyborg faceplate in a dirtier metal color to suggest a form over aesthetics field repair. Oh, and I'm definitely replacing those guns; I try my best to see both positives and negatives in this hobby, but that model is a swing and a miss.[/list]
    « Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 07:16:13 PM by NotifyGrout »
    https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
    Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • God-Emperor of Dune
    « Reply #21 on: March 24, 2023, 04:47:50 PM »
    NotifyGrout, I agree with all of that... But I will still paint my one copy of this model as-is I think, and just revel in the derpiness!  lol

I did actually almost get another one to convert though, for all the reasons you've stated.  :)

Offline Rossco2

• Schoolboy
    « Reply #22 on: March 24, 2023, 06:27:56 PM »
    I don't have pictures, so will need to use descriptions.
    My Imperials are WW1 khaki and grey for the Trenchers, simple tartan for the not-Highlanders, jungle camo greens for the regular troops.
    My Dark Legion have two main schemes. I repurposed the Necromutants from some Blood Berets boxes to use as ghoul squads for Mantic's Firefight, with Warzone metals as squad leaders and unit specials. These have mid-blue armour, browns for strapping, red guns, grey skin. Some of the bigger Dark Legion figures and leaders were given blue armour and red guns to visually tie them together.
    My second Dark Legion scheme is dark armour, dark leather strapping, red guns, skeletal skin appearance. These figures are my standard filler in a long running roleplaying campaign.
    Squads from other Warzone factions (Bauhaus, some Capitol and Cybertronic) mostly followed the first edition books for general appearance.
    Some of the Cybertronic troops wearing sunglasses were painted to look like Delaque gangers for use in Necromunda. These have brown coats, blue trousers.
    A few other character figures have seen occasional service in my roleplaying campaign.
    I have only used one of the Brotherhood figures: the Vestal character with spear. The other Brotherhood models are just too weird and I have no wish to paint them.
    I got fed up with some of the larger human/humanoid models tipping over, so several of mine are now on 40mm bases. Oddly, this makes them now look a little more believable as Ogres and mutants.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Often confused or misunderstood...
      • Inso's World
    « Reply #23 on: March 24, 2023, 07:11:22 PM »
    @ Major_Gilbear - I have a box of spares in the attic... but I don't think they have the heads or the roll-cages of the originals... so you'd need to convert them. I could dig them out, if you are interested.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
    • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
    « Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 07:19:43 PM »
    As promised, though hastily shot- my Blood Berets painted as Life Guard (Her Imperial Serenity's personal bodyguard). The middle one I painted about two decades ago, and is probably the best paint job I ever did at that point. The others are still WIP because I never finish anything.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • God-Emperor of Dune
    « Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 08:37:30 PM »
    @ Inso:
    Wow, thank you! Sure, I don't mind figuring out some heads and rollbars - it's still easier than scratch-building the whole model. Let me know the essentials via PM please, and we'll figure something out? :)

@ NotifyGrout:
    Pretty good for an old paintjob, and I sympathise on the struggle to finish things too. I'm hoping the small-unit nature of Warzone means I can do bits between larger batches for other games, or even if I just feel like it. With most models being one-peice as well, this cuts prep time to reach the paint table too. :)

@ Rossco2:
    Thanks for the descriptions of your troops - sounds like you went with a bit of everything!  lol

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
    « Reply #26 on: April 09, 2023, 11:11:45 PM »
    Love WarZone, it's a lovely setting!

Offline Curis

• Librarian
      • Ninjabread
    « Reply #27 on: April 21, 2023, 11:08:41 AM »
    Back in the day, I painted mine in as close a copy of the official studio schemes as I could, as the models were very detailed and I needed help parsing what all the parts were. 

Now I'm coming back to it as a nostalgia fest, I'm wanting to recreate the army of my youth, and so I'm copying the studio schemes once again.

I enjoy this approach because Warzone was so much less popular than the other 1990s wargames that we don't see it all that often, so the colour schemes don't feel cliche or played out or boring.
    « Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 11:10:29 AM by Curis »

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
    « Reply #28 on: April 25, 2023, 09:38:44 AM »
    Awesome stuff, Curis!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Spanish offworld colonies
    « Reply #29 on: April 25, 2023, 11:54:48 AM »
    I never got into Warzone as a game but have painted a few of the figures for people over the years.
    Lost most of the pictures a long time ago but still have these one one of my back up drives.

Trenchers in fairly standard military Green/Brown (best figures from the entire range imho) and one of the character models.