Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dark Young  (Read 7132 times)

Offline Prof. Dietrich Hes

• Librarian
Dark Young
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:27:07 PM »
Here is a Dark Young I started working on.  I did some rough in with drybrushing to try out a different color scheme than the usual dark scheme.  while putting hiim together, which took a lot of green stuff, I decided to add a few bits here and there as well.

close up of the added tenticles

I'm not sure if I like him all that much, but I do like how he blends in with the local landscape.  

I do like the contrast between the long and short tentacles.  They are just a few shades off, and just enough to distinguish them from each other.

I have a real problem with the mouth so I am definately going to change those colors. I'll probably paint hte inside of the mouth a black-purple and then work out in lighter shades.  but I think the colors stand out too much right now.

any thoughts?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Dark Young
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »
That's pretty, Steve :D Great model and good color choice for the skin. But purple doesn't work. Really, too bright. Try it with a mix of brown/drab and purple (not too much purple!)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Dark Young
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 09:44:04 PM »
here a good use of purple

found at "Small Obsessions" - http://games.necrosys.com/

• Librarian
Dark Young
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 10:25:51 PM »
thanks for the pic Prof.,  that will help alot. as soon as I put on the purple my first hought was  I made him look like he was wearing lipstick.  It looks better in person than in the photo, but it still doesnt look good.

I do like this model ,and with spreading out the tentacles that were cast in it further apart, it does give a nice look to it. aslo adding in the few extrsa bits makes him stand out a bit.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Dark Young
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:38:56 PM »
hy I like your painting .It is diferent but good .
Rock on
Grimm :mrgreen:
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

• Librarian
Dark Young
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 03:00:59 AM »
Ok, paint job take 2......

I darkened the body and actually mixed my own paint for the lips.  this should work a bit better I think.

Front view:

Side View:

Better...??

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Dark Young
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 03:04:45 AM »
To be honest, I think this looks like a giant weird potato!  :lol:
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

• Librarian
Dark Young
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 03:16:30 AM »
the model or the paint job?

if the paint job what would you suggest?

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Dark Young
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 03:24:12 AM »
The model. And the paint job fits very well to it.
Maybe highlight the hooves more or get them more structure. And make the smaller sprouts... I mean tentacles, a bit brighter. At the moment it's too much potato-coloured.

• Librarian
Dark Young
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 03:42:47 AM »
WFG,
  you have some F**ked up looking potatoes in Germany!!!!   :lol:

I'll take a good look at your suggestion.  I like the contrast right now, so if I can figure out a way to give him the look I want with a slightly different scheme I will.

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Dark Young
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 06:42:26 AM »
These potatoes are not from Northern Germany  :)
The model doesnt look finnished yet. I would highlight it a bit more on the tentacles. The small details must also be worked out with highlights I think. The hooves are also not finnished yet. Paint them in an ivory colour, than do a wash on it and before the surface is dry go over the hooves again with Ivory to get age on trhe hooves. Hope you know what I mean.... Maybe brown is not a suitable colour for the skin, I would use more green instead. The inside of the mouth needs also more colour. This model is very difficult to paint. But so far I do like it. Iam curious how it looks when its finnished !
Greetings
Björn
, ,

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Dark Young
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 07:35:06 AM »
Steve, it looks better than the first pic, the purple is good now, but how Driscloes said, the whole model doesnt look finished. You need more highlights on the body and tentacles

• Librarian
Dark Young
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 02:15:20 PM »
thanks for the feedback.  

Perhaps if I highlight the body in a lighter green/brown color that will help.  I did highlight the body, but  I guess it wasnt enough.  I painted the main body in a very dark brown and then highlighter in "English uniform" from Vallejo, which did create a greenish tint to the figure.  but like I said, it wasnt enough. or maybe I need to use more layers with the highlights.  I will try somehting.  

Perhaps I will repaint the tentacles in a darker color, and then highlight in the color they are now.  that was I still get the contrast, but they will look more "finished".

I'll try painting the inside of the mouth with some sort of red scheme that will also make the purple stand out.

Bjorn, I am not familiar with your washing the hooves technique, but I do have a few horses I can try it on.  do you have a link to any pictures of horses that were done this way?

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Dark Young
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 03:48:54 PM »

Hi,

look at the Elephant teeth at the part were they have been cut off. Try to get an aging effect. It needs some practice

Or here is a painting from Witchhunter. Iam not sure if he used a wash but maybe he used different kind of browns til the last highlight in Ivory to get his effect. Look at the beasts claws and horns on the head and you know what I mean. Click the link.

http://www.witchhunter.net/gallery_norsemen_war_maiden_riding_beast.html

• Librarian
Dark Young
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »
thanks for the pics.  that will help