Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: British soldiers freshly painted ***UPDATE 2011/02/11 ***  (Read 5200 times)

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
British soldiers freshly painted ***UPDATE 2011/02/11 ***
« on: December 16, 2009, 05:45:30 PM »
After finishing my adobe church for my western town and pirate island I painted my first four british soldiers. I tried to imitate the "hollywood style" from several films and did not want to paint them in historically correct uniforms ... I hope you like them. All the figures are Front Rank 18th century.
Sorry for the really really bad photo but there is something wrong with my camera ... some of the colours look very strange and different as in reality ??? and the shading/highlighting of the "Foundry painting style" can not be recognized ... don't know what but it is time for a new one ... christmas is so very near  ;)

(In the background you see the side building of my church from another topic in the Old West part of the forum.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:47:04 AM by hohlinger »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: British soldiers freshly painted
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
Luverley stuff, right down to the designer stuble on one of the troopers chin. They look great ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 06:06:26 PM »
Oh, lovely stuff! My only criticism might be the heavy contrast around the eyes, but that is a matter of taste and perhaps your camera. The shading on the gaiters looks particularly well done.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:19:47 PM »
Yes they look good. So pleased we were able to get your tiling sorted too as it would have really stood out in this shot. ;D

The photo looks like it has been lit with standard light bulbs and not a much cooler looking daylight one.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:22:03 PM »
They look good to me  8)

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Thanks for the nice answers and also the criticism which helps a lot to avoid errors the next time  :D :D :D

Yes they look good. So pleased we were able to get your tiling sorted too as it would have really stood out in this shot. ;D

The photo looks like it has been lit with standard light bulbs and not a much cooler looking daylight one.

I used a daylight which I use while painting but it looks much warmer on the photo  :o ??? ...

Oh, lovely stuff! My only criticism might be the heavy contrast around the eyes, but that is a matter of taste and perhaps your camera. The shading on the gaiters looks particularly well done.

You are right. The shading is a bit heavy but I think due to fighting pirates the whole day (and night) they didn't get much sleep ;) ... no, just a joke. For my next figures I will try a new shading on the flesh areas with four colours and a lighter ground colour ... but the heavy contrast makes the figures look a little more angry (which I used for all my western figs) ... still working on finding the right way ...

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:45:40 AM »
I tried to imitate the "hollywood style" from several films and did not want to paint them in historically correct uniforms ... I hope you like them.

I don't recall if there were infantry regiments in red with white facings (although I'm sure there must have been) but the Royal Marines had white facings up until at least the American War in 1775. I don't think they existed as the Royal Marines in the early 1700s however and individual marine regiments with different facing colours were raised at that time.

So you almost got it wrong and painted a historically accurate uniform by mistake  lol

Either way, they are lovely figures and I certainly like them. They look perfect for chasing Pirates  :)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:01 PM »

Really nice! :-*
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 03:30:28 PM »
Those look really good. Have fun using them in your games. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 05:08:38 AM »
I think they look quite nice too!  Also would love to see more of your scratch built Spanish buildings! :-*

Darkoath

Offline hohlinger

• Bookworm
Re: British soldiers freshly painted ***UPDATE 2011/02/11 ***
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:48:24 AM »
Some new troops to fight the pirates  :D

... and a third one which is a little blurred on both sides ...

I know there are only four new figs around but to bad I got no time last year  :'( ... hope you like them.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:58:29 AM by hohlinger »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »
I like 'Em :)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:10:35 PM »
Very nice painting, congratulations  ;D

I tried to imitate the "hollywood style" from several films and did not want to paint them in historically correct uniforms
I don't see why Hollywood style could not be historical, as far as painting is concerned. Most Hollywood film mistakes are not about uniform colours but are wrong shape of clothing, material, accuracy of period weapons, etc etc.

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
Your officer figure is very close to our group and features in a lot of our games.

These figures are not easy to paint and you have done a fine job - they look very nice indeed.  :)
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/