Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:42:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Self Introducing  (Read 43646 times)

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
Self Introducing
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 07:35:10 AM »
I'm Stu,
I am from the currently cold city of Christchurch, New Zealand. I've been wargaming for quite some time now and my current interests are Sudan in 20mm, Back of Beyond and Pulp, both in 28mm.  My workbench is buried under a mound of half completed projects but I am making slow headway although the purchase of the 'Aeronef' ruleset has me veering off on (yet) another tangent.  My main project at the moment is trying to make a cityboard in 54mm using the building plans from Matakishis site for a gangster game.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Self Introducing
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 08:05:12 AM »
*chorus* "Hi Stu!"

Offline The Somnambulist

• Scientist
Self Introducing
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 09:57:14 PM »
Hi chaps, long time lurker first time poster. I live in the UK and I'm interested in WWII, alternative WWII, Cthulhu, pulp, pirates and the old west. I'm also interested in movies, books and graphic novels (Hellboy is fantastic). :D
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Self Introducing
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 08:21:19 AM »
Hello!

Welcome to our happy band, You will be amongst friends here with interests like those  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
Self Introducing
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 09:06:41 AM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
*chorus* "Hi Stu!"

Right back atcha!   :mrgreen:

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
Self Introducing
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
Hi all- another long-time visitor (although not a registered member until very recently).
I go by a number of names on a number of forums, but I answer mostly to Immelmann (as per the old Wargames Directory forum), or le Comte du Flandre at TMP, as well as Mainly28s at a few more.
Why Mainly 28s? Well, that's what my main interest in wargaming revolves around- 28mm figures, vehicles and terrain. So much so that I started a comparison/review website at http://mainly28s.com

As for periods I'm interested in? Well, lessee: anything from about 1000AD to about 1250AD (mainly Normans in Italy and the Holy Land, although the odd foray elsewhere is also on the list- places like the new World, for example), and the entire period from the end of WW1 to the end of WW2 with some alternative WW2, Back of Beyond and Pulp thrown in for good measure.

Rules? Anything goes, although the simpler the better as I'm getting to the point where I prefer an enjoyable game to one encumbered by too many tables.

I've also started making a niche for myself in the wargames world- I made the master of the SdKfz 250/Neu for Bolt Action Miniatures and have a few more items in the pipeline. I've also contributed to a few rule sets (BKC, Aetherverse and Battlestandard Ancient Rules, among others).

Current projects? Well, I've also just started construction of a tramp steamer (inspired in part by a thread on this forum), and will be providing a step-by-step as I go on with it.

Anyone wanting to invite me to a game is welcome to do so- I've just moved to near Tunbridge Wells...

Anyway, 'nuff said.

Olaf
Olaf Meys
admin at Mainly28s.com
also known as le Comte du Flandre and Immelmann

http://mainly28s.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Self Introducing
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »
Welcome Mainly. I'd be happy to share thoughts on steamers with you.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Me Too!
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
Hi.
Another long time lurker and gamer here - and only 25 minutes from Tunbridge Wells!
Really my interest these days is a lot more about painting and collecting the many great figures now available, with only a few games a year, all of the 28mm skirmish variety (although often with several players and using up to 200 figures!)
But my days of wargames battles of the old fashioned WRG, DBA, big rulebooks era are well and truly over - too much like hard work, and too little fun.
My painting is pretty good - not quite Kevin Dallimore, or the more august members of this forum  :wink:  but I too used to frequent Bill Brewer's Rye Stamp and Hobby shop as a schoolkid back in the 1970's - and I think it's generally acknowledged that he was the man who set the trend for what is now fairly widely accepted as the 'standard' style of figure painting.

If someone can tell me how to upload pics, I'll pop a couple of images of my figures up to show my style.

