Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:43:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Confederate Expeditionary Force to Atlantis  (Read 7287 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Confederate Expeditionary Force to Atlantis
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:52:35 AM »
Following on from joining the battle for Atlantis, I thought I'd post up some pics of my exisitng Confederate force (and any new additions) during their most recent attempts at halting Yankee agression.

The force was actually put together first for a 'general' 1880's VSF army a few years ago, then I started tailoring it more towards the late 1870's & a '2nd American War', where the Federals try to make up for their previous defeat. (By the time Atlantis reappears, there has probably been a 3rd American War.) So many wars in such a short period has left the Confederates ragged, poor supplied, and not terribly modernised. But they are certainly experianced! (More fluff & general background in the Atlantis sticky).

Most of the figures were painted up quickly to a 'gaming' standard, and the pictures arent the greatest. They will all be based nicely at some point, although I'm not entirely sure when! I know I'm mixing figures from a broad period - parts of the joys of having such a ragged force. The 'current' uniform is SAW style 'shirt order' withmore modern webbing, but most troops are wearing a mish-mash of older kit. Kepis are theoretically still part of the modern uniform, although they are still not favoured as actual battlefield headgear. Private purchase equipment is very commonly seen.
On the weaponry front, various forms of bolt actions have been issued, including a large supply of captured Unionist Krag-Johnsons (As well as some purhcased French Chassepot rifles), but the most commonly encountered weapons are breech-loading Snider-Enfield cartridge conversions. Shotguns, heavy 'Anti-contraption' rifles and various other non-issue weapons are also frequently encountered.   

My most Ragged unit - they are only grouped together here as they were the most recently painted additions... In an actual gameforce, they'd be spread out through other units to increase the overall lack of uniformity.

The 'Southern Belle' armoured steam carriage. A fairly antiquated design, the Richmond-class carriage has been found to be robust and reliable.

The bulk of the expeditionary force's infnatry. A large number have cavalry style equipment - the Confederacy managed to launch several massive aeronef supply raids during the early days of the 2nd American war, and on of these raids yielded hundreds of tons of Northern cavalry accutrements. These were then issued en-masse to the confederate infantry when supplies began to run low. The odd vestiges of CSA cavalry uniform probably come from battlefield looting. The profusion of standards is something of an anomalie in this force - thought perhaps to be down to the need for accurate identification from Confederate artillery spotting-nefs. 

As with previous wars, the confederates use indians from their possessions as scouts...

The CSA Aeronef Marine Corps is perhaps the most uniform force in the Confederate army. Principly used in a shock fucntion, the marines use small, unarmed aeronefs to manuever into position close to enemy contraptions, before roping down and assualting the vehicle with satchel charges.

Due to a lack for fore-thought a unit of cavaly have been shipped to Atlantis, but their horses were not.... As such, they curentlyfight as infantry but it is hoped this may be remedied in the coming weeks.

Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Confederate Expeditionary Force to Atlantis
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:00:07 PM »
You might be interested in looking at boer figures to mix into your confederates. They have the same rag-tag look & have more modern weapons.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:06:14 PM »
A nice sizeable force, any thoughts on the opposition yet?

Boers and Boothills Texians would both fit nicely.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 12:13:04 PM »
The opposition will eventually be Unionists, but for the campaign I'll be taking on the Prussians (Unionist allies I'm guessing ;) )

I've actually got the Boothill Texians, as well as an assortment of foundry mountain men & bushwackers/jayhawkers, that will make up a sizeable group of irregular 'fillibusters' in game.
Boers are on my list, as are some more SAW figures (possibly the Tiger minis ones)

There are also a couple of other contraptions, but they are still in my display cases at the parents house ...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
Wonderful idea and very nice subtle changes to uniforms. I 've had some fun trying to identify all the different figures you have pulled together for the various units. :)

Now debating whether to ally my Brits to the Conderacy or Buulshotts Yankee boys ::)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:26:06 PM »
Thanks Nick - It was one of those ideas that slowly evolved. I'd always had a soft spot for the confederates, and when it came to building a force for GASLIGHT they were something a bit different to the usual British/Prussians/Etc. I've seen a couple of ACW era VSF CSA forces, but I hadn't really seen any 'post-war' forces - and thats how it really started. Add in a Deadlands phase about half way through, and it really just polished off some of the ideas.

The figure diveristy came from buying anything on eBay that fitted the period :) Off the top of my head, there are OG Span-Am war figures; Dixon's Plains Wars infantry; Foundry Plains Wars infantry, dismounted cavlary & irregulars; Tiger Marines & Cubans masquerading as confederates; Perry dismounted cavalry & command; 1st corps dismounted cavalry and a Renegade gun team. There are also a couple of 'odd' figures thrown in - a HLBS dino hunter, Copplestone Big Game hunter & a Redoubt Boer  - as Anti-contraption gunners.

And when it comes to alliances, have no fear - it won't effect my Boothill purchase rate! lol

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 03:41:49 PM »
I love this army! Fantastic job.  :-*

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 05:29:27 PM »
Fantastic, I like the concept as well.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 05:43:22 PM »
Thanks chaps!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:04:05 PM »
Indeed a very fine force!

I really like the Aeronef Marine Corps unit.    :-*

Generally folks don't seem to like Tiger Minis but those seem rather good.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »
@ v_lazy_dragon - Thats a nice sized force you have there - plenty of targets  lol

I like the idea of Indian scouts. I might have to add some to my cavalry when I get round to them. Nice to see the HLBS dino hunter in another force too (I have figures from the the same pack in my FSF explorers/armed civilians armed with a 'leviathn gun' (similar concept to your anti-contraption rifle).
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
There are many, many more tragets coming Bullshott - have no fear of that! Afterall, I can't have the damned Yankees & their nefarious allies running out of things to shoot at now, can I?  lol Some indian scouts would look grand in your force - the Foundry Delawares would probably be my choice (especially as they do some mounted versions) 

@Ray Rivers - I must admitt, I quite like the Tiger Miniatures Americans & Cubans. To the point that I'll be getting some more infantry in the 'modern' uniform from their range. (I picked up a couple of packs of their Herros/Hotentots, and they were truly terrible - mind you, they were also dirt cheap, so I don't complain!)

Offline Amalric

• Mastermind
  • I have a bad feeling about this...
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 10:33:35 PM »
Excellent force you have there.
I especially like the steam carriage!

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Tom

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 11:05:03 PM »
Nice looking group.

Thanks for sharing  :)
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
And when it comes to alliances, have no fear - it won't effect my Boothill purchase rate! lol

:D