Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:30:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691104
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mini Gaming space  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
Mini Gaming space
« on: December 13, 2023, 11:24:41 AM »
I mostly game 6-10mm using skirmish rules like songs of drums and shakos converting the scales down so I wanted to see how compact I could make my gaming space.

My first ry was a cheap magnetised notice board but I was more interested in keeping everything compact not just using  small board

So I started with a 34x34cmdesk tidy I picked up off ebay for a tenner

I wanted to flock the top but I needed it to be able to deal with rough handling so I went with some railway flock sheets

Tough enough and stuck down easily but it was a bit too snooker table green

Out came some paint, pva glue and a liberal amount of my standard flocking

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Mini Gaming space
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 11:29:04 AM »
The added beauty of this system is the 2 draw organisation

Plenty of room for terrain, minitures rulebooks and gaming accessories

The draws are a little over 12x12 so theres enough space left for terrain boards if I ever was to expand to a 2x2 board

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »
The main games I'll use this for are

a song of drums and shakos using 6mm Adler minis

and a song of Arthur and Merlin using 10mm Pendraken
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 11:46:51 AM by Kikuchiyo »

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 07:56:11 AM »
It'd say it looks grand, but that'd be the wrong terminology. Great also doesn't quite cover it though, considering how small everything is!

Nice, pretty, cute; they do justice to the size, but not to the work and idea again.

So something inbetween would be about right, but I can't come up with the right terms.

Suffice to say I really like the concept and execution :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 09:07:59 AM »
Thanks, still got work to do, need a river, bridge, fields or arleast some wall fences and hedges, also eyeing up so buildings,

Trying to decide if I can get away with some of total battle miniatures mediteranian stuff in 6mm for both

I've certainly seen enough online to suggest Roman Briton buildings looked similar, would be even better if I could find a ruin or two in the same style

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 10:31:12 AM »
Well, if you're doing skirmishes anyway, some buildings would certainly not go amiss. Playable interiors are probably out though ;)

And Romans brought their architecture and building sensibilities all across the empire. So I'd say that Roman(esque) buildings would not be out of place from Saharan deserts, through mediterranean areas all the way up to Hadrian's Wall and the River Rhine. Just a bit of local terrain added for flavour and you're done.

That would certainly help you keeping the amount of terrain in check. Also; I really like all of my own terrain to be multi-use as much as possible too.

Maybe add a pallisade wall to the range though; they're great for a whole range of situations too: a Limes wall, village defenses (both Roman and local), Roman forts etc, etc. Just do enough pieces to cross the board (possibly with a gate and a watchtower or two as well), and you're set for a slew of interesting scenarios :)

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 10:35:34 AM »
Those are all good ideas, my only stumbling block is the mix in cakes 8mm Adler and 10MM Pendraken do need something in the middle scale wise so I'll need to look at the smaller 10mm stuff out there

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2023, 10:59:59 AM »
I'm hoping something like this might work, maybe with a reworked doorframe

http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/61/16577-081223163823.jpeg

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2023, 11:52:09 AM »
They look particularly nice indeed :)

I personally have a set of 10mm near-future buildings that I use for both 10 and 15mm, and none's the wiser to be honest. They look good with either range of minis. And I will probably use them with 6mm (old school Epic) when I get round to that too.

So if I were you, I'd go with some middle of the road buildings, so additions in either 6mm or 8mm would not look out of place next to them.

Also; I'd refrain from rescaling features of the buildings. It's probably not worth the effort unless the scale differences are particularly glaring.

Keep in mind that your 6mm minis will be based, so at eye-level will look slightly too large for 'true' 6mm buildings anyway. And the thickness of a base matters a lot in these scales! So you'd probably be well served with nominal 8mm buildings anyway.

Especially since the wargaming 'scale' only refers to the height of the minis; it totally ignores the bulk/width of the minis. And this, especially at the smaller/tiny scales, will be hugely exaggerated, simply because of the materials used.

I'm sure you would be able to get some perfectly proportioned figures with the right high resolution 3D resin printers out there, but they would be super fragile. Metal or plastic minis at 6mm will be thicker because of the limitations of the casting processes. Imagine a block of pikemen with realistically proportioned pikes at 6mm. They'd break just looking at them, if you could even see them at all!

So I use 1/50 scale buildings and vehicles (sometimes even 1/48) with my '28mm' miniatures, as the base adds the height that the miniature's bulk suggests. And the terrain then works with the miniatures.

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2023, 12:05:33 PM »
Thanks thats good advice

I'm set with metal figs Adler 6/8mm and mostly 10mm Pendraken with a bit of lancashire games thrown in

With the draws being 40mm deep I will have to either stick wit single floor 10mm or scale down to 6mm

I'd still be keen on upscaling the door frames if I go down the 6mm route. I only need to 1-2 buildings which isn't that much greenstuff work

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 01:18:17 PM »
Started on my Arthur and Merlin figures too

This one's my Romano-British Leader Pendraken conversion

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2023, 01:24:56 PM »
Bril! 8)

Also; that's quite an impressive amount of detail for such a tiny figure. Great work!

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2023, 01:38:17 PM »
Thanks

The late Roman range from Pendraken are really worth the effort

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 04:28:13 PM »
It's so good! 
I always joke that my gaming tables are small enough for my wife to put her feet up on the coffee table!

Offline Kikuchiyo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »
Come to think of it adding a set of legs could be interesting...