Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691077
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Brits  (Read 2292 times)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
Peninsular Brits
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:36 AM »
Finally got some Victrix British Napoleonics.  Overall, I'm favourably impressed except for the way they handled the officers for the Flank Companies.  Shouldn't have to carve away the straight sword scabbard to replace it with that of the curved sabre.

What references are people using for British troops of the period? I've got plenty of info on the French, and even the Spanish, but not a lot on Wellington's boys.  I'm not too badly off on the Waterloo period but somewhat lacking on the Peninsular.  Couple of Ospreys, some Blandford, Martin Windrow and Gerry Embleton's book Military Dress of the Peninsular War, a few others...What I'm really looking for is just a simple all-round view of an officer in particular, showing such things as how the sash and swordbelt interact, lapels, sabre scabbard (is it really that long as provided with the figure?), that sort of thing...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Peninsular Brits
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »
Hi Mike,

I've the book "The Road to Corunna" by CS Grant which I bought from Caliver and this has two illustrations of the line and light officer for the British battalion. It explains the sash and how it was tied off. The light for example was worn like a hussar barrel sash and fastened at the front of the waist.

In addition "Uniforms of the Peninsular Wars 1807-1814 by Haythornwaite and Chappell covers all the Belligerents in full colour and some. This is an Arms an Armour publication.

I hope this helps.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Greystreak

• Librarian
  • Old Age + Guile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
The most recent and comprehensive publication, covering British infantry and cavalry of the period is:

C.E. Franklin, British Napoleonic Uniforms:  The First Complete Illustrated Guide to Uniforms, Facings and Lace, Stroud:  The History Press, 2008.  ISBN 978 1 86227 484 6.

Might be slightly challenging to find in 'Trawna', but worth searching out for a 1 volume study.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:07:19 PM by Greystreak »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:29:30 PM »
Helen

I have the Haythornthwaite book but mine is the original 1978 Blandford edition.  There are a couple of useful plates but I still can't really see what I want.  As modelled, the officer's shoulder belt is draped over the sash while most other depictions show it under.  I'm really trying to see how the scabbard slings are fastened to the end of the belt, more for my own edification than modelling purposes.

Greystreak

Ah, you know my town! That book is readily available from Amazon.ca.  It's on my Wish List!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
Helen

I have the Haythornthwaite book but mine is the original 1978 Blandford edition.  There are a couple of useful plates but I still can't really see what I want.  As modelled, the officer's shoulder belt is draped over the sash while most other depictions show it under.  I'm really trying to see how the scabbard slings are fastened to the end of the belt, more for my own edification than modelling purposes.

Greystreak

Ah, you know my town! That book is readily available from Amazon.ca.  It's on my Wish List!

I'm sure under would be correct. They would however usually be under any other  breadbags, waterbottles etc where worn.

I'm pretty sure there's a good pic or several in Windrow and Embleton's book showing this, but mine is in the loft at present  :(  The Blandford Peninsular book shows shoulder belts under sashes this on plate 6b, 8a &b, 11b,16b & 18a and in 37 years of gaming Naps I've never heard any of the usual picky anal comments about it being at all inaccurate, so I'd say go with under the sash.

As the figures are plastic, it should be a quick and easy correction to make  :)

I tend to use those two books, plus the Ospreys and Vol IV of Elting's Napoleonic Uniforms for my British references.