Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:19:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690899
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Remember this? Anyone game it?  (Read 5006 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Remember this? Anyone game it?
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:43 AM »
My favorite TV show when I was but a chil'.

Easy to scratchbuild the stuff, maybve I should do some nostalgia gaming?

Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Remember this? Anyone game it?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:20:20 AM »
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=13668.0

Check out the second page of the discussion for Matakishi's UFO creations.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:33:51 AM »
Oh wow!  Thanks!

And with underwear pics of Lt. Ellis!  A bit thin, perhaps, but I'd do things withe her that would make this forum vomit, that is for sure!

:D

Now I remember why I like the show so much! 

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:29:25 AM »
BTW I bought the boxed set afterall and have finished watching it. I painted three Foundry figures in Silver as a tibute to the series.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
hmm I have those foundry mini's, but I painted the pigtails girl as Harley Quinn from Arkham Asylum, the other two will look nice in silver though!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Oh god, Nick Drake, poster child for musical revisionism. The sort of 'artiste' everyone cites as an influence 20-30 years afterwards, particularly those who were born sometime after his death and couldn't possibly have been one of the handful of people that actually bought one his records. I have more than a sneaking suspicion that if the sainted Mr Drake were still with us, he would resemble this character from the League of Gentleman:

lol
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
It isn't entirely accurate, Carlos. Every 10 years or so there's a Nick Drake revival, I think the first one was only about 5 years after he died, I certainly remember him being touted as a great 'lost talent' in the '80s.

And there really are bands and musicians that have a minimal impact at the time, but are hugely influential later. The Velvet Underground are merely the most oft-quoted example of that. "They only sold 10,000 copies of that first album, but everyone who bought one started a band."

Ditto people like the Stooges and MC5 (I mention these people and the VU because they're more my thing than Nick Drake to be honest, but I think the theory is sound), really influential on later generations though most people at the time were pretty much uninterested. I only discovered how much the Stooges had influenced everyone I was listening to in the '80s much later - listening to the early albums I'd think 'that's Bauhaus, that's The Sisters, that's the Psychedelic Furs...'

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
No offence intended. Horses for courses. Personally I've always though Nick Drake's music was crap but of course that's a matter of taste.

Yes, there are bands that have a disproportionate influence. I'm not sure the Velvets are a great example as their influence was actually pretty immediate even if their record sales weren't stellar. Jonathan Richman was ripping them within the space of scant few years and that's just one example. That said, and I'm sure my fellow LAFers are not guilty of this but I do get sick and tired of pundits and musos seeking instant cred citing folk like Nick Drake or Tim 'I' had little discernible talent but I died young' Buckley. It's a sort of fun elitism that establishes your credentials.

Many years ago I was in Perth, Australia and I wandered into some god awful theme pub (almost all pubs in Perth are dire). I was faintly amused that they were playing the Triffids, one of those bands whose influence outweighed their contemporary popularity. Amused because the band despairedd of, and soon fled Perth because they couldn't find an audience base. Fifteen years later it was cool to play the local boys n girls made good.

BTW the Psychadelic Furs really should be the theme for the Railway Wars section of this forum
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:47:33 PM by carlos marighela »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »
Never saw them live but a mates' brother was really into them. As she was an exceptionally cool girl ( unlike her brother) and I was momentarily smitten, I got turned on to the band.  Property is Condemmed brings back really strong memories of the times.

Last year I was fortuante enough see the Laughing Clowns play a band that I never saw first time round but have always adored. Absolutely amazing, although I discovered that the thing I had for Louise Eliot their amazing saxophonist has dimmed with the years. :'(

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
I've just been rewatching all of these.  My wife put them in our movie rental queue and I have been thoroughly enjoying them.  I wish the shado mobiles on ebay weren't so expensive.  Unfortunately those maychbox subs that Matakishi used are also a bit rare.  As are the Konami UFOs.  :'(
This is my boomstick!

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 04:47:13 PM »
Ah yes the Amazing Futuristic Year 1980!   When everyone walked around in silver jumpsuits and string vests.  I remember it well.  o_o

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
:o

Someone else who has heard of (and likes) the Psychedelic Furs! Now you're talking.

Sisters of Mercy.....more of a mixed bag. Some killer, some filler.

I saw the P Furs my freshman year of high school! 

Dan, great painting.  I would cherish those purple haired beauties, like I cherish my Hasslefree Suzie and Ashley Zombie hunters!   :)

:)

Ah yes the Amazing Futuristic Year 1980!   When everyone walked around in silver jumpsuits and string vests.  I remember it well.  o_o

Actually, I sp;ent the summer of 1980 in Key West, and that is exactly how they dressed   :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:59:56 PM by Smokeyrone »

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:33:14 AM »
Hey , thanks . I have three Pfurs CD's in my collection. I think I gave my LPs to my sister though.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 01:06:54 AM »
Of course, there was a fine line between good ol' fashioned "new wave" sounds, and a little something that ruined music from then on.

A little something called "MTV"    >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Look at the rabble the P Furs turned into in just six months of MTV!

DISCO!   >:(

The Specials, one of the greatest bands of all time, caught the MTV bug as well, and were never heard from again!

>:(

Bollocks!  That's what I have to say about that!