Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:15:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690982
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: what paints do you all use?  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: what paints do you all use?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 08:39:43 PM »
What I really use...I'd guess it's roughly 30% VMC, 20% Foundry, 20% CdA, 15% P3, 10% Gamecraft, 5% Citadel. In transparents/inks/washes it's mostly VMC, VMA, W&N and CdA.

All those brands are just fine. Wherever there's a good tone or combination, I'll use it. If it doesn't cover, just add some VMC white to the first layer and shade down from there. A couple of good washes and additives will do wonders too.

Reaper master series might be worth trying. Unfortunately paint is one of those things I usually add to other orders, and none of my favourite stores carry RMS. Let's see if I can grab a bottle or two somewhere. (Their "pro paints" weren't any good, though.)

Keep experimenting. I haven't found any magic range which would do everything. In acrylics, you can happily mix all the good bits from here and there.

Offline elysium64

• Potatoe Cup Holder 2010
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 02:28:43 AM »
I primarily use Foundry, with Games Workshop for Metallics, for Wargames standard painting the three paint system is a godsend although one has to be wary, as a few of the colours are a little harsh in their contrast between light and shade(nothing a midtone wash cant sort out).

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 09:02:24 AM »
I use a a lot of different brands.

Vallejo Game Colour for the bright colours. They are handier than GW.
Vallejo Model Colour for muted colours like camouflage and uniforms and the like. The drawback with these is that many people complain about their limited shelf life.
Vallejo Air for washes.
Vallejo alcohol based metallics. These are the best.

Andrea Colours for whites and blacks. These are very, very good quality.

Reaper Pro Paint and Master Class. Especially for skin. The strange thing with these is that the medium will eventually (more than a year) turn foul and mouldy in the pots. They have changed the formula now so it is possible this problem is taken care of.

Iron Wind Enterprises. These are hard to come by in Europe which is a pity since they make some very nice skin tones and a few others saturated colour formulas which I like a lot.

Humbrol Acrylics. I have a few pots still which are close to 15 years old and they are still usable. Comparatively coarse pigment.

GW for reds and yellows. I find that few other companies can match these. Also GW is easy to come by.

Winsor and Newton. The inks are top notch. I also have a few tubes of artists acrylics which I mainly use for painting large areas liek landscape and such.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 02:30:58 AM »
I was thinking about breaking into Foundry, what is the must have triads?

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 08:01:59 AM »
W&N, Rembrandt and Pebeo oil paint over Holts grey primer. Seems I'm the only old fashioned one here......
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 08:18:41 AM »

Joey

For a start I would recommend Black(34), White(33), Flesh(5) and maybe Rawhide(11). The latter is very good if you want to paint fur and nowadays I also use it for most of my "hair jobs".

Beside Foundry I also use Vallejo and some GW.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:44 AM »
W&N, Rembrandt and Pebeo oil paint over Holts grey primer. Seems I'm the only old fashioned one here......

I used to do oils but can no longer be bothered waiting for it to dry. Creates lovely finishes though.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
GW as they are easy to obtain and often available cheap at car boots, I like their new thicker paints.  I use Vallejo for the WWII colours and my collection is growing.......
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 08:46:34 AM »

The browns are super!

Spearshaft Triad
Dusky Flesh Triad
Sand Triad

In that order.

The Bay Brown Triad is excellent for horses.

The French Gun Olive Green is another super Triad.

The Moss Triad for khaki is a must.

Lots of others but normally one of the three sometimes is a wee bit out of whack.

Personally am very happy with the Foundry Triad system. 

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
90% Foundry
8% Vallejo
1% Plaka
1% GW

Offline Grekwood

• Librarian
    • Grekwoods Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »
i'd say i use about...
40%GW,
40%foundry paints,
10%halfords car spray paints,
9%Coat d arms,
1% other... eg humbrol, tamiya
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:01:43 PM by Grekwood »

Offline Luthaaren Von Tegale

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
I use GW for most things with a bit of W&N acrylics and Dulux custom mixed from the local DIY superstore for scenics.

They seem to work well for me, I've tried Tamiya, Humbrol and Coat d'Arms acrylics but I just couldn't make them work for me and the latter took three weeks to arrive mail order.

vT

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:45 PM »

Joey

Speaking as someone who has a ton of Vallejos I would say that the white and bay brown Foundry triads are must-haves. I did try the flesh and it was OK, but in the end preferred to stick with my VGC beastial brown, VMC beige red, VMC elf flesh combo.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
Reaper, Vallejo and a few left over GW's that haven't dried up yet. Increasingly buying Reaper, loving the triads. Coat D'arms I enjoy as well, but hard to come by over here. Would love to try foundry but  haven't even seen it in person yet.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »
I have a ton paint, but for some reason I'd like more?  I use mostly GW since I'm used to the paint, but I mix in some Reaper Triads and the occassional specific Vallejo (English Uniform, Dark/Iraqui Sand, etc.).   I also have one Foundry Triad, Slate Grey I think, that I'm rather liking.  I also love the Reaper triads, but I have some where the quality just sucks.  Their camo triad is just plain sludge that no amount of mixing will cure and some other colors are so dang runny.  Of course I bought most of these a couple of years ago, so maybe the fixed the problem.

I normally paint from the bottle due to laziness, but I'm trying to be a better painter, that's why I like dropper bottles.  I lose so much paint transfer from an open lid bottle to the palette with a brush.

Joey