Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Back of Beyond Cold Wars board  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Back of Beyond Cold Wars board
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
Back from Cold Wars. I have some images to post (but that will most likely be later today), but here is one for now.

A shot of my Back of Beyond board before the figures are set up. I think I am going to paint the white border black to make it look a little nicer.

There are two wooded areas on either side and an open pass up the middle leading to the town. The Russians had to reach the town and take the tower in order to win. The early loss of their armored car and HMG put them at a disadvantage, but it really came down to the wire and the Chinese Warlord force was able to maintain their hold on the  town and break the Russian attack.

Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Back of Beyond Cold Wars board
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »

Nice terrain. Did the canvas mat suffer any damage during the transport and/or the games? How sturdy it turn out to be?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
What you see there is untouched from transport and the previous night's game. No damage, it rolled up nicely (I kept both the plastic bag it came in and the tube it was rolled on).

I could not be happier with how it worked. And for the .45 Adventure game I ran last on it, I simply rolled up all the unneeded portion and left just a 2x2 exposed (well really 2x4, but you get the idea).

I am tempted to paint the reverse side as another terrain area, but have not decided what yet.

Offline ushistoryprof

• Mad Scientist
    • World Historyprof-History Real & Imagined through Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 03:23:41 AM »
Very nice, what type of paints did you use on the canvas? I was thinking of trying something like this but was worried about the paint cracking and flaking when I rolled it and unrolled it for transfer and storage.   

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 05:38:09 PM »
I used simple acrylic craft paints. As long as you don't run them too thick, they should not crack.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
I agree with the previous posts, your canvas covering really worked out well. I've seen people use cotton sheets before, but the canvas might be more durable.

Rob