Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: UNIT, now with added Timelords and Heavy Weapon Daleks  (Read 18601 times)

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: UNIT, now with added Timelords and Heavy Weapon Daleks
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
I am tempted by Crossfire as well.  I am at the stage where I would love one set of skirmish rules for everything.  But....I'm a little scared of multiple figures on one base.  ???  I'm too programmed for individual basing. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
I am tempted by Crossfire as well.  I am at the stage where I would love one set of skirmish rules for everything.  But....I'm a little scared of multiple figures on one base.  ???  I'm too programmed for individual basing. 

That's the major quibble I have. Great if Crossfire is the only system you ever use, but very awkward for more conventional skirmish games.

I'm contemplating using single figures, with magnets under their bases and put them on temporary round steel bases for Crossfire. May be very time consuming and expensive though  :?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2010, 06:41:47 PM »
You don't need to multibase if you don't want to.

Crossfire are not skirmish rules, they are company level rules and a base of figures represents a squad. If you want single figure rules then there are several to choose from.
If you want to play with the crossfire rules there is nothing stopping you standing a few single figures in a group and calling them a base or using individual figures and allocating the squad dice to them, the scale of the game relative to the playing pieces will not change.

I prefer multibasing as it protects the figures and makes everything easier to move.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 06:48:59 PM by matakishi »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »

Crossfire are not skirmish rules, they are company level rules and a base of figures represents a squad. If you want single figure rules then there are several to choose from.
If you want to play with the crossfire rules there is nothing stopping you standing a few single figures in a group and calling them a base or using individual figures and allocating the squad dice to them, the scale of the game relative to the playing pieces will not change.

I prefer multibasing as it protects the figures and makes everything easier to move.

Fair points! I probably shouldn't have said that they are skirmish rules, rather low-level tactical or somesuch. I'm concentrating on painting 15mm French for a multi-corps level game at the moment, so anything less is automatically viewed as "skirmish"  ::)

Anyway it's true multi-figure bases are better for protection and speed of play, but I probably will just use them as you suggest - unless I become completely enamoured with them and decide to do the whole thing properly ;)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
fenris do those squad bases which would let you double up...

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
fenris do those squad bases which would let you double up...

Litko do some aswell, here.  I have been using them to multi-base zombies to serve as "hordes".

It should work for Crossfire too, from what little I kmow of how it plays.

Anyway, I prefer the more varied layout of the Litko bases to the Fenris ones (that I have seen at least).  The Fenris ones look a lot like GW epic bases for 28mm figures to me: a little too regimented.

Back on topic, I love the heavy weapon Dalek.  I know little about Doctor Who to be honest, but I have an idea that I have seen that Dalek design before.  It has that low budget, "we need to make a design from what we have available regardless of how it fits with the existing stuff" look that I associate with 70s and 80s TV sci-fi.

Is it from a specific episode/series/movie?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2010, 12:45:47 PM »
It's not actually a Dalek, it's a robot gun pillbox from Rogue Trooper.
Actual heavy weapon Daleks were really stupid looking :D

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2010, 03:36:19 PM »
... the Micro Universe plastic Daleks are an almost perfect match for size - if you  can ever find any  ...

It's a long shot, but anyone near the Post Office in Reepham, Norfolk, they have some MicroUniverse blisters on sale for £2.49 for three figures. Not brilliant but a lot better than the £6 or so that they are in other places.

They may be on sale in other local Post Offices - if you  can ever find any  ...  ::)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »

Duh, that makes sense.  I thought that Commander Vypers earlier comment was just a whimsical observation, rather than a direct ID.

Im not a big Doctor Who fan but I have been into Rogue Trooper since I was a kid.  No wonder it was familiar, I even blew up a few hundred of them last year while playing the video game  ;D

Is it an old GW miniature? Or is it from somewhere else?  I knew that GW made some Rogue stuff back in the 80s but I didnt think that they had made more than a couple of Rogues, a Traitor General and a handful more.  I had no idea that they made pillboxes.

Now I want some.  Call a piece of lead "Dalek" and I can take or leave it.  Slap "Nort" on the same piece and I will obsess about ebaying three of them.  Sad isnt it?

Thanks for the Who-niverse clarification :)

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 05:32:11 PM »

Is that the "driver's" face you can see under the lid?  :o lol

Early Who at it's most loveable  :D

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
Is that the "driver's" face you can see under the lid?  :o lol

Early Who at it's most loveable  :D

nah, it's a reflection in the glass... that was a great design as well... the Abomination!*

*the radiation from the gun caused the Dalek mutant to mutate, again and again, to the point that it wasn't technically a Dalek anymore and the other Daleks looked down on it...

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 06:39:30 PM »
What AEG said!

Seemingly Daleks have an obsession with form, so anything that doesn't look like their shape gets treated with suspicion or hatred (er, except for the Emperor probably. And maybe Davros). Hence the name 'The Abomination' for the Heavy Weapons Dalek - as used in the novelisation of that particular story.

And yep - that's reflective cowling. It's probably the photographer - perhaps it's HWD designer Mike Tucker?

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
nah, it's a reflection in the glass...

Somehow I'm both pleased and disappointed to learn that  ;)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 07:58:25 PM »

ah you may just have solved my issues regarding crossfire as I'm not a fan of multi-based models.