Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:01:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Greek Geek's Bench  (Read 7790 times)

Offline Greek_Geek

• Schoolboy
Greek Geek's Bench
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Since I work in a lot of projects at the same time (there's a surprise  :D ) I decide to post whatever gets done or is on the way or is just interesting.

Airfix M113 ACAV with Esci and Pegasus US troops. The Pegasus stuff is closer to 1/76 and the Airfix is true 1/76 but I'm pretty relaxed about mixing 1/72 and 1/76 figures and vehicles (3-foot rule is always in effect).

The old Airfix Japanese Command Post. Excellent kit for buildings in the Southeast Asia. I'll be using several of these for a village. I plan to chop the poles off in some or add corrugated sheet roofs on others.

Homemade palm trees and 1/72 Esci (or Italeri or Revell) VC. I base all my terrain on spare CDs. Makes storage and transport that much simpler. Palm trees are spare sprue with 3mm strips of Tamiya tape wound around them. Leaves are thick masking tape (from the local hardware store) with wire frame.

Mercenary pike block for a Holy Roman Empire army I'm building for Warhammer Ancient Battles. All that's left is to spray-paint the movement tray. Figures are MiniArt Swiss Pikemen with a figure with horn from the MiniArt Burgundian Knights and Archers set. MiniArt has a lot of excellent sets for wargaming the age of the knight and longbow. Not as great as Zvezda (who has really spoiled 1/72 figure collectors) but highly serviceable.

Upcoming projects include more squads of US Infantry and VC for 'Nam wargaming (I'll be using the FNG rules) and these two:

This is a very heavily armoured knight by Dark Dream Studio (essentially Orion by another name). Excellent figs with great sculpting and detail.

Zvezda Medieval Wooden Fort. Not one of their best efforts. It will require tons and tons of filling and sanding, but its a useful building as a fort for the Teutonic Order, Germans, Poles or Russians.

Well, that's all for now. As soon as more stuff is ready I'll post them up.

Dimitri

Member of the Few, the Proud, the 20mm crowd...

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Greek Geek's Bench
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:22:36 AM »
Looking good! Quite the range of projects!

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 04:29:36 AM »
Interesting ideas. I especially like your palm trees. Where do you get the Tamiya tape? I have never heard of it. Keep up the great work. Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Hitman
8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Greek_Geek

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:13 AM »
Tamiya tape should be found in any decent modeling store. It's thin and smooth masking tape that comes in a variety of widths (from 6mm to 18mm). You can cut it to very small widths with a sharp scalpel though. Really useful stuff to mask with, or to make seatbelts or weapon straps, or anything for that matter. Doesn't stick to metal well but you can superglue it.

Hope that helped some,

Dimitri

Offline Greek_Geek

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:01:43 PM »
After the holidays (and a chance to spend as much time as possible with Jr. and the mrs.) I got back to my old (and some new projects.
The Holy Roman Empire Army is coming along nicely. I completed 4 knights and another 4 should be ready by the end of next week, work allowing. I should have made the plumes more colourful, but personally I like them all white.

I also did some more work on terrain. One of the main terrain pieces I want to have is a village. I can use it for WHAB, Napoleonic skirmishes, Song of Blades and Heroes, and Blitzkrieg Commander (in Eastern Europe). I plan to have several houses (at least 4), several fields, a well, and some farm animals. Depending on the scenario, I'll later add a bridge, river sections and a pond. This way I can mix and match and adjust the number and location of buildings to the scenario. The first building is a Mini-Art Eastern European House. It's an easy model to build, with the only difficulty being the vac-form roof. The amount of detail is good and with a bit of effort it can be turned into a wattle and daub house.

The second building is a Pegasus Hobbies Russian House. The box comes with 2 houses, one made of planks, one made of logs. I completed the planked one and the other one will be done sometime soon. It can be used for 25mm figures as well, whereas the Mini Art one cannot be.

Finally I got some some more minis ( not much surprise there I guess). Orion Boxers, Red Box Civilian Volunteers (for pulp games), Caesar Modern US Army (for near future) and these guys:

They are 25mm aliens from GZG and I plan to use them in a near future game eventually. Although they are 25mm, they match very well with the Caesar US infantryman. Eventually I'll get some PA aliens as well, since they look good and paint easily (I went with the Imperial Stormtrooper scheme as a joke, but I kind of like it now).

That's all for now.

Dimitri