Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:56:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690909
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Doctor Who  (Read 1594 times)

Offline DarkElf

• Student
Pulp Alley Doctor Who
« on: June 03, 2023, 05:12:07 AM »
I am working on a 6 player game (so want to limit the Leagues to 3 figures). It will feature Doctor Who and will be loosely based on the 10th Doctor episode the Shakespeare Code. I have attached the Doctor's League, to get feedback. I realize there are many ways to represent the Doctor, I think the abilities I picked will represent the Doctor fairly well but not so sure the League will perform that well. The Perks I have chosen are Bastion of Science and Company of Heroes. I will also likely apply the Pulp Science Fiction genre benefits to this league. The other 5 leagues will be: 3 lead by Nobles with 2 city watch musketeers (sidekicks), 1 League lead by a Bishop, monk & Pilgrim (sidekicks) and finally a evil monk with 2 cultists (sidekicks). There will be 3 witches as NPCs, and likely a version of the find the keys scenario.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 06:35:40 PM by DarkElf »

Offline DarkElf

• Student
Re: Pulp Alley Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2023, 05:12:28 PM »
Follow up questions if I am using the Pulp Sci-Fi Genre bonus would just the leagues from the future that have traveled to 1599 get that bonus (2 out of the 6 leagues, Doctor and Master) and the other 4  leagues (City Watch, Clergy) get the Pulp Fantasy (primitive shooting) bonus?

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 01:20:33 PM »
Follow up questions if I am using the Pulp Sci-Fi Genre bonus would just the leagues from the future that have traveled to 1599 get that bonus (2 out of the 6 leagues, Doctor and Master) and the other 4  leagues (City Watch, Clergy) get the Pulp Fantasy (primitive shooting) bonus?
That's a bit of a tricky one: normally all Leagues in the game would get the same bonus. I can see why you'd want to apply different ones here though. However, the Sci Fi trait (Tech) is definitely a bonus, but the Pulp Fantasy trait (Primitive) is a hindrance, so your leagues would be a bit unbalanced if you ran with that.

Offline DarkElf

• Student
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 03:19:34 PM »
Thanks that is a good point, but as part of the Pulp Fantasy genre the characters also get a +1 bonus to a fighting ability and a +1 bonus to non-combat ability (as they do with the Sci-Fi genre) in addition to the primitive restriction on shooting, so it is not all negative.   The other option is not to use either the Fantasy or Sci-Fi Genres, however in that case I would apply  the Primitive weapon rule on page 115 (can't move and fire, maximum range 18") to any figure with a musket or flint lock pistol (max range 12").   I am now leaning toward this latter option.  Three of the leagues will likely  be members of the city watch and  will have a leader armed with a sword and a matchlock pistol leading 2 muleteers, the Doctor's team will have no fire arms, nor will the Bishops team, but the Master's team will have two cultists, one with a pistol the other with an SMG so the rules on page 115 would apply to them also.  While that might give thMaster a slight advantage he will have the disadvantage of being the only evil league out of the 6.  Plus the scenario is not a "shoot em up" scenario it is the lost keys scenario and is all about gaining the plot points.  I will try to post a picture of all 6 leagues later (I am still painting some of the figures).