Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gladiators project for 2024 - arena, miniatures etc - need advice please  (Read 1778 times)

Offline JimboXL

• Lurker
Hi, I received lots of interesting gifts for Christmas, be it modeling tools from Grennstuff and clay up to Calligraphy tools, my question is...am I able to use all this stuff for my project or is wiser to sell the calligraphy tools and invest more into modeling stuff, first of all, Id like to keep it if it could have some unique usage, if it can be of use in my project and would need advice from experienced members, whom fe worked on some bigger project, how can I proceed.
I also got a book on building various cities, and even complete fantasy or medieval worlds of Jared Blando, that looks really nice and I think could help me to build the model of the colloseum or fantasy arena. Im also courious on other people projects and resources, Im new here, so looking around. Do You guys think such a book can be of good use in my project? What materials would You fe use for building such gladiator arena, isnt somewhere described any project for inspiration?

As brother knew Im big fan of history and Gladiator with Crow is my favourite movie, I also received a wooden sword for kind of historical larp group, it isnt exactly larp, but the group that is into gladiators in nearby city use wooden swords, thats just a nice addition and bit of curiosity.

Today I bought Nossov book on gladiators for basic references, and in need or ...would like more additional literature, preferably with illustrations, this Nossov book looks very nice and I bought it for 5 USD in antique book store. I also bought a AK book Figure sculpturing and converting techniques, havent unpacked so far, but was recommended to me as one of the good sources. So, this part is on books, which additional literature would You recommend me to get, not nessessary right now, but continuously during the year and as Ill proceed slowly with my dream project.

Last, but not least is minis itself, I want to create some and unsure what scale would been good for such project, so happily will let experienced members a place to explain me stuff, when You guys have a time, do not hesitate to comment or DM me please, I will very much appreciate it.
Some of the minis I would like to buy but due to Brexit its becoming complicated to order from UK, so for me is much better Germany, Austria and neighboring countries, but do not know any good store or minis brands that produce good quality minis of gladiators, so if You post a link or note the stores in comments, it would been awesome.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Offline JimboXL

• Lurker
Re: Gladiators project for 2024 - arena, miniatures etc - need advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 03:49:41 PM »
I totally forgotten to mention, are there any good boardgames which parts I could use for my project, I know only Blood and treatchery of the gladiator themed, but as far as I know its a card game, unsure if something of it would been of use. Also, I need to know additional materials for building and modeling, I think some kind of foam? cardboard or so?, I would like it to look nice, but wouldnt like or cant spend a fortune on my project, fortune for me:-) so lets say Id like to work with materials that are not so expensive and are easy to obtain, without need of ordering from foreign countries, If there is some guide on budget wargaming, or some interesting projects for my inspiration Ill be happy.

Maybe some of mine questions may sound silly, but Im a beginner and would love to work continuously, Im aware itll be long term project and would like to done things well, if I invest in something so be it in good use, because several times I wasted money on stuff that didnt worked well together, because I didnt do proper research or didnt asked people who have far more experiences in watever field.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 07:50:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I have an old unfinished project for 28mm gladiators on the shelf, I guess we all have  ;) Funny enough I was tonight searching for some solo rules to get the project going again. If you want to build everything from scratch I think this is a good tutorial:

https://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/2022/06/building-28mm-gladiator-arena-for-blood.html

Sarissa can also give you some good ideas:

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/streets-of-rome-28mm

You need some insulation (blue or pink) foam (and a hot wire cutter), mdf sheets, white wood glue etc to get started. If you google 28mm gladiator arena you will find loads of inspiration. For books Osprey have a few inexpensive titles such as ELI246 and WAR39.

For miniatures 28mm is the best option I think. I have gladiator miniatures from Wargames Foundry and Crusader which I think are great miniatures. I would not be concerned to order Crusader miniatures from Northstar since they deduct the VAT. If you want to order from Germany, https://www.miniaturicum.de/ is a good option.

Please post your progress on this forum  ;)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 08:28:49 PM »
Welcome to LAF!

The advice from Traveller is very sensible. There are several manufacturers who make very nice 28mm sized gladiators. It should not be very expensive to buy a few packs to get a small selection of gladiator types so you can start trying some games.

