Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:03:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for brush on primer for metal/resin.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Invicta

• Assistant
Suggestions for brush on primer for metal/resin.
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
With winter here it's way too cold to prime outside anymore and I really can't spray prime inside because the smell annoys my wife. I used to take my minis into work and prime them in the warehouse after hours, but the new manage put a stop to that (demon spawn that he is!)

Now I've never used brush on primer so here's where I need some help. I'm looking for a low odor primer that will bond to metal and resin figures/models

I've heard of a product called Gesso which canvas artists use and was wondering if that might be any good.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Malc.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Re: Suggestions for brush on primer for metal/resin.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »
Yeah, Gesso is a good alternative. Like you I live in a cold clime so spray primers are far from ideal much of the year. I've switched to using Gesso exclusively.

It doesn't really smell any more than your normal paints, and it shrinks a lot as it dries so it's good for detail (although that said, I wouldn't glop it on all too thick anyway). One caveat though: You should let it dry for at least 24 hours. It's easy to think it's completely dry 2-3 hours after you've brushed it on, but if you were to start painting it at that point, you might find that it still has a loose, rubbery consistency. Let it dry for 24 hours or longer, and this won't happen.

You should find this stuff in any arts supply store. Liquitex seems to be the most common brand.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Invicta

• Assistant
Re: Suggestions for brush on primer for metal/resin.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Rhoderic, I called into my local art store on the way home last night and bought the smallest bottle they had. I've just primed my Col Marbles and the odor isn't really noticeable at all.

Thanks again,
Malc.