Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Heads. For sale anywhere?  (Read 4942 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Zombie Heads. For sale anywhere?
« on: January 13, 2010, 07:36:23 PM »

Recently a lot of manufacturers have released a variety of ranges of miniature heads for various genres.  Off the top of my head I know that Pig Iron, Ramshackle and Hasslefree all sell heads of some form or another in metal or resin.  Presumably there are more suppliers doing the same.

I have yet to come across a range of separate zombie heads.  Does anyone know if there are any available anywhere?

Personally I would love to be able to buy a few sprues of male and female zombie heads with the usual range of eyes/lips/scalp/etc missing.  I think that they would be very handy for quickly making zombie versions of figures that are only available in an un-zombified state (99.99% of figures in other words). 

I also have a few other sub-projects that could do with a zombie head or two.  I just dont really want to have to either cut the heads off existing miniatures or buy a box of plastic zombies simply for the heads.

So does anyone know if anybody supplies them? 

If there is a demand for turbaned VSF head with a bionic eye then surely there is a demand for common or garden zombie heads?

Does anyone else think so?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Zombie Heads. For sale anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
Zombie heads on a sprue - Westwind SOTR range.  They also do gasmask heads wearing berets.

If you buy Brigades Games' WW2 Zeds (the exSpyglass ones, they normally come with 2 heads - one with german head gear, and a spare "bald" head that comes in useful for other projects.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »
Zombie heads on a sprue - Westwind SOTR range.  They also do gasmask heads wearing berets.

Thanks!  Westwind "SHS-SOTR06 Zombie Heads" sound like what I am after.  Irritatingly, there isnt a picture on the site though.

Does anyone have a photo of the heads?  Does anyone know how many are supplied in a £3.50 pack?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
havn't seen the heads but all the other head-packs states that you get 20 heads per pack - so my guess is that this is also what you get in the zed-head pack

regards
Thomas

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:11 AM »
Yeah, same number as in other packs.

No pictures of my own set, sorry, but a word of advice -West Wind do some lovely stuff, but their casting and quality control is very slapdash at times. Of the 20 heads you get, expect about 3 or 4 to be featureless lumps. Often one side of the head will be completely blank while the other is fine.

This may not be a problem for Zombies, you can always turn it into rot or battle damage with a dollop of gore, but bear it in mind if you get any of the others.

The ones that arrive in useable order are really nice though, so don't let me put you off.  :)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:45:53 AM »
havn't seen the heads but all the other head-packs states that you get 20 heads per pack - so my guess is that this is also what you get in the zed-head pack

Yeah, same number as in other packs.

No pictures of my own set, sorry, but a word of advice -West Wind do some lovely stuff, but their casting and quality control is very slapdash at times. Of the 20 heads you get, expect about 3 or 4 to be featureless lumps. Often one side of the head will be completely blank while the other is fine.

This may not be a problem for Zombies, you can always turn it into rot or battle damage with a dollop of gore, but bear it in mind if you get any of the others.

The ones that arrive in useable order are really nice though, so don't let me put you off.  :)

Thanks, thats good to know.  Did you ever get back on to West Wind about the dodgy casts?  Surely they would replce them without too much trouble.

One last question: are the West Wind heads in the region of 25mm or 28mm... or possibly even 30mm?  Its not a deal breaker but I would like to know if they are huge.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
3D Miniatures do some zombie heads.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
One last question: are the West Wind heads in the region of 25mm or 28mm... or possibly even 30mm?  Its not a deal breaker but I would like to know if they are huge.

28mm-30mm - large 28mm, but not overly so.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 12:06:04 PM »
Did you ever get back on to West Wind about the dodgy casts?  Surely they would replce them without too much trouble.

I didn't, because like I said, they were for zombies so a bit extra damage wasn't that much of a problem. I have however heard of other people exchanging things with no problem, apparently they are on the "good guys" list. 

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 12:08:29 PM »
3D Miniatures do some zombie heads.

Those arent bad, although I would have liked a couple with hair :)

http://www.3d-miniatures.com/content/zombie-heads

It says that they are to scale with GW plastics which is fine for my needs.  8 for €3.95 versus 20 for £3.50 (both plus shipping to Europe) isnt a good comparison cost wise however.

Thanks for all of the info and help guys :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
I didn't, because like I said, they were for zombies so a bit extra damage wasn't that much of a problem. I have however heard of other people exchanging things with no problem, apparently they are on the "good guys" list. 

Indeed they are:

Have to say that never had any issues with the zed heads, and the one or two figures (a sort american with BAR and a road kill survivor with a club) that have slipped through the quality control net have been promptly replaced by the lovely Wendy so can't fault them there.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline dexter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »
hi
I've had several packs of the zombie heads ,bought over as period of time ,the latest was September09 ,there wasnt a problem with any of them .
If you want to see what the zombie heads look like  then look at the pics for their zombie germans A and B and the horde pack as they use the same heads.
The  German heads are in a 28mm heroic scale so fit in with EM4 Copplestone etc  however the Soviet zombie heads are true 28mm so look a lot smaller in comparrison to the German ones
hope this helps
Dex

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:29:07 PM »
hope this helps

It certainly does, thanks :)

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 02:33:27 AM »
I have to agree with the Commander, the customer service from Westwind is among the best. Even across the pond, Wendy and Andy have gone above and beyond to sort any problems even at their own cost. In fact I'm working out my next order right now.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline Darkoath

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »
Enigma also released seperate head packs for the new zombie horde they have for sale.

Darkoath