I think Traveller is correct that many of us have started gladiator projects. In my case, I decided to take a different approach and used 1:72 scale plastic gladiator figures because they are cheaper than 28mm metal figures. Several manufacturers make them. A website called Plastic Soldier Review has a list here: http://plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodList.aspx?period=4#Gladiators

Although 1:72 figures are inexpensive, there are several challenges with using 1:72 plastic figures - they can be more difficult to find in stock online than 28mm; it can be difficult to remove excess plastic; the plastic is flexible and may be bent inside the box, which can be a challenge to correct; and it can be more difficult to get paint to stick permanently to the figures. If I was starting a new gladiator project I would probably use 28mm metal figures.

For making an arena, it is possible to use inexpensive materials, such as cardboard from boxes. Cardboard can look good, if the surfaces are textured and painted.

Offline JimboXL

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 08:43:40 PM »
Thank you very much, I will check the plastic ones too, but probably because of what You guys said, I will buy metal. Is it fe too difficult to create my own? I got a sculpting tools, books and other materials, but maybe would been concerned of to have correct anatomy, that could be really challenging. How about the books please, I do own some Osprey too, and I think its those You mentioned, what Im thinking about is like Nossov work, but yet more Complex.

Thanks a lot!

Offline JimboXL

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 08:51:04 PM »
Hi, I received lots of interesting gifts for Christmas, be it modeling tools from Grennstuff and clay up to Calligraphy tools, my question is...am I able to use all this stuff for my project or is wiser to sell the calligraphy tools and invest more into modeling stuff, first of all, Id like to keep it if it could have some unique usage, if it can be of use in my project and would need advice from experienced members, whom fe worked on some bigger project, how can I proceed.
I also got a book on building various cities, and even complete fantasy or medieval worlds of Jared Blando, that looks really nice and I think could help me to build the model of the colloseum or fantasy arena. Im also courious on other people projects and resources, Im new here, so looking around. Do You guys think such a book can be of good use in my project? What materials would You fe use for building such gladiator arena, isnt somewhere described any project for inspiration?

As brother knew Im big fan of history and Gladiator with Crow is my favourite movie, I also received a wooden sword for kind of historical larp group, it isnt exactly larp, but the group that is into gladiators in nearby city use wooden swords, thats just a nice addition and bit of curiosity.

Today I bought Nossov book on gladiators for basic references, and in need or ...would like more additional literature, preferably with illustrations, this Nossov book looks very nice and I bought it for 5 USD in antique book store. I also bought a AK book Figure sculpturing and converting techniques, havent unpacked so far, but was recommended to me as one of the good sources. So, this part is on books, which additional literature would You recommend me to get, not nessessary right now, but continuously during the year and as Ill proceed slowly with my dream project.

Last, but not least is minis itself, I want to create some and unsure what scale would been good for such project, so happily will let experienced members a place to explain me stuff, when You guys have a time, do not hesitate to comment or DM me please, I will very much appreciate it.
Some of the minis I would like to buy but due to Brexit its becoming complicated to order from UK, so for me is much better Germany, Austria and neighboring countries, but do not know any good store or minis brands that produce good quality minis of gladiators, so if You post a link or note the stores in comments, it would been awesome.

Thanks and Happy New Year

Thanks for great tips, as I commented bellow, Im still in Search in proper books to get more detailed knowledge on everything, not only from wargaming perspective, but also for my own interest in Ancient history. Your tips are great, I really appreciate it, You have put some effort in it:-) how about rule books, my other question, I would like to try one solo and some for two players or such, that could be combined.

Last thing, do You Think I can somehow use the skills and tools in calligraphy or better to sell and get some additional modeling materials and tools. Its quiet not big money, but about 150 USD+ in my calligraphic tools, unsure if worldbuilding or so could help me, even if in this or another future projects. Will appreciate any feedback from you or other guys here.

Happy New Year

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 09:40:09 PM »
I can’t make recommendations about calligraphy equipment, as I don’t know that hobby/ market at all. As for using it as part of gladiator gaming- maybe? It would depend on what kind of written materials you intend to use. I don’t think they would be much use on the models or scenery.

As for sculpting, I have experimented with that. It is possible to sculpt gaming figures, but it is not easy! I found the most important part is to be patient- build up the figure in layers (starting with a very simplified shape), then sculpt details in stages and let the material cure/dry before starting on additional details. Your guide books will probably be a big help for planning and for developing skills.

Some LAF members create figures and get excellent results. Searching on the forum for threads they posted may provide inspiration!

