Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:11:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Portable Wargames Tables, anyone know what happened to Tabletop systems?  (Read 3019 times)

Offline gunnermax2

• Assistant
Hi, due to ever present problems that most gamers face, that of space and storage, I was after obtaining a portable fold up table. I bookmarked the tabletopsystems.de site some time back, but now I have the financial resources for one the company and site seemed to have disappeared. I was wondering if anyone on the LAF knows what happened and if thier products are available anywhere? Alternatively Im after a 6 x 4 portable table that folds up. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers

Max

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
Re: Portable Wargames Tables, anyone know what happened to Tabletop systems?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
Max,

if you are in the UK, I used those fold up wallpaper pasting tables for years, most adequate for the job and fairly cheap. Available from the large chain DIY stores for about a fiver. Two of those would give you a reasonable playing area and they are surprisingly sturdy. Just don't lean heavily on them. I had two and they held 4' X 8' worth of terrain tiles comfortably. Just a thought.
They will not force us,
They will stop degrading us,
They will not control us,
We will be victorious!!

Offline gunnermax2

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:28:23 PM »
Trooper I think you may have just saved me a few quid indeed sir! cant believe I didnt think of looking there before. Seen a couple on a diy site that might be perfect, all I think Ill have to do is remove on of the handles so there is no gap between the two tables, as Ill be using felt cloths on top, works out that they will be just under 6x4 so ideall.

One snag though, if I get a wallpaper table if might give my wife a few decorating ideas.....and no-one likes to see that!

Cheers bud.

Offline Trooper

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:46:40 PM »
Glad to hear I might have saved you some dough, sorry about the wife thing though. But surely if she is a true "wargames widow" she must know that nearly all things on this earth with one stated purpose are only there for wargamers to devise new and better uses for. On the subject of handles, the tables I had, only had one handle on, so you could join up the two non handled sides with no problem.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 04:01:18 PM »
Glue your cloth to the table and then they can't be used for decorating................  Simples.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
If you can afford it, go to a decorators shop (a lot of business parks have a Dulux shop, for example), rather than a DIY store.

Paste tables at a DIY store are generally about £5-8 each, with MDF top (whcih may warp over time), wooden legs, and rubbish support - hence the don't lean on comment.

"Decorator's" tables from a paint shop are £25-35 each, BUT have a metal rim, to help prevent the top warping, and have metal legs, with a central support, avoiding your table snapping in two if you accidentally lean on it....

;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 05:08:11 PM »
Motivated by this thread (I have a similar dilemma re supporting pink foam panels) I popped into B&Q Warehouse today to have a look and they had a whole range of pasting tables from a tenner for the traditional with a hardboard top to more expensive versions with ally frames and steel legs (much like Akula just mentioned).

EDIT = here's a linky
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:11:36 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline gunnermax2

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:53:29 PM »
Yeah youre right about anything that might have wargames use being utiliised, when I told her that I needed a load of lollipop sticks she enquired as to why I had suddenly developed a taste for ice lollys, oh dear.

Cheers for the link, Im going to grab 2 from that site as they look sturdy enough and upon closer inspection the handles wont prsent a problem.

jobs a good un!