Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Figure compatability  (Read 4083 times)

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
Figure compatability
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »
Well,
I've held off for long enough. Really enjoyed reading the posts here. I now want to go VSF! Just a couple of questions.
How well do the BTD Zulu war Brits go with things like the Copplestone sailors and Renegade Early war Germans? I've got quite a bit of the Renegade stuff but nothing British.
Also, the old RAFM Space 1889 stuff?How does that compare size wise with the ranges I've mentioned?
Just ordered a 4 legged walker and some  martians from Ironclad miniatures so looking forward to those arriving.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:07:38 PM by General M@yhem »

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: Figure compatability
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »
I'm afraid I cant answer your question as I dont have any BTD figs in my lead mountain range but thought I'd welcome you aboard my good man. Looking forward to seeing your collection grow.

Don't!

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »
Where are your current figures from? Both Copplestone and Renegade?
Black Tree's British are very big - slightly bigger than Copplestone's. They're also not that great. I'd advise looking around for some nicer figures. They're 1870's, too, and thus won't fit with Copplestone's historically*.

*Yes, I know; "It's VSF, you don't need to worry about history". I'm afraid I don't buy this argument. If you ignore the history, then it isn't Victorian Science Fiction, is it? It's just boring old Steampunk.
I told you so. You damned fools.
 - H.G. Wells

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:30:04 PM »
Where are your current figures from? Both Copplestone and Renegade?
Black Tree's British are very big - slightly bigger than Copplestone's. They're also not that great. I'd advise looking around for some nicer figures. They're 1870's, too, and thus won't fit with Copplestone's historically*.

*Yes, I know; "It's VSF, you don't need to worry about history". I'm afraid I don't buy this argument. If you ignore the history, then it isn't Victorian Science Fiction, is it? It's just boring old Steampunk.

Well,
Took advantage of BTD winter sale. Ordered 30 or so figs for about £16. Awaiting them now. Was trying to save money as I'm a bit skint and wanted to use what I had for the Ironclad hardware.
Not yet bought the copplestone but was looking at the sailors as an Ether flyer crew. Friend of mine has loads of early war germans that i read could be used virtually as they are.
So I am commited as far as BTD stuff goes but did have alook at Perry stuff which did look nice but cost more. Not sure what to do now.Are the BTD really that bad? :-[

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »
Well,
Took advantage of BTD winter sale. Ordered 30 or so figs for about £16. Awaiting them now. Was trying to save money as I'm a bit skint and wanted to use what I had for the Ironclad hardware.
Not yet bought the copplestone but was looking at the sailors as an Ether flyer crew. Friend of mine has loads of early war germans that i read could be used virtually as they are.
So I am commited as far as BTD stuff goes but did have alook at Perry stuff which did look nice but cost more. Not sure what to do now.Are the BTD really that bad? :-[

No, they're not bad at all, just not very 'good', either. Mediocre would sum them up, but perfectly usable. Oh, their helmets are awful though, you'll see what I mean.
On the subject of Perry; they are the opposite in terms of scale, and would look very odd next to Renegade's figures.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:54:48 PM »
No, they're not bad at all, just not very 'good', either. Mediocre would sum them up, but perfectly usable. Oh, their helmets are awful though, you'll see what I mean.
On the subject of Perry; they are the opposite in terms of scale, and would look very odd next to Renegade's figures.

So, making the best of the situation...will the BTD Brits sit ok alongside the Renegade Germans? :?

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:32 PM »

So, making the best of the situation...will the BTD Brits sit ok alongside the Renegade Germans? :?
I don't have any Renegade figures myself, but I think they should, yes. I'm sure someone on here can give a better answer.

Personally, I wouldn't use them together due to the 40-odd year difference between them, but that's up to you.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
I don't have any Renegade figures myself, but I think they should, yes. I'm sure someone on here can give a better answer.

Personally, I wouldn't use them together due to the 40-odd year difference between them, but that's up to you.

