Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:28:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bulldogs Away Playtest: Abkhazian Coast, 2008  (Read 561 times)

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
Bulldogs Away Playtest: Abkhazian Coast, 2008
« on: July 08, 2023, 07:18:20 PM »

Managed to run through a playtest game of David Manley's Bulldogs Away in preparation for a game with friends (hopefully) at Historicon. The scenario, loosely based off of possible actual events (long story), pitted two Georgian missile boats versus a Russian missile corvette. Very enjoyable and fast as I didn't make it out of the first turn. For those that are any good at ship identification, you can see from the picture that it didn't go well for the Nanuchka!

More details here: http://lecoqfou.blogspot.com/2023/07/bulldogs-away-playtest.html

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Bulldogs Away Playtest: Abkhazian Coast, 2008
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 04:56:41 PM »
Sounds like modern, bloody warfare! I remember, years ago, playing a scenario at a convention as Libyan naval forces trying to attack the U.S. fleet with our fast attack boats. On one turn, my entire squadron was destroyed by the U.S. attack. It didn't make for a good convention game (I was out, and could just watch from that point), but it seemed accurate.

Our crowning glory as the Libyans in that game came when the U.S. carrier, instead of hanging back and destroying us with aircraft, got cocky and sailed within torpedo range of our sub. We missed. The sub died. History was repeated... lol

Mike Demana

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
Re: Bulldogs Away Playtest: Abkhazian Coast, 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 05:29:16 PM »
Sounds like modern, bloody warfare! I remember, years ago, playing a scenario at a convention as Libyan naval forces trying to attack the U.S. fleet with our fast attack boats. On one turn, my entire squadron was destroyed by the U.S. attack. It didn't make for a good convention game (I was out, and could just watch from that point), but it seemed accurate.

Our crowning glory as the Libyans in that game came when the U.S. carrier, instead of hanging back and destroying us with aircraft, got cocky and sailed within torpedo range of our sub. We missed. The sub died. History was repeated... lol

Mike Demana

Thats a great memory! Perhaps not a great gaming experience at the time but a good story! I have models like the Nanuchka and Osa that were in the Libyan navy in 1986, but I don't know how I can make any of the actions in the Gulf of Sidra with the US a fun game. I was thinking of having the Libyans square off against the Egyptians as it's more balanced and nearly happened.