Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help Needed: US Marines Corps -> Colours (1928)  (Read 2880 times)

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
Help Needed: US Marines Corps -> Colours (1928)
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:29:43 PM »
Hey guys,

inspired by the Chaosium CoC RPG Adventure "Escape from Innsmouth" and a Delta Green short story about the same event ("Once more from the top", by S. Glancy), I started to collect figures that would be suitable to play through the events described on tabletop.

Time has past, and though I still have lots of stuff to collect (haven't we all) I'd like to start working on the figs.

For the US marines I was adviced to buy these figs by Renegade:

as these uniforms closely resemble those that I would need - or so I have been told. I'd need to paint them up as US Marines in 1928, and it's rather difficult to find info on the uniforms.

My question: I'm looking for info:
- on the regular uniform
- on how these uniforms might look with some kind of winter camouflage added (If that was - common - practice by then, and if there's a difference in look, of course).

Pictures, photographs, Vallejo colour names, etc... any and all advise is much appreciated.
I'm not looking for 100% historical accuracy, but I'd rather not paint them totally wrong.

k.
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 02:29:36 PM »
Personally, I think you'd be better off with Pulp Figures US Marines. Apart from the tin hat, those Renegade Tommies don't have much about them that shouts out "USMC" to me.

Pulp does them in both Tommy hats and soft hats. I don't know if they're exactly right for 1928, but to me they look better than what you have there.

http://www.pulpfigures.com/catcode.php?range=Americans&code=PYS&number=12&custID=817958811135249695

Edit: I believe this recruiting poster is from 1930, which is pretty close to what you want. Hope it helps regarding colours:
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 02:50:56 PM »
Also remember the US Marines are the poor stepchildren of the military--they get everyone else's hand-me-down gear. Don't sweat the khaki color too much, because it's entirely possible that you'd have different shades within a few orders of each other--some slightly too green and some slightly more tan.

The Pulp Figures Marines are pretty much spot on. Might want to look at Brigade WWI Western Front if you're really into tin hats.

Offline Gundamentalist 5.56

• Scientist
    • http://www.theblackseal.org
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »
Unfortunately the events at Innsmouth, as documented by HPL in The Shadow over Innsmouth occur in Feb 1928. The RPG scenario has a scene occurring on a frozen lake.

I believe it can get rather cold on the US East Coast, so the OP's original choice is better than Pulp Figures marines suggested IMHO, whose the tropical uniforms would be rather inappropriate for the circumstances. You could combine the two but that's a lot of headswaps :cry:

Colder weather uniformed marines include:

HLBS Western Front marines (no pictures though)

Brigade US Marines

Old Glory make some as well but I don't like the sculpts.

As for source I've always used Osprey. They happen to have US Marine Corps in World War I 1917–18.