I was under the impression that theearly war uniform was pretty similar despite the time difference??? ??? If not, what range would you recommend for the Germans?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:44:45 PM by General M@yhem »

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »

I was under the impression that theearly war uniform was pretty similar despite the time difference??? ??? If not, what range would you recommend for the Germans?
Well, where are you setting your games? In the colonies? if so early war German uniforms will be very out of place. In Europe? then you'll have to add helmet spikes to the Brits.
Uniforms are indeed different, but don't forget the rifles etc too. Again, I'm sure someone elso can explain the differences much better than I.

And as for figures? Franco-Prussian War ranges will do, although not for colonial troops.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:25 PM »
Can't help you with your BTD query, but I can give you a RAFM comparison to the ranges you mentioned...

Included a sailor even though I ain't painted him yet, as he's what you asked about. Bear in mind the other figures are based (adding slightly to their height) and he isn't.

The RAFM boys aren't that much shorter, but they do look smaller compared to the others to the naked eye more than they do in this picture. I've no idea why that should be. They are aren't so bulky all round, I think, it isn't just their height.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:50 PM »
Probably the planetary colonies of Mars/Venus...
With my current budget I will have to settle for the early war germans in traditional Saxon attire. :(

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:56:36 PM »
Can't help you with your BTD query, but I can give you a RAFM comparison to the ranges you mentioned...

Included a sailor even though I ain't painted him yet, as he's what you asked about. Bear in mind the other figures are based (adding slightly to their height) and he isn't.

The RAFM boys aren't that much shorter, but they do look smaller compared to the others to the naked eye more than they do in this picture. I've no idea why that should be. They are aren't so bulky all round, I think, it isn't just their height.

Thanks Plynkes.They look ok(Copplestone). Might leave the RAFM for now.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:09 PM »
There are several difference between the Germans of 1914 and the 1870s/80s.  Colour of uniform is different but the cut is generally the same, so a different paint-job can fix that. Leather equipment is different, rifles are different. In the 19th Century the pickelhaube shone in all its glory, in 1914 it was hidden beneath a drab cloth cover.

That said, VSF is an area where folks draw their own lines in the sand as to what they will accept regarding this kind of thing, and a more relaxed attitude to historical accuracy is generally seen. After all, it could be viewed as a little... odd to be fretting over uniform details when one is bounding across the surface of Venus in a steam-driven walking-machine while shooting at dinosaurs and lizardmen. The overall ambiance of the thing has more merit than the finicky details, I think, perhaps. If your imaginary world is so different that humans are out among the stars who is to say it is not different in other smaller ways, too? You have to decide for yourself how fussy you are going to be.

Offline General M@yhem

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »
There are several difference between the Germans of 1914 and the 1870s/80s.  Colour of uniform is different but the cut is generally the same, so a different paint-job can fix that. Leather equipment is different, rifles are different. In the 19th Century the pickelhaube shone in all its glory, in 1914 it was hidden beneath a drab cloth cover.

That said, VSF is an area where folks draw their own lines in the sand as to what they will accept regarding this kind of thing, and a more relaxed attitude to historical accuracy is generally seen. After all, it could be viewed as a little... odd to be fretting over uniform details when one is bounding across the surface of Venus in a steam-driven walking-machine while shooting at dinosaurs and lizardmen. The overall ambiance of the thing has more merit than the finicky details, I think, perhaps. If your imaginary world is so different that humans are out among the stars who is to say it is not different in other smaller ways, too? You have to decide for yourself how fussy you are going to be.

To be honest, that was my take on it all. A bit of historcally inaccurate fun(understatement). Can't really afford to go down the line of repainting my figs and think my friend may object if i re do his early war huns. ;)
I'll do what I can and hope you guys can forgive me when/if I post my pics. :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:03:43 AM by General M@yhem »

Offline answer_is_42

• Mastermind
  • Mostly Harmless.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »
I'll do what I can and hope you guys can forgive me when/if I post my pics. :)
Well, now, I won't be angry, just, disappointed...
 ;)