Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:52:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
Looking for suggestions
« on: February 27, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »
Hi guys, in my other thread I was debating whether to take up painting again, I have decided I shall give it a go, I had a few questions though I was hoping some people here could help me make some decisions:

...I'm thinking I will grab the Coat D'Arms starter set and a can of Halfords primer but I'm not really sure if I should supplement with any other single colours from the Coat D'Arms range.
Anyone have any recommendations?

...not sure whether to bother with inks/washes yet or maybe just get a select few?

...Also I had heard good things about the em4 brushes but I'm not really sure what sizes to get to start with.

Can anyone help suggest some ideas on these issues?

Thanks in advance.

- Paul

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
Paul, mate,

Might help if you can give folks an idea of what you will be painting.  Darkest Africa, Pulp, WWII...

Offline Spong

• Bookworm
  • We can't stop here...
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »
Fair point, initially I was going to go for some fantasy stuff, probably dwarves. Was thinking fairly subdued blue, grey and brown colour scheme.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:37:19 PM »
Sounds good. Just give it a go.  :)

No good dipping your toes in, you have to make confident strides into it.  ;)

If you bugger it all up, don't worry, just keep trying!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 10:45:21 AM »
Okay, I'll give it a go.

Nothing wrong with Coat D'Arms paints and the starter set seems a good place to, er.. start.  From what you posted you might think also about the Goblin Set.  Also remember you can use basic acrylic hobby paints which come in very large bottles very cheaply and I think you will find that most folks around here have tried and used them.  Paint is one of your basic tools and eventually you will probably end up with hordes of bottles.  I have at least 100+ bottles of paint.

As for brushes, I don't have any experience with em4, so I can't comment.  I buy my brushes from the Evil Empire (GW).  In general, however, the first thing you need is a really good point on a brush for detailing.  Finding one, however, is not always easy.  Many times I will buy say 3 fine detailing brushes from GW in hopes that one will have a nice point.  Once you have a nice detailing brush, use it sparingly, only when you really have to... a really nice pointed brush is worth its weight in gold, so don't over use it.  Besides a nicely pointed brush you should have a larger brush for block painting your base color.  I also recommend a flat dry brush and a very large, soft brush for "cleaning" your mini's prior to applying your varnish.

Overall, though, Rob's advice is right on.  Painting is a skill and practice is what it is all about.  Dive in, practice, practice, practice, don't be discouraged with your early results and try different techniques.  Eventually you will find your own way of painting and then you will really be off.

Good luck!