Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:08:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690919
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Colonial/VSF crossover  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Colonial/VSF crossover
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:25:43 PM »
For those (surely very few) people who are interested in 19th century gaming but don't frequent the VSF section, a totally sensible honestly late Victorian campaign is afoot.

Any colonial gamers wishing to send their armies (with the correct number of buttons obviously) to foil the dastardly plots of the wily Prussians/perfidious English/beastly French or whoever else in the lost continent of Atlantis, should wander over to this thread here and register their factions.

Even though other people may be playing silly games with flying things and dinosaurs and other such frivolous whatnot, there's still scope for perfectly sensible games of late-19th century military re-enactment... in a different setting. If this appeals, then hurry over there right now!

Thank you very much chaps, do carry on.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Colonial/VSF crossover
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 04:21:17 PM »
So a 'straight' but counter-factual late Victorian setting - imaginary Prussian vs British actions, but sans riveted, steam-powered contraptions and bat-winged flying thingies?

Now that sounds eminently sensible  ;)

Has anyone done VSF Zulus yet?  :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:34:41 PM »
If one wants to, one can play a perfectly 'straight' game of Britsh v French, circa 1890, in a scrubland setting (let's say, in the Sudan or something) that never actually happened, but could have.

One could also play exactly the same game, but instead of calling it 'in the Sudan or something', one could call it 'in south-western Atlantis or something'.

If the idea is that the imperial powers of the day are scrambling for Atlantis in the same way they scrambled for Africa, then I figure that many colonial wargamers may be up for that; after all, the basis for any imperialist expansion comes down to infantry, cavalry and ships. Even in VSF, the walkers, flyers, robots, brass monkeys and whatnot are the icing on the cake. The cake itself is still blokes with rifles and moustaches, and the Dear Old Queen, Gawd Bless 'er.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:08:50 PM »

It has been bought up before on another forum with one or two suggested VSF/Lost World type units. For the life of me though I cannot remember which forum it was discussed on  :(

It was probably this one... ::)
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:01:15 AM »

They are high in my list of "to do's" but will probably not appear for several years  :(

Renegade anti-British mad professor joins them, who then discovers massive gold mine, develops steam-powered bull elephants, devises a way to control lions for use as "guard dogs", geneticlly modifies zebras for use as cavalry mounts etc etc  :D

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 03:22:08 PM »
They are high in my list of "to do's" but will probably not appear for several years  :(

Renegade anti-British mad professor joins them, who then discovers massive gold mine, develops steam-powered bull elephants, devises a way to control lions for use as "guard dogs", geneticlly modifies zebras for use as cavalry mounts etc etc  :D

That has incredible possibilities!  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »
That has incredible possibilities!  :)

I saw a similar thread on steam-powered elephants somewhere in the LAF and a local games shop (Waylands Forge) used to have a display of some fantasy natives on horses converted to zebras and that sort of combined with the Guinness and Jack Daniels over Christmas to give a few vague ideas  ;)