Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monmouth Courthouse 1778 - Washington Saves the Day  (Read 1412 times)

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Monmouth Courthouse 1778 - Washington Saves the Day
« on: November 03, 2023, 07:08:14 PM »
Fought the Monmouth Courthouse - Washington Saves the Day scenario from Book 1 of the British Grenadier scenario books last weekend.

We actually used Rebels and Patriots for rules although, that said, we found initially the firing and morale a bit strong, presumably because they cover ACW as well. Anyway after some modifications we restarted the game and the rules were fine.

As the US player I expected an assault from the grenadiers and highlanders but my opponent chose to engage in a fire fire gradually flanking me on my right as my additional troops took a while to arrive.

He managed to mass his artillery on high ground so I fell back with the intention of forming a new defensive position but we were running out of time at this point and as I had lost more men than my opponent (contrary to the US victory conditions) the game was declared a British victory  :(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 01:58:45 PM by armchairgeneral »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Monmouth Courthouse - Washington Saves the Day
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 07:13:59 PM »
More pictures

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Monmouth Courthouse 1778 - Washington Saves the Day
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »
Nice looking game  :)

Offline Count Belisarius

• Bookworm
    • Another Slight Diversion
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 09:55:33 AM »
Excellent looking game.

Offline Bellerophon

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 04:22:52 PM »
Did you guys make any modifications to make the game mass-battle suited, since the core rules kind of assume a skirmish? I actually played R&P last night and players were a little nonplussed at the lack of flanking, formations, etc

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2023, 09:28:53 PM »
We assumed all formed infantry were in close order which have flanking rules applying?

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2023, 09:50:03 PM »
WOW...great spectacle.

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2023, 10:04:49 PM »
Looks like it was quite the affair.  The terrain and figures look great.  Well done!

As an aside, I have an ancestor who fought at Monmouth, in Malcolm's Additional Continental Regiment.  As an AWI reenactor, we fought at the 225th anniversary battle reenactment.  It was historically correct weather - hot and humid...and as it turns out, mu reenactment unit fought over the same ground my ancestor actually fought on - that was way cool!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2023, 06:29:12 AM »
Lovely table and very interested that that you used R&P for a bigger battle - nice.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2023, 12:13:09 PM »
Fought the Monmouth Courthouse - Washington Saves the Day scenario from Book 1 of the British Grenadier scenario books last weekend.

Hi, followed this action with some interest.  My Osprey Campaign on the battle was published slightly after the original scenario and I had a (friendly) argument with the scenario writer - Eclaireur himself - about the order-of-battle and the positioning of many of the units, many of which are misleading.  I particularly disagreed with his choice of title - Washington most certainly did NOT save the day, in fact, he made several blunders that almost got Lee surrounded and cut off.  One of these was leaving far too late with his main force - he hadn't reached the Spotswood South Brook when Lee started his retreat, or rather when Scott and Maxwell insubordinately started it for him, and the line he set up atop Perrine Ridge was very much forced on him, rather than a chosen defensive position.

Incidentally, far and away THE best book on the battle is the recently-published Fateful Sunday by Garry Stone and Mark Lender - if you haven't yet, do get a copy of it.  Stone was the battlefield park curator when I toured it for my research, and he told me that they were actually trying to copy all of the buildings exactly AND make sure that the correct crops were growing in each of the fields!
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 12:25:24 PM »
Incidentally, far and away THE best book on the battle is the recently-published Fateful Sunday by Garry Stone and Mark Lender - if you haven't yet, do get a copy of it.  Stone was the battlefield park curator when I toured it for my research, and he told me that they were actually trying to copy all of the buildings exactly AND make sure that the correct crops were growing in each of the fields!

Recently finished reading Fatal Sunday which inspired me to do this scenario :) The book does point out that once Washington had met with Lee and taken stock of the situation be performed well in establishing his defensive line and inspiring the troops. Interesting that after the battle, which can best be summed up as a draw, it was spun as a victory to restore Washington's reputation to some extent at the expense of General Lee's.

Offline Bellerophon

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 03:52:13 PM »
Hi, followed this action with some interest.  My Osprey Campaign on the battle was published slightly after the original scenario and I had a (friendly) argument with the scenario writer - Eclaireur himself - about the order-of-battle and the positioning of many of the units, many of which are misleading.  I particularly disagreed with his choice of title - Washington most certainly did NOT save the day, in fact, he made several blunders that almost got Lee surrounded and cut off.  One of these was leaving far too late with his main force - he hadn't reached the Spotswood South Brook when Lee started his retreat, or rather when Scott and Maxwell insubordinately started it for him, and the line he set up atop Perrine Ridge was very much forced on him, rather than a chosen defensive position.

If Eclaireur wrote the Hubbardton scenario that includes Cannon, his work is all pretty suspect IMO.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 07:45:46 PM »
Anyone know who Eclaireur is?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2023, 05:48:40 AM »
Beautiful looking game but not very unsporting of the British player to not engage in reckless charging - how un-Hollywood of him.  lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:51:26 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2023, 10:11:13 AM »
proper looking game  :-*