Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:46:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need help finding an appropriate "hard sci-fi" style Godling.  (Read 9777 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Need help finding an appropriate "hard sci-fi" style Godling.
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:51:28 PM »
Ok, guys, need some input.

As I've mentioned earlier, I am working on a sci-fi campaign for my group using Strange Aeons. The conversion should be pretty straight forward, and I've found a lot of the minis I need, including some possible figs for the main villain... however, what I'm trying to find (without luck, so far) is something appropriately menacing to represent the god, or at least the godling (in Strange Aeons terms), that would be appropriate to a hard sci-fi setting.

I've tried, for example, to find a mechanical squid of large size, but no luck. The godling doesn't necessarily need to be an avatar of the big squid himself, anything will do, but I just haven't been satisfied with what I've found.

What I don't want: Chaos daemons from 40k. I know they are available, but I want something unique, more appropriate to a Lovecraftian setting. I'm also aware that there are plenty of very good godling types from Cthulhu ranges, but I guess I'm looking for something that I can theme to an abandoned mining ship or colony, if that helps.

Maybe some kind of insidious super computer with tentacles exists in toy form? Idunno. But any suggested miniatures/toys or conversions thereof would be greatly appreciated.

-Doc

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Re: Need help finding an appropriate "hard sci-fi" style Godling.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »
If you are looking for super-computer conversion pieces, maybe start with the Copplestone Control room pieces.

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=KKB

You could place the Main computers in the back and the workstations forward. Link them all with suitably slimy tentacles and the players will need to run a gauntlet of mayhem in order to reach the "brain."

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:04:48 PM »
I think I am going to have to build a mechanical Cthulhu monster now - its an inspired idea.

How about this?

http://frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12563&highlight=buddha
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
Well...I converted a Warmachine worm to a techthonian. It had a silly skull face so I carved it out and replaced it with wires from Dragonforge. Would something similar work for you?

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 10:25:30 PM »
Did you consider to try it the Akira way? Take a lot of tiny screws and cogwheels and bits and bobs and some guitar strings to make something like a scrap elemental perhaps?

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »
I propose to have a look at Taban miniatures. Not exactly CoC-esque, but maybe you can make something out of it:
http://shop.taban-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=179

Maybe this one might be better:

http://www.living-fantasy.de/epages/61848674.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61848674/Products/LLF-0005

I has cybernetics, tentacles and a captured victim  ;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:25:47 PM by Hauptgefreiter »
per aspera ad astra

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 11:50:17 PM »
Oh, and big insects are always evil, just like Leng spiders and byakhee.

Grenadier?
Aberrant?
Smart Max (maybe without the Victorian bits)?
Alpha Forge miner bot bits?

Those, possibly merged to a living/demonic brute?

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:52:58 PM »
That is a cool fig!

I would go with a tank filled with an evil (?) Blob (?) kinda like 'Prince Of Darkness'...could telepathically control guys or whatever

...core sample from Delta 6 reacting strangely...some kinda celular movement...Oh My God!!!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:32 AM »
Would it be worth considering picking up a toy or model of Dr Octopus or a Sentinel from the Matrix for the mechanical tentacles?
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »
Did you consider to try it the Akira way? Take a lot of tiny screws and cogwheels and bits and bobs and some guitar strings to make something like a scrap elemental perhaps?

Have you considered using Star Wars miniatures, there are a few quite useful ones in the prepainted sets from Wizards of the Coast.
The "Force Unleashed" set has a Junk Golem
http://nl.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Junk_Golem

and a Knobbly White Spider (but I can't find a picture for that one, it's large and I use one as a proxy for a Starship Troopers alien)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 05:45:42 PM »
Maybe the Heroclix Brainiac figure?

"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

former user

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
try the reaper range

a lot of weird things there

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 03:51:02 PM »
A couple years ago I seem to recall a line of toys called 'war planets' or somthing like that...basically little cybertrons that opened up and shot out stuff...might not look to bad as a floating sphere of metal ect...

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »
Well...I converted a Warmachine worm to a techthonian. It had a silly skull face so I carved it out and replaced it with wires from Dragonforge. Would something similar work for you?

Nice work! How did you get the aged metal effect?

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »
It's pretty much the same recipe I use for all metals - a few iterations with some neutral metallic paint and dull wash.

1) Undercoat black.
2) Dry/overbrush broadly a mix of flat grey and some metal. I use VMC* oily or natural steel, but the choice isn't really crucial.
3) Drybrush lightly with a brighter metal. For example, add silver or metal medium to the previous mix.

The goal is to keep the recesses dark and flat. Don't let metallic flakes fill the bottoms.

4) Wash with a suitable black/brown mix. VMA* burnt umber is a nice universal shade. Many flesh washes have good brown-yellow tones too. Add matt medium if your wash appears shiny. Experiment freely with normal paints, washes, inks, mediums and water. You'll eventually find something suitable.

Then just repeat steps 2-4 a few times, reducing the coverage every time. Use thinner washes and lighter drybrushing. Target the extreme metallic highlights to raised areas only. The key is that only those should shine, while the recesses remain flat and dark.

This is a useful trick for other glossy surfaces too. Even if you want to gloss varnish something, don't let it get to the gaps. It's the contrast between matt shadows and glossy peaks that makes it work.

(* Vallejo Model Colour, Vallejo Model Air)