Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:18:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New army: Pyrrhus  (Read 2527 times)

Offline markw

• Librarian
New army: Pyrrhus
« on: November 13, 2023, 06:55:40 PM »
As I have nearly completed my Agema Etruscan miniatures I am now looking ahead to 2024 and my gaze as settled on a Pyrrhic force.

I am looking for recommendations of manufacturers that can give me a good choice of troop types and of course the odd Nelly as well.

I like plastics but i dislike static poses that you sometimes get. Looking for a good mix of troop types as well.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 05:18:19 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: New army Phyrus
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 09:00:23 PM »
Hi, can't advise on plastics as my "Successor" army is by Aventine Miniatures. Beautiful figures at a decent price. Recommended. I mix them with Foundry peltasts as about the only Aventine figures I don't like are their javelinmen.   

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 10:13:57 PM »
Well, I have to say that Aventine are the range I'd choose if I was using metals. They have a wide range, are lovely minis, and they're a joy to paint.
But being an awkward old git, I'm working on Mithridate's army using plastics. So that's Victrix, Agema, and Wargames Atlantic. Although I tend to use the more active looking poses for skirmishers, I definitely prefer the static poses for formed troops as they tend to be easier to base.
They're of a size and so mix well enough. My imitation legionaries/ thorakites, are Victrix and Agema, and the units include Italian/ Roman deserters.
Plastics seem to suit the club mindset and they seem to encourage a little more creativity.
Much like the old days of Airfix Romans and Britons, drawing pins for shields, iron pins for spears...small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts....rush goalie....marvelous. 

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 10:23:02 PM »
If you like plastics then Victrix is deffo the way to go, they have a pretty sizeable ancients range including plenty of Greek and Macedonian options (as well as nellies)- very highly detailed, though they are a little bigger than most other ranges so might look a bit strange if you mix within a unit.

Warlord Games is the way to go if you want to get lots of relatively cheap models on the table, they likewise have a very good plastic range, as well as some metal kits which can vary a little.

Footsore are good for character models, as they sell lots of very nice individual sculpts in their Mortal Gods range- it’s designed for the classical period but they’ve recently added ranges of Thracians, Persians, and chariots which would work nicely for a successor army. They’ve also started retailing Agema Miniatures, which have some pretty sizeable metal elephants for a decent price.

If it’s elephants you’re focused on then Aventine Miniatures has some huge resin elephants, which are very nicely detailed- they recently switched to a new site and there may be a little delay on orders but the minis are good once you get them!

And finally Foundry has some lovely successor sculpts as well! They’re a little more cartoon-y than the others, but they’ll look fine together from a few feet away.

Hope some of this was helpful, I’m hoping to see the army on this site once you’ve started work on ‘em ;)

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 07:14:06 AM »
Some excellent advice on manufacturers of choice. I am still waiting for some views on 1st Corp, gripping beast and newline. Bu t so far a great response

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 08:35:59 AM »
1st Corps are OK but smaller than Aventine, Foundry or Gripping Beast. Personally I wouldn't bother with Newline. They certainly don't mix with the others but I know some people like them.

Offline Ran The Cid

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 02:21:12 PM »
Some excellent advice on manufacturers of choice. I am still waiting for some views on 1st Corp, gripping beast and newline. Bu t so far a great response

Gripping Beast phalangite on the left, compared with Warlord and Gorgon 1st class Etruscan.

Working with the Latin/Samnite figures, Newline and Crusader match well.  I mix both lines in the same unit.  Some of the Newline offerings are limited in the number of sculpts, take a close look at their pics to make sure there is enough variety for your project.

Offline Thoronde

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 02:38:49 PM »
I own a Victrix and Aventine Succesors army and I would really recommend both.

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2023, 02:47:29 AM »
After a lot of thought and investigation I have whittled my choice down to Aventine and Foundry.

Both have a great range and choice so my question is before I take the plunge do they mix or do I keep them separate.

I particularly like the unarmored Macedonian foundry's characters so I could put together a unit of them. I also like the wide choices from Aventine.

Any help is much appreciated

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: New army: Pyrrhus
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2023, 06:32:03 AM »
Mark, a good call IMHO. I have an army of Aventine Successors which are very nice, but no Foundry phalangites. I do however have some Foundry psiloi as they are superb, and the match Aventine spot-on as regards height and "heft". Aventine have an army "offer" of 64 phalangites for £85, plus unit deals albeit I can't see the latter on the website. Foundry are currently running their Christmas sale.

If you pm me your e-mail I can send you some photos.

Regards 

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2023, 12:18:42 PM »
Hi,

Great feedback from everyone.  I have decided on wargames foundry for foot. Now I need to think about manufacturers for mounted troops. Any advice ?

Offline Basementboy

• Mad Scientist
  • Happy little chappy from the mythical ingerland
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2023, 04:06:33 PM »
Aventine’s cataphracts are pretty good from what I hear, and their elephants are wonderful. Victrix have got some great Greek cavalry, royal companions and some kits of generic Middle Eastern cavalry too. I’d probably recommend Aventine, the scale is more similar to foundry, and Victrix don’t do ant cataphracts either. Warlord has some heavy successor cavalry, but I don’t know the quality.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2023, 06:20:22 PM »
You can't beat Aventine's quality but their cavalry are all "heavy armoured types". Foundry produce some nice "lighter" cavalry in their Macedonian and Greek ranges and are currently subject to their Christmas discount. They would be my "go to" ranges.   

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 07:58:15 PM »
I have used both Warlord plastic and Victrix for my ancient greeks - if you are looking for volume go Warlord - plus they are easier to assemble and paint. I tend to adopt a factory line approach to my painting so the more uniform they are in pose helps enormously. Saying that Victrix are great especially for skirmish plastic units.

I have 8 warlord elephants to paint...but that is another story...

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 09:13:05 PM »
The Foundry figures are very nice and eminently suitable for early Successors, (no cataphracts in the army of Pyrrhus.)