Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:47:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690897
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Zulus from FOUNDRY, i.e Natal, Swazi  (Read 3541 times)

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
New Zulus from FOUNDRY, i.e Natal, Swazi
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »
Just received the info from Foundry.
New figures out:
http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/DA/023/index.asp

argsilverson

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: New Zulus from FOUNDRY, i.e Natal, Swazi
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:32 PM »
More nice stuff. I wonder if Blood will be tempted to get some more?

Nice to see the Swazi, but I was under the impression that Swazi shields were/are more round rather than being identical to Zulu ones.

I have one which is round. Of course, they may well have changed over the last 130 years. And to be fair, the only period illustration I have seen of them has them the same shape as Zulu ones - really need a period photo. Oldest one I have is from the 1930s...

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »
The Swazi, were they British allies in the Zulu wars?

Nice to see the Swazi, but I was under the impression that Swazi shields were/are more round rather than being identical to Zulu ones.

I have one which is round. Of course, they may well have changed over the last 130 years. And to be fair, the only period illustration I have seen of them has them the same shape as Zulu ones - really need a period photo. Oldest one I have is from the 1930s...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 01:12:15 PM »
Evelyn Wood's column had a unit called "Wood's Irregulars" which consisted of friendly Zulus and some Swazis. The Swazi people and the Zulus weren't traditionally the best of mates, and I think they were in it for fun and plunder.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

The Swazi people and the Zulus weren't traditionally the best of mates, and I think they were in it for fun and plunder.

That's nice. Friends are so important at a certain age. Which would be the Colonial Age in this case.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
I must admit, I'm liking the look of those Natal Native Horsemen with their saddle-holsters full of javelins, and the native Pioneers look useful for a lot of things too...

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:20:23 PM »
Wasn't the Moriarity disaster the work of Mzilblini (sp?) the ex Zulu turned Swazi raider and his crew of Zulus, Swazis and renagdes?

Yes, Wood had Swazis and Zulus, in various states of cooperaration and purpose.  He lost many of them at Hlobane, including Hama's group, which was sizeable.
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 05:22:12 PM »

Nah. I only wanted a few - will probably stop at around 25 - 30. A perfectly formed little skirmish collection  :)

The other thing is that all the various Zulus released so far are essentially the same handful of figures / poses, just with interminable variations of added finery. I do realise, of course, that's what all miniature manufacturers do - re-using the same dollies to create multiple variants, but I do start to feel this particular line from Foundry - much as I like them - is now pushing this to a fairly comical limit.

The other thing I've noticed in the few packs I bought, is that where there has been any major deviation from the original Copplestone DA dollies, the quality of sculpting in things like arms and hands is not too clever.

So given that the Natal Native Horse look to be entirely new creations (don't think Copplestone did any African cavalry for DA did he?) it will be interesting to see what the figure quality is like... They look alright from a distance, but... 
::)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »

The other thing I've noticed in the few packs I bought, is that where there has been any major deviation from the original Copplestone DA dollies, the quality of sculpting in things like arms and hands is not too clever.

So given that the Natal Native Horse look to be entirely new creations (don't think Copplestone did any African cavalry for DA did he?) it will be interesting to see what the figure quality is like... They look alright from a distance, but... 
::)

I believe the British and new figures such as the NNH are the work of Rob Baker (ex First Corps)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
Love the pioneers!  :o  They could be usefull for my african expedition, digging fortifications, latrines, yes, the military stuff!  ;D

But the prices are so high!! That such a pity  :'(

Greets,

http://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
Is it just me, or do the new Swazi and NNC releases look rather stiff?

Could it be just a case f trying to add new layers to the existing figures, so that they look like swaddled tots ready to go play in the snow?

Those NNC fellers in the blue coat looks like they're wearing  well-stuffed parkas rather than shell jackets...

Allen
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:46:18 PM by aecurtis »
What fresh hell is this?