Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:42:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Post-war and modern terrain?  (Read 13923 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Post-war and modern terrain?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 04:10:36 PM »
I make my own. It's quick, cheap and fun.
City:

Ah, this raises fond memories. The previous BLAM I blew up most of these city blocks with my MIB. :)

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
There is also Steve Barber's tenement block

http://www.sbarber-models.clara.net/main.html

He also had a speakeasy, but it isn't listed.

They could be just the ticket. Thanks a lot.
Kitbash Games' web-page: http://www.kitbashgames.co.uk/

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
I contacted Steve Barber today by phone, nice and friendly and very helpful in answering my questions.

The Speakeasy is no longer avilable unfortunately, so he only has the tenements.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for terrain pieces (esepcially prefab) or kits suitable for modern developed cities?

Intact buildings (ie not ruins) suggestions more than welcome.

Basically I am always after more quick 'n' easy terrain for my supers games.

If you're going for supers games then Workworks has a number of sky scrapers too!

I was never a big fan of the printed building but as you'll see from my urban zombie gaming board thread, it does look rather nice once constructed.

Your call obviously

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 04:34:28 PM »
There is also Steve Barber's tenement block

http://www.sbarber-models.clara.net/main.html

He also had a speakeasy, but it isn't listed.

Where???

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:20 PM »
The tenement block is listed under the 25/28mm Prohibition Wars products (at the bottom) for £25.

http://www.sbarber-models.clara.net/html/25mmprohibition.htm

Looks like the Speakeasy, Carluccio's and the Bank are now OOP.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
How big are the tenaments?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 09:32:17 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions for terrain pieces (esepcially prefab) or kits suitable for modern developed cities?

Intact buildings (ie not ruins) suggestions more than welcome.

Basically I am always after more quick 'n' easy terrain for my supers games.

Leon -

This has also been a frustration for me as well. I get a lot of the "why not build it yourself" responses, but like you, I don't have much time for that, so.. I have been looking pretty hard.

Two possible options, well, three...

First, Old Glory makes a range of Gangland buildings for Chicago in the 30s. They aren't perfect for super modern, but they will pass in most modern cities as being older parts of a city. Upgrade them with a few modern amenities, and you're probably good to go.

Second, there is a range of modular modern structures from Armorcast. They also have "modern roof upgrades" to make older buildings look a little more appropriate.

Finally, the Miniature Building Authority has a handful of appropriate modern 28mm buildings. They can be mixed with their other 28mm buildings, and again, they have a "modernization" set that includes a satellite dish and other things to make "earlier period" (ie: ww2 era) buildings look more contemporary.

I know there are other pieces out there, but unless you're looking for urban rubble or terrain, which seems to be "it" as far as most terrain manufacturers go for modern stuff in 28mm, you might not find much else.

-Doc

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
How big are the tenaments?

When I spoke to Steve on the phone a couple of days ago he estimated at about 10", but they look a little less than that to my eye.

Offline leonmallett

• Mastermind
    • Kitbash Games
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 09:36:25 PM »
Leon -

This has also been a frustration for me as well. I get a lot of the "why not build it yourself" responses, but like you, I don't have much time for that, so.. I have been looking pretty hard.

Two possible options, well, three...

First, Old Glory makes a range of Gangland buildings for Chicago in the 30s. They aren't perfect for super modern, but they will pass in most modern cities as being older parts of a city. Upgrade them with a few modern amenities, and you're probably good to go.

Second, there is a range of modular modern structures from Armorcast. They also have "modern roof upgrades" to make older buildings look a little more appropriate.

Finally, the Miniature Building Authority has a handful of appropriate modern 28mm buildings. They can be mixed with their other 28mm buildings, and again, they have a "modernization" set that includes a satellite dish and other things to make "earlier period" (ie: ww2 era) buildings look more contemporary.

I know there are other pieces out there, but unless you're looking for urban rubble or terrain, which seems to be "it" as far as most terrain manufacturers go for modern stuff in 28mm, you might not find much else.

-Doc

Thanks Doc.

I have looked at the Armorcast and Old Glory options - can you offer any personal recommendations on either (detailing, ease of construction etc)?

The minis I will be using will likely be mostly 28 to 32 (or so) mm tall. Older periods is fine, and the Old Glory ones especially look very nice.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 10:06:12 PM »
No problem:)

Honestly, Leon, I think the OG buildings are better, because they are mostly assembled when you buy them, at least in my experience with the few pieces I've managed to acquire so far. Less assembly time=more time for painting in my book. I would recommend washing them in soap and detergent, or at least giving them a scrub with something like "Simple Green", as the resin I've got in the past from Old Glory has tended toward very oily.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't say that Steve Barker's tenement model is also a very nice piece. So's the speakeasy, which I was lucky enough to get in a trade here.

-Doc

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
No problem:)

Honestly, Leon, I think the OG buildings are better, because they are mostly assembled when you buy them, at least in my experience with the few pieces I've managed to acquire so far. Less assembly time=more time for painting in my book. I would recommend washing them in soap and detergent, or at least giving them a scrub with something like "Simple Green", as the resin I've got in the past from Old Glory has tended toward very oily.

Also, I would be remiss if I didn't say that Steve Barker's tenement model is also a very nice piece. So's the speakeasy, which I was lucky enough to get in a trade here.

-Doc

here is a link the oldglory chicago gangster buildings  http://www.oldglory25s.com/index.php?cat_id=809&catname='25mm%20Chicago%20Gangster%20Buildings'

Yeah I have the old glory Russian Fronter fort and it was vary oil. Took me forever to figer that out, but now it looks farly desent.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:22:04 PM by commissarmoody »

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 06:44:44 PM »
I've been on a similar quest for many years - and used many of the the buildings suggested.

Here are my efforts:

Loads more pics here:
http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj278/pez47/Modern/Zombietown/?start=all

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:40:42 PM by uti long smile »
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »
Vary nice town

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 06:44:47 AM »
Is that the C&C city streets pack? How big is the table, looks no bigger than 3*2?