Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:06:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697733
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for first game  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
Suggestions for first game
« on: September 08, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »
We're playing our first game on Thursday. I'll be providing both warbands, so I'm interested in getting some suggestions for which wizard types to use and which spells they should have. I'd obviously like a pairing of wizards (and spells) that will give a fun and reasonably balanced game.
I'd rather avoid any out of game spells, and it will be a one-off game, rather than the start of a campaign.  
I've got quite a selection of wizards to choose from, and I think in the first game I'll probably use a human warband against a ratmen warband.
We won't be using wandering monsters in our first game.

After a quick read through of the spells I was thinking Elementalist vs Thaumaturge. How does that sound ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:59:53 PM by Polkovnik »

Offline Morray

• Bookworm
  • I'm a Snow Troll...Boo!
Re: Suggestions for first game
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:57:59 PM »
Interesting question, like a starter set for Frostgrave basics? I've not played yet but I've read the book front to back a few times.

You could go with polar opposites, a Summoner/Necromancer/Witch Against Elementalist? One is a summon & support ish the other a blow your face off kind of guy, then gauge who would prefer what play style.

Then had an odd number of treasure chests on the table, 2 close ot each deployment then one centre stage.

Maybe something like that...

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions but I think I want to avoid using a Summoner in the first game, as that requires using extra figures other than the two warbands, and I want to keep thing simple at first. I really want the two Wizards to both have very direct, easy to use, spells - attack spells, movement spells, spells that boost friendly figures or hinder enemy figures. 

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 01:39:58 PM »
Don't use random encounters and don't use the critical hit, they are for later. Supply the wizard but let your opponent pick out the spells. Make sure he/she knows that high casting values are not very smart to start with, because he/she might be as tactically challenged as me and pick all the wrong ones.

Other than that, part of the fun for anyone, experienced gamer or not, is tailoring the spells to what you like, so I would definitely allow your opponent to do that him/herself. I also think that by doing so, the player will get a fairly good indication of what the game is about.

As for what type of wizards... if you have plenty of stuff lying around, why not give that choice to your opponent as well? Simply give a real quick and dirty description of what they all are, and let him/her base the decision on that description.

Offline Helznicht

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 01:41:49 PM »
For a first game, just make 1 warband with the spells you suggest and double it (both play same warband mix)  and Just call them wizard for now, save spellcaster types till later.