Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Macedonian Obsessions - added Hoplites & Horse Archers  (Read 3695 times)

Offline craigrdavey@gmail.com

• Student
Macedonian Obsessions - added Hoplites & Horse Archers
« on: September 06, 2023, 02:49:10 PM »
I’ve not done very much painting over the last few years, having burnt myself out on a couple of joint projects with BigRedBat (no hard feelings!) and pursuing other passions.

I have however been slowly working through some Victrix Macedonians and thought I’d show my progress to date.

This is the first unit I started painting about three/four years ago. I lost patience with the methodology I was using and started a second unit, utilising different techniques

« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 04:45:19 PM by craigrdavey@gmail.com »

• Student
Re: Macedonian Obsessions
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 02:52:12 PM »
So this was unit two. As noted above, it was actually finished before the previous one

• Student
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 02:55:04 PM »
By unit three, my methodology had evolved a bit further. I think I simplified it a bit too much, so whilst quicker, to my mind it was less effective

• Student
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 02:57:32 PM »
Back in the swing of things with unit four. The shields worked out pretty well, with an experiment whereby I used LBMS transfers over a bronze metallic base, rather than the usual white. I also put a bit more effort into the faces

• Student
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 03:01:08 PM »
Unit five was a bit all in, with all pikes replaced with metal and shields sourced from Potbelly in NZ. Theses were then trimmed down to the correct size.

For those interested, they’re based on the figures in the Agios Athenaois tomb paintings, including the various tunic colours used and the purple cuirasses and helmets. Probably a stretch to equip the whole unit, but who knows what the Argyraspides looked like? 😉

• Student
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 03:03:05 PM »
Last post for now, a command base, equipped as the last unit and painted using the same source

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 03:04:46 PM »
Nice. Strangely enough earlier this afternoon I finished the last three units of my Seleucid/Late Macedonian army.  Mostly Aventine but with some Gripping Beast scythed chariots, 1st Corps cataphracts and a few Foundry skirmishers . Its only taken me 6 years.   

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 04:16:42 PM »
Those are some fantastic minis!  :-*

I think we ourselves are our worst critics and that sometimes can be disheartening. Your troops will look great on the battlefield and hopefully you will keep it up.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 04:48:31 PM »
Yeah, those look excellent!

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 07:33:46 PM »
Wonderful stuff…a welcome return to the brushes

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2023, 07:51:58 PM »
Those are some great looking Macedonians!

Offline nikkobourges

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 08:33:46 PM »
Hello,
Very nice pike's blocks !!!
Nikkobourges

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2023, 11:40:07 PM »
Thanks for posting this lot. I admire your results greatly. You mentioned simplifying your techniques. Do you drop some detail in the rear ranks?

• Student
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »
Thanks for posting this lot. I admire your results greatly. You mentioned simplifying your techniques. Do you drop some detail in the rear ranks?

Wish I was that organised! No, I try to paint all the figures to the same standard as far as the vagaries of ageing eyesight allow, usually in batches of eight figures.

My painting is always a process of experimentation, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the bad. Generally I’m trying to speed up the process and even within a unit there might be variations of techniques. One thing that took me far too long to realise was that I didn’t need to paint much/any detail on the arm behind the shield; quick block in and done. I also changed the way I did the cuirasses, as most of them can’t be seen once the shield is on and the figures are ranked up. I deliberately placed the figures as close together as I could - I don’t like seeing pike in what I consider open order!

On the flip side, I increased the amount of effort I put into the faces as I went on. Once everything is based up, the eye is drawn principally to the faces and shields, so efforts were concentrated there. Hope that helps!

Online Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2023, 03:33:37 PM »
I'm a "glue the shield on, then paint" sort of guy.  All sorts of details stay primer brown behind that shield.

Lovely work BTW.  I have a few units of Carthaginian spearmen that may borrow from your work.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:35:36 PM by Ran The Cid »