Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:23:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Campaigns of Edmund of Anglia - Waelstowe solo play  (Read 511 times)

Offline Athelstane57

• Assistant
Campaigns of Edmund of Anglia - Waelstowe solo play
« on: December 12, 2023, 02:13:41 PM »
Alfred the younger was slain in battle and Wessex descended into chaos.  Edmund of Anglia, who has sheltered with the kings of Wessex fled to his homeland.  Here he gather the demoralised Anglian nobles who had endured years of misrule.  After driving out those who opposed him, Edmund gathered an army to drive Halfdane out of East Merica

Aethulwulf of Anglia is amazed as in the gloom, Halfdane, alone and injured, throws himself at the English.  Minutes later Halfdane is down, seriously injured.  The English hold the battle field

Edmund then gets into a series of wars with the resurgent Welsh, lead by Hyffaid of Dyfed.  God forsakes the Anglians and Edmund is captured and has to accepts Hyffaid as his overlord, losing claim to all but Anglia.  Edmund rebels and drives out those Anglians that had thrown in their lot with the Welsh.  Hyffaid responds quickly and corners Edmund at a small market town on the River Stour

I was the Antagonist (defender if you will) in a solo game against the south Welsh of Hyffaid.  I'd lost a couple of solo games already against the Welsh, so I thought even harder about this one.  I spotted the way the terrain had been set up and saw my opportunity.  If I moved Edwin behind the woods, the Welsh were bound to advanced towards me and their formations break up as they entered the woods.  Thus weakened I could send Wilfrith, Edmund's right hand man to smash the disorganised Welsh.

Edmund and Wilfrith confer about Edmund's plan to use himself to bait the Welsh into charging him.  "Make sure you don't come to my aid too late", Edmund tells Wilfrith.

Hyffaid espies the Anglians on the low hills near the Stour

Gwir leads his men into the woods as he tries to get to grips with Edmund

on the Anglian left Aethulwulf leads his men against the Welsh and Anglian rebels lead by Petroc

The flaw in Edmund's plan.  Wilfrith can't or won't get his men to move and Edmund must face Hyffaid and Gwir alone.

Finally Wilfrith urges his men off their hill and engage with the Welsh of Hyffaid.  The charge of the Anglians smashes into the Welsh and all Hyffaids warriors and kinsmen forsake him.  Hyffaid, alone and injured, fights on, like one of the knights of King Arthur he claims descent from

And that's were it all went wrong for the Anglians.  Wifrith's men baulked at attacking this mad Welsh knight, so Wifrith himself rushed in, twice.  Wilfrith lost contact with his Kinsmen and found himself alone against Hyffaid.  Hyffaid, although injured by Wilfrith, managed to fell Wilfrith.  At this point a large number of the Anglians ran off and the Welsh secured an unlikely victory.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 02:54:17 PM by Athelstane57 »

Offline Finngar

• Lurker
Re: Campaigns of Edmund of Anglia - Waelstowe solo play
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 09:16:58 PM »
Hi

Are these your own rules?  Would you be willing to share them?  The 8/9th centuries in the north sea is a favorite period of mine and I have always been interested in the Kingdom of Mercia under Offa.  I recently ran across Porter's series "The Mercia Chronicles" which further fueled my interests in this period also.

I would be willing to make a donation if you could share these.

My email address is fingersonkyle@gmail.com

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

Kyle