Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 05:28:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Winter Of ‘79 ( updated 7 Feb Attack On The Cop Shop Game )  (Read 29549 times)

Offline Dr Bogo

• Librarian
Re: Winter Of ‘79 ( updated 25 Jan)
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2024, 12:08:01 AM »
Those are really nice, and the mosaic on the flat is something that would work perfectly for any kind of post-Soviet conflict in Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, or Central Asia.

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2024, 05:15:50 PM »
Another game today with a veteran friend who knows his skills and drills! I played the bad lads and he sorted me out good and proper with cautious movement and speedy flanking piercing of the one flank and the aggressive use of mobile reserves.

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #212 on: January 26, 2024, 05:18:37 PM »
More pics same game:

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Winter Of ‘79 ( updated Friday 26 Jan)
« Reply #213 on: January 26, 2024, 11:29:55 PM »
Fabulous stuff. :-* :-*
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #214 on: January 27, 2024, 03:06:38 PM »
That looks so cool.  Wish I could have played in it... :D
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2024, 03:37:39 PM »

Stagging on!!

I’ve meshed up the  Sarrissa watch tower . Repainted  it and added green tinted glass .

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2024, 05:34:47 PM »
I like what you have done there. Good use of an existing bit of scenery.

My inner pedant is telling me that the anti-RPG screens were typically placed to cover the upper, observation deck of NI watchtowers and that they were placed to give greater stand-off range. There were standard RE patterns for towers, albeit with individual variations.

The famous Golf Five ( the Borucki Sangar) in Crossmaglen was an example of a watchtower with full height coverage of anti-RPG/ mortar screening but even there the stand-off distance between tower and screening was much wider.

Really handy site on the topic:

https://frontlineulster.co.uk/fortifications-of-operation-banner/

Obviously it's a bit of a pain making those and it means they absorb a bit more table space than is desirable, so I fully get and endorse the compromise made.

Stoopid me bought lengths of a 28mm Berlin Wall (which I am happily daubing with graffitti) along with the associated watchtowers. I even dug out all of the Czech hedgehogs I had as well as buying some more to create a border strip. Of course that's pure madness. Even at table's edge, to give a proper representation of the wall with inner and outer walls, anti-vehicular obstacles, lighting and the death strip would consume at minimum a foot of table space and to make it look vaguely realistic at least two feet and in my case it would be non-playable set dressing.  o_o
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 05:37:04 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline HESH

• Librarian
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2024, 06:30:26 PM »
Thanks for your insight and also the link to a superb resource.

Your project sounds impressive band be great to see progress pics if you get chance?

I based my tower on this one …

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2024, 10:14:39 PM »
Stand-off or not, it gives the right look to it methinks.  Nicely done...

Offline Capt Troy Tempest

• Bookworm
« Reply #219 on: January 29, 2024, 10:48:10 PM »
Amazing gaming board again.

Any idea if flats going t be available later in year?

Remember most security force premises being surrounded by tall metal corrugated walls. Presume to prevent anything being thrown over.

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2024, 12:16:36 AM »
Amazing gaming board again.

Any idea if flats going t be available later in year?

Remember most security force premises being surrounded by tall metal corrugated walls. Presume to prevent anything being thrown over.

And through - flaming crap doesn’t go through a solid surface unlike chain-link fence!

Fantastic game board, and painting!!!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2024, 12:39:01 AM »

Largely to prevent observation of what was going on inside and of course the army has access to shit loads of CGI sheeting, which it also uses for more warlike purposes like revetting bunkers, weapons pits and the like.

Much of the military architecture of the troubles started with often, jerry built, CGI structures before evolving in the '80s, '90s and beyond. At some point in time some of the CGI sheeting was replaced with ribbed metal roofing sheets that served the same function. There are still extant traces at places like Bessbrook Mill ,a major army base of the period.

On a related note I just rediscovered my Mike Bravo IS troops, all four of them. Makes me want to dig out my Wessex and put that together. That said I don't have the space or inclination to build Bessbrook itself. lol

You should put some anti-vehicular concrete blocks out. Those things even came back into fashion locally after we had some madman run down a bunch of people in a car in a city pedestrian mall.

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2024, 02:33:24 AM »
Largely to prevent observation of what was going on inside and of course the army has access to shit loads of CGI sheeting, which it also uses for more warlike purposes like revetting bunkers, weapons pits and the like.

Much of the military architecture of the troubles started with often, jerry built, CGI structures before evolving in the '80s, '90s and beyond. At some point in time some of the CGI sheeting was replaced with ribbed metal roofing sheets that served the same function. There are still extant traces at places like Bessbrook Mill ,a major army base of the period.

On a related note I just rediscovered my Mike Bravo IS troops, all four of them. Makes me want to dig out my Wessex and put that together. That said I don't have the space or inclination to build Bessbrook itself. lol

You should put some anti-vehicular concrete blocks out. Those things even came back into fashion locally after we had some madman run down a bunch of people in a car in a city pedestrian mall.

All true.

Barricades are easy to make, too. I have a ton of leftover resin blocks from Forgeworld that are being saved for that purpose. Thanks, FW!

Here in Canada we’ve had MANY (well, for Canada) idiots doing exactly what you’re talking about. What the fuck is wrong with people. Seriously. Mostly INCEL retards killing racially visible families that have fuck all to do with their internet retardation.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2024, 05:11:55 AM »
Chaps, please cool it on the expletives and the sociopolitical diatribes and do try to focus on the modelling and gaming parts. Thanks!

Offline dickiegranthum

• Bookworm
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2024, 05:53:45 AM »
Chaps, please cool it on the expletives and the sociopolitical diatribes and do try to focus on the modelling and gaming parts. Thanks!

Sorry dude! Message received. Ack last.