Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:27:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Warlord Chronicles and The Age of Arthur  (Read 16006 times)

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
The Warlord Chronicles and The Age of Arthur
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:32:00 AM »

I'm a total King Arthur junkie be it Dark Ages, Merlin, Excalibur, etc. Anything shy of the Kniggits in Shining Armour, and I'm in!

I got hooked by the Salute06 Arthur v. Mordred vignette:
http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/2984/
bought myself a Gripping Beast army, and never looked back!

Please have a look around!
http://displacedminiatures.com/LeadAsbestos2010/gallery/2985/

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
Re: The Warlord Chronicles and The Age of Arthur
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »
Lovely stuff, puts my dark ages/ late roman armies to shame. I gamed it a bit several years back using WHA and fall of the west, never got round to getting the later Arthur book. It was the Osprey book on Arthur and the paintings by McBride in it that pushed me into historical/mythic gaming, that and the Winter King.

Have you checked out Song of Arthur and Merlin?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
I haven't, but I'm tempted. Any good? The WAB leaves me a little  :-I to be honest! Tried out a few skirmish scenarios w the Warband rules, and those were closer to what I want.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:22:51 AM »
Very nice indeed!

Think I mentioned that I'd been reading Rosemary Sutcliffe a while back and these fellas look they've jumped straight out of one of her books!

The Roman/Dark Ages stuff is great like Eagle of the Ninth as is her take on the Arthur legend - Sword at Sunset being particularly good - keep on mentioning Arthurian goodness and I might be tempted at this rate to pay Gripping Beast a visit myself and gather a Host together for Artur the Bear!

If Songs of Arthur and Merlin is as good as Blades and Heroes it'll be definitely worth a look...

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:41:39 AM »
I got in a bundle from wargames vault so have read it but not played though I have played SOBH a bit.

It looks good, options for larger warbands then SOBH but still probably smaller than your above unit. It also gives options for high medieval/Hollywood Arthur, not much use for these guys, as well as historic and mythic dark ages Arthur so very appropriate.

May convince me to dust the old units off. Its cheap but you do need SOBH to play it, still very good may even get you playing because games are quick.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:47 PM »
Very nice painting  :)
I used to have all those Gripping Beast Arthurian figures, but I sold 'em...
Wish I hadn't now...  :'(

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:43:59 PM »
Very nice indeed!

Think I mentioned that I'd been reading Rosemary Sutcliffe a while back and these fellas look they've jumped straight out of one of her books!

The Roman/Dark Ages stuff is great like Eagle of the Ninth as is her take on the Arthur legend - Sword at Sunset being particularly good - keep on mentioning Arthurian goodness and I might be tempted at this rate to pay Gripping Beast a visit myself and gather a Host together for Artur the Bear!

If Songs of Arthur and Merlin is as good as Blades and Heroes it'll be definitely worth a look...

Soon to eb a film of Eagle of the Ninth hoping it is good.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:55:09 PM »
Excellent news... I hope!

Story is great so no danger there as long as they don't Hollywoodize it!

Back on topic-ish - there must be some good scenarios to be developed from Sutcliffe's books?

Roman officer decides to remain in Britain as the legions withdraw, gradually gathers a circle of warriors around him to fight off the barbarian threat to keep the remnants of civilisation from falling into darkness...  >:D

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »
Eagle of the Ninth is directed by the same chap who did Last King of Scotland, so it ought to be good.  Unfortunately, there is a swords and sandals fantasy movie called Centurion also on offer, with almost the same premise (legion marches north and is wiped out by barbarians) - this one looks to be drek.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:17:59 PM »
Very nice looking stuff and I happen to be a big fan of WAB as well,and this looks to be what your army is based for. 8) 8)

After Cornwell's Arthur series,McBrides artwork,WAB supplement,Andy's army and some great mini's from GB and Musketeer have all been influencing me into building one myself! lol 8) 8)

Cheers
Christopher
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:34:01 PM by Axebreaker »

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 05:23:57 PM »
... there must be some good scenarios to be developed from Sutcliffe's books?

Roman officer decides to remain in Britain as the legions withdraw, gradually gathers a circle of warriors around him to fight off the barbarian threat to keep the remnants of civilisation from falling into darkness...  >:D

"What is 'The Lantern Bearers'?"

My favourite.

Pity the whole premise of 'Eagle of the 9th' is completely wrong, but it is a great story.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Your warband looks great. Crisp, clean brush strokes, nicely mounted, nice variety of figures. Looks like you enjoyed painting them. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Online anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
Unfortunately, there is a swords and sandals fantasy movie called Centurion also on offer, with almost the same premise (legion marches north and is wiped out by barbarians) - this one looks to be drek.

it's by Neil Marshall - director of Dog Soldiers, Descent and Doomsday (actually now I think about that, he should of called this one Decurion)... they may not all be art, but they have some great moments at least... and a lot of gaming inspiration, so I hold out that Centurion will be enjoyable enough as long as you leave the history book at the door...

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:15:23 PM »
Nice unit!! Very well painted!! As a few folk on here may know, I am probably THE Arthurian nut to end them all when it comes to 'historical' Arthur gaming!! Check out my blog archive for pics of my Romano-British and Welsh (plus various Germanic allies) for WAB. It's the one period where I really 'go to town' with my painting to get the best I can out of every single model, including lots of subtle conversions...

WAB really is a great system for Age of Arthur, as it has that semi-skirmish game feel with individual figures and saving throws...I know that some folk can't stand it, but for me it's perfect for this and the supplement and scenarios therein are marvellous!!

Oh, and any of Rosemary Sutcliff's Arthurian books are all worth a read and can be plundered for scenario ideas!

Please post more pics as your army grows - I can never get enough of seeing other peoples' Age of Arthur armies!!!

Cheers
Andy

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
They are lovely.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin