Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 08:23:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Terminator Salvation - Cold Wars  (Read 3796 times)

Offline lostpict

• Assistant
Terminator Salvation - Cold Wars
« on: April 06, 2010, 02:03:43 AM »
I recently ran a game at Spring Fever in Raleigh, NC using the Warriors of the Wastelands rules (aka the Skank game) focused on Terminators in Alaska:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9975128@N05/sets/72157623451476269/show/

Jimmy

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Terminator Salvation - Cold Wars
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:57:28 AM »
who won the fight?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:25:46 PM »
Nice use of skank games rules
Thanks for share

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:20:53 PM »
Love those snowmobilers!  Where are they from?

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
What rules you used for the flying hunter killer?
In Skank game there are no rules for flying vehicles and would like to know how you behave

Thanks

Offline lostpict

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:08:18 PM »
The game turned out a draw.  The snowmobiles came on from the west, mushers from the east, rangers from the south, and scavengers (resistance) from the north.  They encountered an Aerostat that was patrolling the area.  The Aerostat signalled for support and took out the one of the Ranger's Humvees.  A sniper dropped the Aerostat.  Next turn  terminators rumbled until the board from the east and more aerostats showed up.  A free for all ensued with many dead humans on the snow.  The rangers did manage to get their tanker to the oil pump and get it filled up, but the crew were killed before it could escape.  By the end of the game, one snowmobiler made off with a barrel of oil, the musher were done in by grenades from an aerostat, and the scavengers limped away.  Since some humans lived and secured some oil, it was not a complete loss by the Humans.  The Terminators lost a lot of assets (in rebuild at present) and scorched their oil facility by accident (bad scatter roll).  Lots of fun.

The Snowmobiles are Matchbox "Snowride" vehicles with converted WOTC "Dark Helion Swoop Riders" for crew.  The sleds were kitbashed with Copplestone dogs.  The Mushers and Scavengers are from Copplestone.  The rangers from EM-4.  Termies were mix of EM-4, Copplestone, and Reaper.  Aerostats from RAFM.

Rule stuff:

Aerostats  - Rating: 1 Max Move: 80” Acc/Dec: 15”/15” Turn: In Place (two pivots per turn). Opportunity fire ensued for all along the flight path.  Assumed advanced avionics gave a -2 on the to hit roll from a Repeating Grenade Lancher (2 shots per turn).

Jimmy

Offline The Rock

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:56:37 AM »
The tanker and the hummer, where they come from?

Offline ogryn

• Librarian
  • Mercpancake
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
Holy Crap...... Were did you get the hunter killers and the big robot things??
I need some of these for the project i am starting.

Offline Mo

• Mad Scientist
    • Oddman Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 12:28:23 AM »
I hate I missed the con this year. That looks like it was a lot of fun.

Marc
Fantastic Worlds: Pulp Action in the Far Reaches of Space
http://oddmanproductions.com

Offline lostpict

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
The Humvees are some knock-off 1/43rd brand from Walmart and the Tank Truck is by that French Die cast company - can't remember the name.  I had bought it for a Terrorist in Africa game, but it was suborned to the North Slope.

The Harvestor Robot, the H-K flyers, and the tracked T-1s are all from Playmate and can be found at discount bins near you at present (Toys-R-Us).  The Harvestor is way cool and in scale with 28mm minis! 

The game was a hoot.  So much fun, that we did Terminators in Tijuana that night using my desert terrain.  That game featured 3 sets of humans - an San Diego SWAT team fleeing the termies in the US, a chop-shop/gun-runner gang, and some drug lords.  These folks gathered together to try to hold off a horde of Terminators looking for Mexian Zebras ;-).  Same generic results - Skynet terminated a pile of humans, but some still escaped.

Jimmy

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:16:37 AM »
Looks like a great game sorry I missed it.

Rob

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:02:33 AM »
Very cool. The Terminator future war is just itching for gaming IMO. Has been more or less since T2.

One nitpick though: as a San Diego native I have to point out that absolutely no one in San Diego would have survived J-day. SD is a military town, and home to multiple big military targets (The Naval harbour, Miramar air base, Camp Pendleton, etc.). If the bombs ever flew in earnest, we'd get nuked hard.

SD and TJ are separated by just a fence, so TJ wouldn't be any better off. In fact I'd guess that pretty much everything from Orange County to Rosarita to Anza Borego would be screwed, and no one (well, no human) would be able to set foot near TJ for the radiation.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:10:46 AM by Connectamabob »
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline lostpict

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 12:34:59 AM »
no one in San Diego would have survived J-day

I definitely agree that most of SJ would be smoked and should have said that these were SJ SWAT guys were out a training mission away from the target areas and headed south away from ground-zero.   I also figured that TJ bought it, but the setting was a bit further south in one of the villages south of there.

It does make me wonder what happens with big bombs and mountains.  The Navy has a bunch of stuff on both sides of the ridges at Point Loma .  I wonder if they have to be independently targeted to avoid terrain effects?  No doubt the bases would be gone, Coronado and the Seals, etc.   It would be a shame   :(, this Sailor has spent many a lovely afternoon at the Sub Base sipping beers and watching the sunset.

OBTW, in the Terminator Salvation Prequel books, there is a story about some USMC lads that were near the border and crossed south on J-day.

jimmy
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:57:29 AM by lostpict »