Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:44:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New idea for my range :)  (Read 2553 times)

Offline redshadows

• Scientist
New idea for my range :)
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Me and my mate who is a Comic book writer had a crazy idea the other day for project what we could work together on and would like everyone's opinion?

The project is that I would sculpt some Cthulhu mythos & Gothic horror type  monsters and he would write the story / background for each creature.
This would then be put into a illustrated book which would be like a sort of Bestiary / field guide for the creatures. So that it could be used in any game system as background/ reference material.

It would be self published or I could even run a Kick starter where the Sculpts and Book would be offered together.

Let me know what you think?  and is it something you would be interested in?

Thanks in advance
George

P.S Sorry about the spelling and grammar, writing is not my thing  ;)

Your suffering will be legendary, even in hell

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: New idea for my range :)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:59:51 PM »
Quality sculpts are always welcome, & some nice fluff/background material can be a useful gaming aid, perhaps if you chuck a few concept sketches our way...

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
Would these be existing mythos creatures, newly created mythos creatures, or a bit of both?

I imagine you're never going to go too far wrong with flogging mythos miniatures!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »
It would depend on who you are aiming at, I suppose.
Maybe aiming more at miniature painters than gamers might be a way to go, with more 'high quality' boutique type figures (larger, more detail, etc).

I only say this as there has been a fair few new ranges of Cthulhu stuff added to the market in the last couple of years (as you well know, so I may be talking poo-pie...).

Of course, quality sculpts would be appreciated by all, but it sounds as if the books need to be a feature.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18:53 PM »
It would depend on who you are aiming at, I suppose.
Maybe aiming more at miniature painters than gamers might be a way to go, with more 'high quality' boutique type figures (larger, more detail, etc).

This could certainly be a good way to go, though producing miniatures that could also be used in the gaming world (and I'm thinking 28mm here) would broaden the likely appeal. Quality and perhaps more unusual subjects may be a suitable approach?

Offline redshadows

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks,

It will probably be newly created creatures Like giant tentacle beasts, Dark creatures in the woods, Primitive fish/ frog people etc, but it should have no problem fitting in with Cthulhu and other horror universes.

I've got a few idea's for scenic pieces as well, like the  "The beast in the clock tower"  which would be an old town square clock tower with removable roof and some sort of tentacled beast inside.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 08:42:20 PM »
  "The beast in the clock tower" 

That freaked me out a little.....as I am sitting in a clock tower reading this....I am at work, I might add.

Offline redshadows

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »
 :)

Any strange noises?

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »
That freaked me out a little.....as I am sitting in a clock tower reading this....I am at work, I might add.

You don't 'change' after midnight do you Paul?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »
:)

Any strange noises?

Mate, in this wind the whole place is filled with them!
 :o

You don't 'change' after midnight do you Paul?

Not if I can help it, Steve.
 :D

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 12:14:22 AM »
Seeing the quality of your work thus far on these forums I've got to go with a vote of yes, go for it. As commented on above, while there are a fair amount of newer Mythos miniature offerings lately, quality is always appreciated by Lovecraftians and I (and I'm sure quite a few others) am always looking for new additions to my Mythos collection (which goes back to the original Grenadier line, which I still have in lead.) If you decide to Kickstart this, and if the figures are of the quality you've displayed thus far, I would definitely back you.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »
Go for it, Ghouls, Hybrid Fish men, Golems, Banshees etc all welcome. Consider Kickstarter backed as long as the figures are metal. THE CID.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:29:41 PM »
As a gamer, I'd like to see mini's for existing boardgames. You'll have a built-in audience and I won't have to track down mini's! (:

Maybe you could do some miniatures / boardgame crossover thing with these folks:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magecompany/machina-arcana

I also know the writer of Song of Blades and Heroes is working on some sort of Cthulhu miniatures skirmish game. Maybe you can contact him for the okay to include SoBaH stats with the minis. SJG's GURPS... Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu... Pinochle's Savage Worlds... might be RPGs the miniatures could work for as well?
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/