Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old Mexico Scratchbuilds  (Read 5257 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Old Mexico Scratchbuilds
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:47 AM »
Just a few, kinda test cases for my new 15mm world.

First up, Rufugio Rojas' Tacqueria:

(I am not finished with the base, which includes a walled in patio, with tables and chairs, courtesy of a pack of VERY out of scale,      for   HO :), model train patio furntiture, I picked up for 25 cents at a sale, that are perfect for 15mm!)

The Tecate beer sign on the right building front, looks better in real life, bad photo.  I used my sanding and watering method to transfer it to the building.  Looks great.  Really.   ;)

That guy here, who does the great and numerous haciendas?  (UPDATE:  Malamute!  That's the guy!)Well, I thought I'd try to copy his "style" sort of, to run it up the flagpole and see if it hunts.   I think I did alright on my first try.  Captured the spirit of his work, what do you think? (yeah, I am doing a base, with other buildings, fences, walls, and sheds (areas where he Malamute really shines), I just wanted to test this style first)

The clay stains on the building, I will most likely "wash" in to be smooth, like the genius who I am copying.  Now, they are merely pastels, and my "quick color change" building finish allows me to remove it, wash it in, or leave it at my whim (old 1/35 armor modelling trick: weathering with pastels  ;))

That grey thing on the roof?  That is an old  prototype gravestone in 28mm, that was lying in my plaster box, so I used it with sticky putty for a temporary roof handle, it will be replaced by a chimney or something less ugly and more realistic  ;)

Now this is what I consider "my style".  Don't know if it's good or bad or average, but it's what I do when I do things how I see them.  Just two buildings, maybe stores? 

Thanks, y'all.  Hope you enjoyed them

;)

Smokey E. Rone, and the "E" stands for "El Jibarito"   :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:51:15 PM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
Re: Old Mexico Scratchbuilds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:49:37 AM »
Those are damn cool!

WHich 15's are you using? I'm thinking of getting some 15mm.co.uk ones for me and my girlfriend.  :?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:18:52 AM »
I like 'em.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline RUSHCAL

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:23 PM »
Very nice, i like them a lot :o :o :o :o :o

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:02:29 PM »
Very nice! I especially like the paneled door on the 2nd building down. Did you use granny grate for that?

Luckyjoe

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 04:09:06 PM »
Very nice! I especially like the paneled door on the 2nd building down. Did you use granny grate for that?

Luckyjoe

yes, you guessed it.  It looks more wrought iron when I add rust and weathering, but I think it all rubbed off when i positioned it for photos (note to self:  Spray dulcoat!  ;)  )  If painted wood colors, it looks decorative carving/inlay style.   I just can't scratchbuild intricate doors in that scale the real waylike a Rushcal and such do with 28mm (Time vs results ratio) so granny mesh is my new, BFF.   :D

Notice that Christian's "Blue Door" (I think he invented that) makes an appearance?

Thanks, guys, a 'well done" means a lot from folks here.   ;)

Rob Alderman:  Hi.  Well, I orderd a bunch of figures from them, but not their Old West.  I am using so far,  QRF/Freicorps/LKM (that neat UK company,   all sorts of Mexican troops, Old West, and everything else in 15mm.)  I figure they have maybe 150+ minis that are perfect for Mexico/Old West

Check these guys out, VERY impressed so far:

http://quickreactionforce.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/22_183_317
Also ordering GFI, but I hear tell (LOL!  My Southern get's get's worse when I talk of Old West gaming!  That's murphy (Gutshot guru) rubbing off on me) minifigs are true 15mms????  All of my minis for Colonial and Old West so far are 17-18mm tall, so I don't know if Minifgs will look good?  (Tell me if you know)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:22:43 PM by Smokeyrone »

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
I have some Minifigs and Peter Pig. They are 15mm from base to eyes. I just got some new Blue Moon 15mm. They're more like 18mm base to eyes.

Luckyjoe

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:21 AM »
I have some Minifigs and Peter Pig. They are 15mm from base to eyes. I just got some new Blue Moon 15mm. They're more like 18mm base to eyes.

Luckyjoe

Whoa!  Those blue moon figs are fantastic!  Wow!  I love them.  Am ordering a bunch as well (maybe a bit taller, but not enought to notice)

Thanks!!!!

Offline Luckyjoe

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
"Whoa!  Those blue moon figs are fantastic!  Wow!  I love them.  Am ordering a bunch as well (maybe a bit taller, but not enought to notice)

Thanks!!!!"

Glad to help. Wait til you see 'em in real life. I got the Personalities pack. http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=15OW-102

They're outstanding. 5 lawmen, 5 masked bandits, 5 bandidos and a bunch of others (25 in all for $15). There's even a mounted "One-Eyed Fat Man"  :D So far I've got him and the 5 bandidos painted.

Luckyjoe

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 01:50:25 PM »
"Whoa!  Those blue moon figs are fantastic!  Wow!  I love them.  Am ordering a bunch as well (maybe a bit taller, but not enought to notice)

Thanks!!!!"

Glad to help. Wait til you see 'em in real life. I got the Personalities pack. http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=15OW-102

They're outstanding. 5 lawmen, 5 masked bandits, 5 bandidos and a bunch of others (25 in all for $15). There's even a mounted "One-Eyed Fat Man"  :D So far I've got him and the 5 bandidos painted.

Luckyjoe

Damn Blue Moon got me again!  No way I can justify NOT buying those sets!  That saloon set?  just great!  yeah, the personalities pack is my first on the list, and townsfolk, and mounted gunmen, and gunmen.   :)

I will have an extra spring in my step this weekend when I porder these! 

Now, if The Canes beat VT in ACC QF action, it will be the best weekend ever! 

How'd I miss Blue Moon coming out with 15's, anyway?  Andf Pirates too!  And that saloon!

former user

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:57 PM »
very nice and well done

always astonishing to see what people are able to do in 15mm

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »
very nice and well done

always astonishing to see what people are able to do in 15mm

you know, it does take some getting used to (building in 15mm, when you are used to 20 and 28mm).  I build a lot in 6mm and 10mm too, but this is harder, I think.

remember, lots of folks do incredable detail with N scale railroading terrain, so 15 is doable.

Scale is a problem, I build everything in "large" 1/108 scale, and I think that works for small and large 15mm figures.

Everything has been pure scratchbuild so far, but a combo of HO and 1/100 architect supplies (like styrene brick sheets, window and door frames) will make life much easier, so I am hitting a store that supllies said this weekend.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words,  ;)

former user

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:15:21 PM »
I always admire the small scales
I used to do GW epic scale and also 1/72 WWII long ago, but my eyes are not fit enough for acceptable results in the long term

I do understand though that the price and material effort are a big plus

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:31:55 PM »
Uh oh, I'm a year older than you.  I'll probably just finish this project when my eyesight goes bad, and I'll have to switch back to 28mm.   >:(

Nah, the guy at the hobby store is like 90, and if he can continue making N scale stuff, I will have to just stick this out.
 :D

To me, it's really a matter of finding detail items for 15mm.

Not really funny, but our local economy is so bad, I know plenty of engineers and architects out of business, so maybe they can help out with my terrain?   :?