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2024, 09:02:30 AM »
This is what I did when I decided to play gladiator games: https://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2010/03/spartacus-blood-sand.html
Hope it helps

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2024, 09:30:14 AM »
Germany, Austria and neighboring countries, but do not know any good store or minis brands that produce good quality minis of gladiators, so if You post a link or note the stores in comments, it would been awesome.

There are plenty of miniatures for Gladiators, but you'll have to order them from web shops mainly. In Germany there are Battlefield Berlin, Fantasywelt and many others. Just browse their sites for gladiators. I painted a lot of Foundry gladiators, but there are also 3D prints meanwhile.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=133352.0

For the arena I planned to use the Playmobil colosseum with a little paint on it. I bought it, but haven't started work on it yet. If interested, drop me a PM - I'm willing to sell it (shipping from Germany).

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:33:23 AM by Michi »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2024, 10:11:04 AM »
EM-4 does some decent minis, they used to be part of a game set, which I don't see on their site anymore.

https://em4miniatures.com/collections/gladiators

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2024, 05:15:44 PM »
There are a few good rules around for gladiator projects.

Another option for figures are 1/32-40mm plastics from Pegasus.

I used polystyrene and card for my arena for games it is in a 600 x 600mm ply wood 3mm board and is semi circular.

All the best with your project

Cheers
Matt

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 04:22:56 AM »
Though not for everyone, you might also want to look into the options in 54mm.  More expensive, but if you aren't trying to make whole schools of gladiators it's not unreasonable.  Most sculpts are well detailed and animated and paint up really well.  They look impressive on the table!

There are a few companies that made plastic ones - Italieri, Pegaso, and a few others.  There are a growing number of resin ones sold as STLs to be printed or folks who sell the prints.  There are lots of sellers of metal ones - ebay for example, and often you'll find them on sale.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 04:39:50 PM »
If you are open to alternatives to 28 mm then check out Museum Miniatures - gladiator figures (important note: 8 per pack!): https://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=gladiators and also https://www.museumminiatures.co.uk/classical/gladiator.html the latter link has a mixed pack of 24 - and Forged in Battle, not sure if they have gladiators per se but I think so since they do have a range for the Slave Revolt, but they also have Roman civilians: https://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86_189&product_id=56 and a variety of Roman architecture:https://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=86_162&product_id=64  - both 15 mm options.  Also, in 15 mm, you are more likely to find an arena or, if building it yourself, be easier to build - and take up less room on the gaming table.  Check out the pre-printed 3D printing world for an arena - unless you have your own 3D printer (not on my list - let someone else do it for me).

Just checked out Forged in Battle and they have this: https://www.forgedinbattle.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=126_161_155&product_id=504

Looks like Rebelminis has a pack of gladiators but only four poses: https://www.rebelminis.com/15rogl.html.   And check out Donnington Miniatures, here is a link to their casualties page: https://shop.ancient-modern.co.uk/casualties-97-c.asp

Don't just go to the linked pages, explore the sites - much coolness to be found.

With a lot of luck, you might find a decent Roman forum style model in a pet supply store aquarium decor section.  I have one in a ruined state that might be a little small - maybe there is one out there a bit larger and in tact?

Yes, I am an advocate of 15 mm but I really think you can do a better set up for gladiators in 15 mm than you could ever hope to do in 28 mm - unless the appeal is a super detailed paint job and then I'd check into 40/42 mm figures but no idea if they exist for gladiators.   

As to 15 mm - I think it will play exactly the same as 28 mm if you individually base (can get a lot of thin round steel packs on the internet these days).

And a truly great reason for 15 mm: unless this is a real passion of yours, it is likely to be only played once or twice a year and then stored until next year - 15 mm will take up A LOT LESS storage space! 

I used to have the Museum Miniatures figures but sold them on - was never more than a passing interest for me; nice figures. Sounds like you have a higher interest level.

Hope that helps.

edit: afraid the sources I linked are pretty much UK based but maybe being 15 mm the 'carrying charges' won't be quite as severe - and if you source everything from Forged In Battle, maybe just one order needed.  Good luck with your project.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 06:33:15 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 05:10:07 AM »

The Playmobil product paints up nicely. But, as others have pointed out a hot-wire cutter and some insulation board will give very satisfactory results. MOre on my little project can be found here https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2019/08/omnia-parata-playmobil-coliseum-base-is.html

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2024, 08:53:40 PM »
Great looking arena!