Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Just an idea  (Read 4411 times)

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Just an idea
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:12:25 PM »
Suddenly dawned on me that if you combine the Woodbine Turks ( who come with separate heads) with the Anglian/Empress Gorrilo heads you'd make a good representation of Spanish Civil War regular army troops.
The tunic is nearly identical as is the webbing and the Mauser rifle.
of course no granadero trousers but judging from most old pictures puttees were very popular.

What do you guys think?

http://www.grippingbeast.com/photos/shturksectionpack.jpg

http://empressminiatures.com/userimages/procart25.htm
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
Re: Just an idea
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:34:59 PM »
How do they look together? Having not had a close look at the Turks, I'll take your word that the equipment is close. This could be the best idea I've heard in ages!  :D

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »
They look like they've been made for each other!
Of course the Anglian head here is presented on a British Woodbine figure- for lack of Turks- but it looks like a perfect match. Might be an idea for VBCW militia as well.
Anyway I'm going to buy lots of Turks at Crisis!
40 different poses for the Turks alone and that's not counting the specials!

By penmarch, shot with DiMAGE Z6 at 2009-11-04

By penmarch, shot with DiMAGE Z6 at 2009-11-04

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:32:13 PM »
Excellent idea! I really like the way these go together. Looking forward to seeing them with paint on.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »
Yep that looks good enough for me... Who said Belgium hasn't contributed anything to civilisation!  ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:50:48 AM by Jim Hale »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:25 AM »
Oh I like! maby I will try that idea for the the 2nd ACW
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »
Turkish webbing is not really correct for Spain, they have pairs of pouches each side at the front, whereas the Spanish kit has one single pouch each side.
However, the British `Mills Pattern" stuff is identical to the webbing used by the Spanish Foreign Legion

So a good spot Willie, a little bit of work can soon hide the puttees for a bit more variety.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 02:01:09 PM »
The main problem with using the British is the rifle. I know the SMLE was used in Spain, but the Mauser was the predominate rifle. Remodelling the pouches on the few figures where they are exposed might be the better option.  :?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »
Turkish webbing is not really correct for Spain, they have pairs of pouches each side at the front, whereas the Spanish kit has one single pouch each side.

Well, Spanish soldiers weren't 28mm tall during that period either.  >:D

Sorry. ;) I mean that one pouch more or less surely must be a minor issue in a fast and practical conversion like this. Clever, that man.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »
But why? Seeing as they don't quite fit the bill, seems a bit perverse to buy them specially for this. I thought Anglian/Empress did Spanish regulars? I don't quite understand, I'm afraid. Why buy figures that are "almost" right when you can buy ones that are completely and utterly right? Am I missing something here?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 08:13:39 PM »
If you want more variety it makes sense. I am much more hung up on several miniatures looking the same than -1 ammo pouch per side really would not much of a difference. If you are thinking of the guy with Falangista head and the tommy torso, well, thats a nono to me. Too far of the mark.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:52:18 PM »
But why? Seeing as they don't quite fit the bill, seems a bit perverse to buy them specially for this. I thought Anglian/Empress did Spanish regulars? I don't quite understand, I'm afraid. Why buy figures that are "almost" right when you can buy ones that are completely and utterly right? Am I missing something here?

Not really Plynkes. The Foreign legion and Falangistas are all in shirt sleeves. Nice enough, but I would also like to have regular troops in the early ( well, it was worn throughout the entire war) guerera tunic. The regular army uniform so to speak.
So far there is 1 regular infantry man with a guerera tunic in NINF1 and 1 in NINF 2, and that's about it. I simply want some more variety, nothing more. Perhaps two poses is enough for some people, but I'm one of those sad gits that likes to have 24 different figures in a 24- men unit :?

I realize that the Turks aren't perfect and maybe I'll delete that extra ammo pouch from the Turkish webbing, maybe not. Depends a bit on how noticeable they are. On most figures the webbing is at least partly obscured by arms or weapons, so that won't be too difficult.
Perhaps I'll go the whole way on at least some of the figures, and also convert puttees to granadero trousers, but this isn't strictly necessary since most of the regular troops seem to have ended up in puttees anyway.

I have absolutely no intention of using the British Woodbine figures, but it was simply all I had available to show the compatibility between the Woodbine bodies and the Anglian/Empress heads. What I did mention was the possibility of combining these for say, a militia type unit for the very popular Very British Civil war theme. BUF militia perhaps?

Nothing will go to waste. The Turkish coal scuttle helmets will be used for Irish troops later on.