Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:24:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking to encapsulate mini's in clear resin - Any suggestions on which resin?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
I'm got some painted 6mm mini's which I'd like to set into crystal clear resin to make them look blister packed like this...

I've never used clear resin before and, obviously I'm only going to be using tiny amounts of resin, so I'm mainly considering a small bottle of UV cure resin, which I can play about with a drop at a time and without having to mix a catalyst into it. Is this a good idea? Does anyone use similar?

If you've any other suggestions, please make them.

Thanks in anticipation!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Might just be me but I don't see any picture in your post?
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
I'm as much of a noob on this front as you are, but yes; I did buy a small bottle of UV-resin to play around with. Think drinking trough for animals (in 28mm), puddles on bases, etc.

I think for what you're planning to do, this would be the best solution as well...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries

I think for what you're planning to do, this would be the best solution as well...

After you?

;)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
 lol

I might actually use it in my BSC entry, so I might be able to shed some (UV) light on its use then :)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
I do not think your solution will work too well.  UV only penetrates a couple of mm into the surface so that is all it will cure.  It will take lots of little applications to get that kind of depth.  Two part resin will work much better or you could also try some home vacuforming to make the shell.  There are plenty of tutorials out there which might help. 

If you are set on resins, it will depend on what country you are in and how deep the pour is.  Talking to local users will be best for advice.  With regards to the depth of the pour, deeper pours take more time to cure, have more chances to fail and can generate lots of heat.  Several small pours generally works better.  Just some things to keep in mind. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
I do not think your solution will work too well.  UV only penetrates a couple of mm into the surface so that is all it will cure.  It will take lots of little applications to get that kind of depth.  Two part resin will work much better or you could also try some home vacuforming to make the shell.  There are plenty of tutorials out there which might help. 

It's 6mm figures so I only need a couple of mm cured. 10 x 4 mm maximum... Vac forming those would be nightmarish but thanks for the suggestions. ;)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Wouldn't the Woodland Scenics water products, the EZ water or Deep Water be the simplest solution?  They dry hard and clear. I know the latter is a two part resin but it's a well known and well rated product. Admittedly they aren't exactly not cheap but then you can use it for other projects.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/C1206

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/CW4510
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries

[/quote]
I might actually use it in my BSC entry, so I might be able to shed some (UV) light on its use then :)

Hah! I wait with baited-breath.  8)

Wouldn't the Woodland Scenics water products, the EZ water or Deep Water be the simplest solution?  They dry hard and clear. I know the latter is a two part resin but it's a well known and well rated product. Admittedly they aren't exactly not cheap but then you can use it for other projects.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/C1206

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/item/CW4510 

Good suggestion -thanks!

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
I’ve used the EZ Water but found it needs to be in fairly thin layers to dry clear. But it does give a very good water effect.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
You may want to look into the custom keycap community, the've been putting 6mm figures into custom keyboard keys for a while now! (no idea what resin they use though)

https://www.reddit.com/r/keycaps/comments/swsbub/epic_40k_space_marine_keycap/

3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Tolemykus

• Student
Jdiction deep pour. Do not use art resin. It is meant for thin pieces. They don't yellow over time like some do.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
You may want to look into the custom keycap community...

There's a community of people that make their own keyboard keys?  That's an actual thang? Who knew?

Of course there is. Fucking millennials.  I used to think this hobby was weird.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
There's a community of people that make their own keyboard keys?  That's an actual thang? Who knew?...

I certainly didn't!  :D

I've been kind of mesmerizedly scrolling through that subreddit, looking at all the incredibly weird and impractical designs the 'Keycap Community' is coming up with. I've seen some that are just actual injuries waiting to happen lol

The only thing I've taken away from that deep dive as remotely possible to inflict on my own keyboard though, is the labeling of the 'Esc' key as 'Nope' instead. That's pretty funny to me for some reason... ::)