Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:45:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690916
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Epic 30k  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Epic 30k
« on: July 01, 2023, 12:54:35 PM »
With the return of Epic for the Horus Heresy, what theater are people thinking about doing?

I'm torn between Istvaan III, istvaan V and Prospero.

Prospero would look amazing but I have it in 28mm.

Same with istvaan iii. 

But with istvaan iii it would be easy to use much of the stuff for Siege of Terra.

Istvaan V is just a slaughter so not very tactically fun but can't easily be done in 28mm.

I guess I'll have a little bit of time to decide.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: Epic 30k
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 07:52:28 PM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/07/01/warhammer-preview-battle-on-an-epic-scale-in-the-horus-heresy-legions-imperialis/

Now that the set is revealed it looks like it might work better for one of the bigger general battles like Molech.  That would have titans, human troops, lots of Sons of Horus and still about 1000 loyalist space marines. 

And maybe they will even release an Imperator for this so that I could put the Paragon of Terra on the table. 

Online Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 10:04:16 PM »
The minis seem to have a lot more detail.

And the round bases for the infantry rock.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 02:42:38 AM »
I think the whole thing looks fantastic.  The rumours were off a bit but I must say I'm glad to see a whole range for the heresy.  My interest in doing a bunch of the Solar Auxilia from Forge World borders on 0, but now I can concentrate on doing the Marine and Marine battles in 32mm and the more catholic battles in the epic scale. 

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 06:42:33 AM »
Always been a great Epic fan but, not being an Imperial or SM player, I currently have absolutely zero interest in this whole new thing.
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 09:26:19 AM »
Can’t really decide what I feel about this release.

We have already played Epic 30k battles several years ago using a mix of model sources, including original GW Epic, Vanguard, Onslaught and others.

I assume these new releases are the 8mm scale that recent titan releases also where?

The box set seems a pretty small force for Epic.

Will be interested in what the rules are like - we have moved between a number of different rulesets for Epic.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 10:24:25 AM »
It is almost certainly 8 mm, compatible with the titans.
Some of the models look superb, and if Warmaster daemons were available, they'd be a nice addition to a Chaos force (albeit a little bit late- to post-heresy), even though they're 10 mm.
I am tempted, but I really think that at my age, with the tonnes of stuff I have to paint, and with the rate at which I paint, I really need to cut down on buying stuff. I also have storage issues anyway. It's a cool intro to Epic for anyone new to the scale who won't mind the scale jump I guess. If I had space for it, I would probably get it.
Nice army there, fred  8) 8)

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 10:04:50 AM »
Sort of want, but I dunno what the heck either of those forces are, especially the solar gubbins. Some type of Imperial special forces almost? The marines look suspiciously like Death Guard with that coloring? it would be interesting to see how they scale up with the stuff I've been 3D-printing...

Yeah, and I am not sure about the Horus Heresy period either as I haven't read about it, I guess it's ok. but it would be nice to get regular 40K stuff down the line though. Too much to expect I guess?

Online TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 11:37:54 AM »
Sort of want, but I dunno what the heck either of those forces are, especially the solar gubbins. Some type of Imperial special forces almost? The marines look suspiciously like Death Guard with that coloring? it would be interesting to see how they scale up with the stuff I've been 3D-printing...

Yeah, and I am not sure about the Horus Heresy period either as I haven't read about it, I guess it's ok. but it would be nice to get regular 40K stuff down the line though. Too much to expect I guess?

Solar Auxila (or however its spelt) are/were the proto Imperial Guard. Essentially an army of elite baseline humans. After the Heresy what was left got absorbed by the Navy. Kinda..maybe..

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 03:57:49 PM »

The scale is going to be c. 10mm, apparently in line with the 'new' Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis stuff. And unsurprisingly enough meaning it nullifies all the old 6mm Epic kit previous fans might already have  ;)  I have NO doubt all the models are going to be gorgeous of course, and this will be another big seller for some. But me, I have the old stuff in a wee heap in my 'future nostalgic projects' pile, so this is a pass from me.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 05:17:46 PM »
If it is that big it will be interesting for my group - we have loads of original Epic, supplemented with newer third party stuff - and its mostly painted and does get on the table.

But big new GW releases are always tempting for a number of people in the group. If it is as big as 10mm even the new titans won’t play nice with the older troops and stuff.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 05:30:33 PM »
The scale is going to be c. 10mm, apparently in line with the 'new' Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis stuff. And unsurprisingly enough meaning it nullifies all the old 6mm Epic kit previous fans might already have  ;)  I have NO doubt all the models are going to be gorgeous of course, and this will be another big seller for some. But me, I have the old stuff in a wee heap in my 'future nostalgic projects' pile, so this is a pass from me.

similar - I will watch with interest, although I have the newer titanicus stuff, I am  interested but, not..

if its in line, then its scale creep giants 8 - 10 mm stuff, with the main intent of not playing nice with anyone else's toys, including their own previous releases.

Fair enough - I has a lot of toys already  ::)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 08:45:41 PM »
After so many years of wanting epic to be officially a thing again, I might get the rulebook. Although it sounds like it will be a re-hash of the Epic 40,000 rule set, using detachments as mini armies of mixed assets. I quite liked the abstract nature of that particular set of rules, also the throwing mixed units together was fun and the mechanics were really efficient (it was a long time ago but I remember that version of epic to be the one I enjoyed most). And good god that box set came with so much shameless fun packed into it (Stompas!!!).

The new models look nice, but if they’re more expensive than what can be printed I’ll give them a miss……. Unless they do a capitol Imperialis.

Back on topic though, it’s got to be the siege of terra. Everyone who’s anyone is there! I’m currently wondering which legion to paint first, the traitors have the loveliest pastel shades, and I’m still trying to find a Word Bearers red that doesn’t just make them look like scabs, so I’m planning to start (and probably end with) them.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2023, 11:26:41 AM »
Big pass for me. Well, a 2 to 4 mm pass to be exact.

Because I have all the old boxes in the original 6mm scale and I'm not switching over, especially since I have hardly made a dent in my Epic scaled mountain of potential yet.

Yes, I apparently am a grognard now...  lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 11:16:00 PM »
Round bases are vexing to me since I recently based about 300 Sons of Horus on rectangular bases.  >:(