I have sizeable collections of North West Frontier British and Pathans (Mainly Foundry), most of the Copplestone Future Wars range,  150 Foundry  pirates (plus a few others - I've just bought all the Black Scorpion newbies, can't wait to paint them!), Redoubt French & Indian Wars, Elizabethan swashbucklers + border reivers (largely based on the superb Mike Owen sea-dog figures for Foundry, but with a lot of other stuff thrown in), and now am working on Bicorne / Renegade English Civil War collection... I also have all the Copplestone cave people ready to paint. Apart from that, I've been quite good. I got rid of most of my loongstanding lead mountain on eBay a few months ago! Now I'm being more selective  :mrgreen:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Self Introducing
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 03:47:14 PM »
Hello Captain Blood, Welcome on board :)
I remember the Bill Brewer days and the Rye Stamp and Hobby shop too! Halcion days :lol:
Sorry can't help on the photo front, but others here will be able to instruct you.

Offline Skwig

• Lurker
Self Introducing
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 05:09:59 PM »
Hi there!

I have been reading this forum for 2 weeks, and i decided to join :wink: . I'm a 24 years old spanish guy and i'm interested in Cthulhu and alternative WW2, oh, and some pulp action too :lol: .

See ya!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Self Introducing
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 05:29:45 PM »
Hi Immelman/Mainly 28s.
Welcome aboard !
Some of this crowd are almost as nuts as the old gang, and I suspect some of them are old hands from the forum too.
(Like us - Gary, Glynis & Alasdair)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Mainly28s

• Scientist
  • Granddad, 28/8/1944
    • The 28mm review site
Self Introducing
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 08:34:18 PM »
LOL- it seems all the old hands at WD still share the same interests.

Well, guys- I may not be the most regular poster, but I'll happily share my insights on 28mm figures- probably enough to bore some of you to tears.

Captain Blood- which side of TW are you? I'm in Crowborough, SW of TW.

Hammershield- it's YOUR fault that I've started doing a steamer- I followed a link from TMP to your thread here. My first attempt will hopefully begin this weekend- I've just got my plans to size and will hopefully begin assembly soon. My steamer's based on the SS Annaghmore (built 1924) and is 896mm long and 146mm wide. I'll probably make a few changes from the original, but she'll reflect the original reasonably well.
Having just watched four episodes of Tales of the Brass Monkey again, I'm well and truly hooked on my pulps again.

Mainly28s

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Self Introducing
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
Quote from: "Mainly28s"
Hammershield- it's YOUR fault

That's what the mass murderer in the other neighbouring block said in court too. I won't be held responsible.

Anyhoo, nice to see such a surge of dedicated leadadventurers.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
Self Introducing
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 03:06:05 AM »
Hi

Another long time lurker here from New Zealand.

My interests mainly are in 6mm and in the last few years a lot of 28mm figures. The club I go to started play LOTOW in 28mm a couple of years ago and I've got a Bandido posse and a Tong gang posse (I hope to upload some pictures soon). I also enjoy making terrain and building and made a Mexican town some of which I can hopefully use for my Ottoman turks.

My main project at the moment is to finish off my Darkest africa figures (Germans and natives) and terrain for TSATF. I also brought about 200 Chinese (Foundry and Old Glory) for the Boxer rebellion but that is a long term project!

I've also got a number of pirates and I'm waiting for the LOTOW pirate rules to come out.

My 6mm interests include "moderns" (post WW2), Napoleonics and a lot of WW2 and Modern Air gaming. My 6mm site is here but some of the photos are old and need updating http://6mm.wargaming.info

Cheers
Kieran

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
Self Introducing
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
Greetings!

Wow is this THE forum!  I am really starting to get into pulp gaming.  I do 28mm Wild West, WW2, Future Wars, Modern Zombie, and Colonial.  Expanding out into Ganster, Pulp Super Hero, Wierd WW2, Victorian Sci-Fi, Horror.  Also do Necromunda, Warmaster, Mordheim, and French and Indian War.  Just relocated to the San Diego area.  Anyone know of any gaming groups here?  You all provide such inspiration... I just love seeing everyones painting and ideas here!  Very much looking forward to getting to know all of you!

-Darkoath-