Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:19:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: AM(Almost)A - Author of A War Transformed - New Weird WW1 game (Osprey)  (Read 25770 times)

Offline A_War_Transformed

• Assistant
Hello!

I'm brand new to this forum, so apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

The eagle-eyed amongst you will have spotted that a new game is due to be released late next month with the short and snappy title "A War Transformed: WWI on the Doggerland Front: A Wargame". Northstar have been putting out some great content and I believe that they will be running a pre-order promotion which includes suitable figures from a number of their extensive ranges.

I'm happy to talk about the game, answer any questions that people have and even just generally chat about the ideas that underpin the game like Folk Horror and 19th/20th century occultism and folk traditions. As the game is not yet out, I will have to be a little circumspect about addressing specific mechanics, but I am happy to talk generally about the way the game works, the figures you will need and the world the game takes place in. I'm also really excitied to see what figures people have been working on themselves!

Any questions just let me know! I'll try to address anything in good time, but apologies if I am bit slow occasionally!

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: AM(Almost)A - Author of A War Transformed - New Weird WW1 game (Osprey)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 09:37:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum,I will follow with interest :)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 05:01:40 PM »
If you look at the recent topics this has been discussed and you may find posts interesting.
Seems to be some buzz about it but it takes a lot of figures. Welcome!

Online nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 10:28:14 AM »
Hello, welcome to the Forum.

North Star will be promoting the game before its release. We are not doing a specific figure range with Osprey for it because we think we've plenty of figures already in our catalogue you can use, most especially Great War Miniatures.

Keep an eye out for our pre-order program that'll start late August.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 04:48:23 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Online nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 10:30:38 AM »
We've already started painting our WW1 figures in a AWT style, going from the authors notes and the book's artwork.

Online nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 10:33:48 AM »
I'll be going through our figure ranges and suggesting suitable miniatures for the various creatures of folklore you'll encounter in AWT, our Pixies will be top of the list.

(Pixies from the North Star Silver Bayonet range)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 10:36:06 AM by nicknorthstar »

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 08:20:23 PM »
Welcome.

I look forward to hearing more about this.

I am thinking of using Wargames Atllantic's WW1 figures for the humans.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »
This does sound interesting. What are the typical sized forces for the game? And is there anything you can tell us about any activation mechanisms in the game?

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 09:24:31 AM »
Welcome.

I look forward to hearing more about this.

I am thinking of using Wargames Atllantic's WW1 figures for the humans.

Perfect! Most of my figures are either Wargames Atlantic, Great War Miniatures or Empress - the vast majority are just stock figures, with the occasional head swap for a bit of flavour...

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 09:41:53 AM »
This does sound interesting. What are the typical sized forces for the game? And is there anything you can tell us about any activation mechanisms in the game?

I think the number of figures needed has been exaggerated in a couple of places - I think I remember seeing 100 figures a side being said somewhere! This is overstating things a bit... I'd say the game probably requires, on average, a few more figures than SAGA. As with any game with asymetrical factions, there will be some variation but the average force will likely contain something in the region of 30 figures. Depending on how you build your force, you could end up with far more or a few less, but that will be down to personal choice. The Russian empire can, for example, field much larger forces of ill-equipped conscript infantry if they wish, or concentrate on a small cadre of elite cavalry and have a much smaller army.

Activation wise, each round is divided into phases, with units having activation keywords which determine which of the phases they "go" in. At the start of each phase, players roll off to see who will activate all of their eligible units first. By activating first, you can potentially scupper your opponent by Pinning their units, stopping them from activating, or simply destroying them before they have a chance to act. When rolling off, you can add bonuses to your roll to try and secure the first activation, but those are "bought" from the same pool of dice you use to "buy" special abilities like powerful magical rituals. Players need to balance their spending through a round to make sure they have the resources to accomplish everything they want to achieve.

The first phase is for Cannonade; fixed guns like machine guns and mortars - all of which are effective at pinning. By winning this phase you can try to knock out the enemy guns before they have a chance to fire themselves. Next up are Elites; fast options like cavalry, armoured cars, trench raiders and stormtroopers who can try and break the lines and destroy enemy troops before they can fire back. Lastly you have Line; footsloggers and slow moving tanks who will move in to mop up any resistance.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 10:22:40 AM »
Cool, that all sounds great. How soon is it published?

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2023, 02:31:20 PM »
Cool, that all sounds great. How soon is it published?

The release date is the 28th of September, so about 6 weeks away

Online nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2023, 11:40:14 AM »
North Star are going to add a free frame of Frostgrave plastic wizards with every copy of A war transformed pre-ordered. This'll start next week.

Why Frostgrave Wizards in a WWI game? Every army can have a free 'Witch' in their force.  There are some who can reach through the veil and harness the forces of the spiritual world. These individuals, called Witches, wield enormous power, their intercession changing the course of many of the battles fought across the Doggerland Front.

You can use anything for a witch, it's done to your taste. You could have a robed Cultist, a well turned out gentleman or a screaming fur clad shaman.

We've added this frame of wizards so you've got some thing to build as your witch straight off.

Online Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2023, 08:39:26 PM »
Cool, I wondered if there would be a pre-order campaign.

Hopefully Wargames Atlantic can deliver the WW1 British in time to join the order.

I need to do a comparison of the size of the WA and the Wizards.

The Scavengers' bodies might work better, but you do need the arms and bits from the Wizards.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2023, 04:16:14 PM »
Each to his own, but the Gandalf look just doesn't do it for me for an early 20th century "witch."  I'm going to use the Herr Tohdt figure from Artizan's Thrilling Tales range, PLP014 (carried by Northstart) which looks similar to the Nazi from the first Indiana Jones movie.  (To my eye, some of the investigators from the various Cuthulhu ranges look right, too).  I think cowled cultists have the right vibe (check Artizan's Thrilling Tales range; Brigade Games has some too).  For anyone looking for pictures of "real" early 20th/late 19th century occultists, below are a few:

Helena Blavastsky. who lived towards the end of her life first in Germany and then London
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/E5Y7DW/helena-blavatsky-1831-1891-ukrainian-occultist-E5Y7DW.jpg

Aleister Crowley dressed as a Yogi
 https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/4a/92/df4a9273b0f69e6212813d604395727e.jpg

Crowley again, dressed as Osiris
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Aleister_Crowley_as_Osiris.jpg

Crowley again, in robes with a most peculiar hat
  https://cdn.i-scmp.com/sites/default/files/d8/images/canvas/2021/06/10/75e71e34-e140-4b99-984f-cd76c88b1865_e4ed5e53.jpg