Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 09:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696721
  • Total Topics: 118786
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Peninsular Napoleonic Brits  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Perry Peninsular Napoleonic Brits
« on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:45 PM »
Here you go.....

Thoth help me..... I'm very tempted!!  :D

Darrell.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Re: Perry Peninsular Napoleonic Brits
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:29:04 PM »
Superb, will be tempted.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »
And :

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
There is lots of character in some of those models. I love that some of them look like they are having a conversation with the guy next to them. The sergeant seems to be saying "On you go lad" to the guy next to him, who is responding with "You must be kidding me, there are French over there"

Offline Jabba

• Mad Scientist
    • Jabba's Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:11:50 PM »
May have to aquire some of these if I expand on my in progress British Division.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Much as I love the Perrys and all their works...

Surely...

SURELY...

...enough Napoleonics already!

Don't they already do a gazillion British Napoleonics already, including a plastic set that covers much of the same ground?

Hasn't the market overall reached saturation point several times over?

So many more delightful and less over-served periods they could have been working on ;)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »
But these ones are wearing worn out clothing, so are *obviously* different to the rest ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »

Don't they already do a gazillion British Napoleonics already, including a plastic set that covers much of the same ground?

The new metal Peninsular stuff has got bags more character than the plastic box set, which was one of their first and although not lacking in any manner isn't as great as the newer plastic sets.

I'm not about to start complaining about the Perry's and their production, they are responsible for sculpting a high proportion of my collection.

Darrell.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:53:16 PM »
Well, early British army in gaiters are a relative rarity. The strange Albion Miniatures experiment and Brigade Games  Egyptian range are all I can think of in mainstream 28mm. T=It opens up whole new gaming vistas with some nicely esoteric campaigns. Street fighting in Buenos Aires anyone?

Besides, let's face it Napoleonic rangs sell. Nice as the Carlist Wars range might be, exciting as Second Afghan War plastic figures may be they still have to make a quid and Napoleonics must be a guaranteed income stream.

Jolly nice figures btw.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:27 AM »
Well, early British army in gaiters are a relative rarity. The strange Albion Miniatures experiment and Brigade Games  Egyptian range are all I can think of in mainstream 28mm. T=It opens up whole new gaming vistas with some nicely esoteric campaigns. Street fighting in Buenos Aires anyone?

Sounds great doesn't it?  8) 8) 8)

Besides, let's face it Napoleonic rangs sell. Nice as the Carlist Wars range might be, exciting as Second Afghan War plastic figures may be they still have to make a quid and Napoleonics must be a guaranteed income stream..

I don't know, the Second Afghan War is growing in popularity.... just look at how uncommon it was to see Sudan games before the release of the Perry Sudan range.

Darrell.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 08:45:40 AM »
Much as I'd personally love to see the crusader range stretch to the Third Crusade, I'll not bite the hand that feeds me either  lol

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
Much as I love the Perrys and all their works...

Surely...

SURELY...

...enough Napoleonics already!

Hasn't the market overall reached saturation point several times over?

So many more delightful and less over-served periods they could have been working on ;)

Have to echo the Captain talk about flogging a subject to death. Lovely looking mind. I would like to see them turn their hand to bush rangers, constabulary and maori for 2nd and 3rd wars to go with their BEF

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 10:53:02 AM »
Well, it is often said that Alan and Michael primarily produce the things that interest them, first and foremost, with only one eye on the commercials.

To judge from his output, Alan is clearly a complete Napoleonics nut, and so wants to offer it all in exhaustive detail. So fair enough.
From a commercial point of view, I do just wonder if there can really be that many wargamers left out there in the market for a new British Napoleonic army... But hey - maybe there are. (I think the same thing every time I see yet another new range of WW2 Fallschirmjaeger or Early Imperial Romans, and someone always seems to buy them... )

Carlist Wars, I agree - a very niche, esoteric choice, obviously pursued from a personal interest point of view. I can't believe many people bought into this, but again, maybe I'm wrong.

On the other hand, I expect the two British Colonial infantry plastic sets will be big sellers. 2nd Afghan War may not be the most popular of colonial conflicts for wargamers, but the figures will be useful for quite a bit more than that.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
Painting full of character. The sculpts already tell a story.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:06:19 AM by Driscoles »
, ,

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »
Carlist Wars, I agree - a very niche, esoteric choice, obviously pursued from a personal interest point of view. I can't believe many people bought into this, but again, maybe I'm wrong.

Such a colourful period- I'm intending to start slowly as the author of the book Perry Miniatures is on hand at our club so any info etc I need for scenarios/history is easily forthcoming. He's a really nice chap too :)

On the other hand, I expect the two British Colonial infantry plastic sets will be big sellers. 2nd Afghan War may not be the most popular of colonial conflicts for wargamers, but the figures will be useful for quite a bit more than that.

Interesting.....

What have you in mind Richard?

Darrell.