Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Artizan Renaissance Range arrives...  (Read 7666 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Artizan Renaissance Range arrives...
« on: November 27, 2009, 08:29:50 AM »
Finally, Mike Owen has sculpted some more Renaissance figures  :) :-*

Mike sculpted the popular sea dogs and swashbucklers line for Foundry - cut off in its prime.
He's been threatening to return to the Renaissance ever since he started Artizan, and looks like he's finally taken the plunge. Personally, I think his seadogs and swashbucklers are the best figures he's ever sculpted (although many of the Thrilling Tales figures are also right up there). In fact, as I never tire of telling people, his sea dogs are my favourite 28mm wargames figures anywhere ever. So I'm hoping this venture will lead to a few more late Elizabethan types in due course...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Artizan Renaissance Range arrives...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »
Mike's a very good sculptor, maybe in the same league as the Perrys and Mark Copplestone.

These figures look like they really are superb - but I'd hate to think how much a decent sized pike block would cost in 28mm  :(

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »
They look beautiful, not my thing at all, but mighty fine miniatures. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »
Hurray for Landsknechts! They look absolutely marvellous. All I have to add is simply put in their own words: "Her, her, her!"  :-*

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:05 AM »
Awesome!
Will have to buy them for my ever growing Empire/Landsknecht army lead and plastic pile.  :-*

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 10:05:44 AM »
Looks great!
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »
Very nice however I question the commercial decision on this one - Foundry have an excellent range that seems to fill the position already? Now, if he had concentrated on expanding the Seadogs range.........

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 06:43:21 PM »
I was a bit gutted when I found out they were Lansnechts but I have heard he may venture the range into the Wars fo Religions so dont give up hope Captain :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 08:45:54 PM »
I've been waiting this long. Another year or two for him to work his way to the end of the C16th won't matter  ;)

What gets me is some eejit on the Artizan Yahoo Group bemoaning the fact that Mike is dabbling in Renaissance when he should be concentrating on WWII!

Selfish bastard!
Apart from the new Mutineer C19th figures, he's been doing virtually nothing but C20th subjects - and mainly WWII - for about the last five years, for Crissakes!  >:(

Let the man sculpt Renaissance if he wants to. I love his Thrilling Tales figures, but I'm not a huge fan of his rank and file WWII stuff. I think he's BETTER at the earlier subjects - like the seadogs and swashbucklers.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:12:19 PM »
Agreed. Judging by the photos, the period has really caught his imagination, they look like truly lovely figures, better than anything 20th C he has done with the possible exception of the Arab Revolt.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »
I totally agree with the Sea Dogs range: some terrific models there! I have a few here in need of a paint job!

I hope the Artizan Renaissance range goes that way, at least with some personalities rather than just rank and file troops.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 11:50:29 AM »
I just bought the Regiment deal.  No idea when I'll paint them but, rest assured, they will be bright!   ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 12:15:03 PM »
I just bought the Regiment deal.  No idea when I'll paint them but, rest assured, they will be bright!   ;)

;D

Whilst I have nothing against well sculpted and painted WWII stuff and in the past have quite enjoyed painting the various German camo uniforms, they can't compare with a well sculpted and painted 16th-17thC unit.

Looking forward to seeing some examples from both Orc Trader and the Cap'n  :D

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »

What gets me is some eejit on the Artizan Yahoo Group bemoaning the fact that Mike is dabbling in Renaissance when he should be concentrating on WWII!

Selfish bastard!
Apart from the new Mutineer C19th figures, he's been doing virtually nothing but C20th subjects - and mainly WWII - for about the last five years, for Crissakes!  >:(

Let the man sculpt Renaissance if he wants to. I love his Thrilling Tales figures, but I'm not a huge fan of his rank and file WWII stuff. I think he's BETTER at the earlier subjects - like the seadogs and swashbucklers.

Agreed. After all it's not like the market can do with more paratroops or late war Germans. The WW2 element bemoan anything Mike does if it's not to their tastes that's why I've given up asking for any Old West releases, just seemed a little pointless. I hope that Mike sticks with this range and we get some more of the lovely work akin to the sculpts he'd produced for Foundry.  :)
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:57 PM »
Excellent! We're all agreed - C16th is the future  :D
Enough WW2 already!

;)